Knowing (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Knowing (SPOILERS)

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, picked up this Nicholas Cage sci fi flick at HMV for a few quid the other day. Watched it tonight with the parents. What the hell was going on when they wrote it?

It felt like two films mashed together. One about some guy making a terrible prediction, trying to stop it but making it happen anyway. And the second some religious End Times bollocks with Angels saving the children and taking them back to Eden (complete with a beautiful tree, for goodness sake dont eat those apples).

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone explain what the hell is up with it?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Re: Knowing (SPOILERS)

Post by neoolong »

Pretty sure that's mostly exactly what's going on. There's some stuff about free will and predeterminism, but it takes a solid stance on that one.

It's funny how much Cage and the rest do in the film ultimately means absolutely nothing.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Best I can tell the only meaningful thing he does is get Caleb and Abbey to the landing site. And that's it. And if they hadn't made it, it still wouldn't have been the end of humanity since there were a bunch of other ships going off.

Right up until the "everyone else is going to die" bit I was thinkgin they were goign to try and stop it somehow. But then...how do you stop a CME?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ok, picked up this Nicholas Cage sci fi flick at HMV for a few quid the other day. Watched it tonight with the parents. What the hell was going on when they wrote it?

It felt like two films mashed together. One about some guy making a terrible prediction, trying to stop it but making it happen anyway. And the second some religious End Times bollocks with Angels saving the children and taking them back to Eden (complete with a beautiful tree, for goodness sake dont eat those apples).

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone explain what the hell is up with it?
There's your problem.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

In my personal "headcanon" for that movie, it's still the end of humanity, because the "angaliens," as I call them, just drop a bunch of kids off on some alien world and leave, without so much as telling them where they can find water, or what the local predators look like. My prediction is that the kids are all dead within two weeks of landing.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

My biggest problem with the film was that the aliens were observing us and trying to communicate for decades, and during all this time failed to figure out that they were doing it in the creepiest, most terrifying way possible. I'm sure they must have seen a horror movie or two in that time, and realized that their appearance and messages are presented in a way that we will not to react positively to.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I don't know if they really cared. They could have saved vastly more people than they did. That's kinda douchey.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@