News on Doctor Who series 7 and the 50th anniversary special

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

News on Doctor Who series 7 and the 50th anniversary special

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.tvovermind.com/doctor-who/do ... 0th/106854
We're still about five weeks away from seeing Doctor Who in the 2011 Christmas special, "The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe." But what about beyond that? Well, it's been confirmed today that Matt Smith will be returning for next year's thirteen-episode seventh series. Smith has also confirmed a return for the 2012 Christmas special and, most importantly, the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who special.

The much-anticipated special, which will air in 2013, will mark a half-century since the show first premiered back in 1963. Not many details are known about the special yet, but rumored are returns from previous Doctor Who cast members, including previous Doctors David Tennant, Paul McGann, and others.

Read TVOvermind's review of Doctor Who: The Complete Sixth Series here.

News of Smith's return was broken by the official twitter of Doctor Who Magazine. Filming for the thirteen-episode seventh series will reportedly begin in February.

Smith's tenure on the show began in 2010 with "The End of Time, Part 2," and continued on through the fifth and sixth series. The 2012 Christmas special will be Smith's third, following 2010's "A Christmas Carol" and this year's "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe."

With Doctor Who's seventh series slated to premiere in fall 2012 (as opposed to the spring, when it has typically premiered), the 2012 Christmas special might actually fall in the middle of series 7, if the show takes a midseason break as it did this year.

Series 6 left off with the Doctor going into hiding after faking his own death at the shores of Lake Silencio. With the rest of the universe believing him to have been killed by River Song, the Doctor intends to continue his adventures much more conspicuously.

Doctor Who will return on Christmas day with "The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe." Series 7 will premiere in fall 2012.
Mostly good news. I'm glad to have confirmation that Matt Smith is sticking around. I hope the rumours of Tennant and McGann returning prove true.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: News on Doctor Who series 7 and the 50th anniversary spe

Post by Broomstick »

How many of the former Doctors are still alive? Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccelston, David Tennant, right? Granted, some of them are pretty old now, but they could show up as a voice over a communication device, thereby mainlining the tradition that when there are multi-doctor shows at least one of them gets caught in some bizarro warp/time scoop/whatever.

Eccleston seems to have zero interest in ever coming back, but T. Baker's voice is highly distinctive, so "showing" up as a voice over a radio or phone might work well.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Sylvester McCoy could probably show up again without too much explanation (his hair is a little greyer and his wrinkles a little deeper, but he still looks basically the same as he did during his original run.) Tom Baker and Peter Davison woud be a bit more difficult, as their ageing is far more obvious, and Colin Baker is almost unrecognizable from his '80s appearance.

Ageing wouldn't be much of an issue for Paul McGann, since we don't know how much time passed between the '96 movie and his regeneration (and Time Lords do age within a given regeneration, albeit more slowly than humans do.) Eccleston and Tennant's runs, of course, are recent enough that they could jump back in fairly easily.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Drooling Iguana wrote:Sylvester McCoy could probably show up again without too much explanation (his hair is a little greyer and his wrinkles a little deeper, but he still looks basically the same as he did during his original run.) Tom Baker and Peter Davison woud be a bit more difficult, as their ageing is far more obvious, and Colin Baker is almost unrecognizable from his '80s appearance.
Indeed.

Colin Baker
ImageImage

Tom Baker
ImageImage

Peter Davison
ImageImage
What is WRONG with you people
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

What is this "mid-season break" crap that's been cropping up of late? They never bothered with it in the past. I'm presuming it's some Americanism that's snuck in somehow.

Also, that article has an amusing typo:
With the rest of the universe believing him to have been killed by River Song, the Doctor intends to continue his adventures much more conspicuously.
Kinda defeats the point of it really.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

That's got to be a typo, no way is Moffat that stupid.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The idea of him having to avoid being conspicuous seems strange as well. He's a time traveller for goodness sake, it's not like he's been erased from Time of something. He could just claim that his current wackiness is from his life before Silencio.

I'm not complaining about it though. "Let's save the universe!!" has got sooo boring.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:What is this "mid-season break" crap that's been cropping up of late? They never bothered with it in the past. I'm presuming it's some Americanism that's snuck in somehow.
Hey, don't blame us! It never happened over here until the past few years, either!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Broomstick wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:What is this "mid-season break" crap that's been cropping up of late? They never bothered with it in the past. I'm presuming it's some Americanism that's snuck in somehow.
Hey, don't blame us! It never happened over here until the past few years, either!
Meh, I'll attribute it to you yanks anywhere, because it uses the americanism of "season" not "series."

Humbug. Now I'm feeling old.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Meh, I'll attribute it to you yanks anywhere, because it uses the americanism of "season" not "series."

Humbug. Now I'm feeling old.
A pox on you! At least we have proper seasons of around two dozen episodes. Not the UK idea of "oh, let's make six episodes and call it a series".

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

A pox? Ha, that's old. We killed smallpox and I already had chickenpox. So pfffft to you.

On a more serious note, series have shrunk. Just look at oldWho. Ok, might only have been six stories per sereis, but that meant 24 or 30 episodes.

Ah, the lost days of yore.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I can't help but think that part of the reason for fewer episodes per series/season is the cost per episode. Let's face it, Old Who had a teeny budget compared to New Who, and it was especially apparent in the props/effects.

I dunno, would you prefer 40 episodes where the sets were cardboard and appeared to be constructed by 12 year olds as a school project or 12 episodes with whiz-bang special effects and great looking sets?

Or maybe we could just spend more money on competent writers?

Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

OldWho episodes were also half as long as NuWho ones (with the exception of Colin Baker's first year, but it only had 13 episodes.) When Christmas specials are factored in, NuWho has more actual screen-time per year than any season of OldWho from the '70s onward.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

True on the budget thing. I'd rather have a good story than effects. Poor effects are tolerable if the story is good. The reverse is not true (just look at 2012..or don't).

This is why some of the really classic stories I watch again and again. I must have seen "The Daleks," "The Dalek Invasion of Earth," "The Tomb of the Cybermen," "The Invasion," "The War Games" and "Inferno" dozens of times each. In every case the story is enough to keep me gripped and overlook the effects.

EDIT: Incidentally, today being the 23rd it's 48 years since DW first aired. Wow. And my dad remembers seeing the very first episode.

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Drooling Iguana wrote:OldWho episodes were also half as long as NuWho ones (with the exception of Colin Baker's first year, but it only had 13 episodes.) When Christmas specials are factored in, NuWho has more actual screen-time per year than any season of OldWho from the '70s onward.
But the individual stories were much longer. Sure, this meant the bad ones were repetitive dross, but it meant that the good ones had far more time to develop the plot, whereas the renewed series can frequently feel very rushed by comparison. I also think the greater number of episodes in a serial led to better pacing than the new two-parters.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

I really think the only old actor they ought to even consider is McGann. The others are just too old.

I wonder if an animated special could work. Then they could have the old sets as well as actors.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Johonebesus wrote:I really think the only old actor they ought to even consider is McGann. The others are just too old.

I wonder if an animated special could work. Then they could have the old sets as well as actors.
Yeah, but I doubt they'll do that.

I'd be fine with McGann, Tennant, and Smith, and perhaps one of the others in a voice only appearance as Broomstick suggested.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I was going to comment on Colin Baker's aging, as he autographed an item for me a few years ago when him, McCoy and Katy Manning visited Perth for a show. Hillary however beat me to it with pics. The only thing the same about Colin was that he still had that distinctive voice.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Seele
Padawan Learner

Post by Seele »

One idea I have is that instead of playing the Doctor, perhaps the older actors could play bit roles. That way, while they aren't the Doctor per say, but still involved in the show as an Easter egg for the fans.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

mr friendly guy wrote:I was going to comment on Colin Baker's aging, as he autographed an item for me a few years ago when him, McCoy and Katy Manning visited Perth for a show. Hillary however beat me to it with pics. The only thing the same about Colin was that he still had that distinctive voice.
I remember seeing a documentary on DW a while back and wondering who the fat bloke they kept interviewing was. It never even occurred to me that he was Colin Baker until they captioned him. Wow!
What is WRONG with you people
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

That's why I say they should come up with a way for the older guys to appear just in voice - we saw a little of that in "The Almost People" when the Doctorganger was struggling with his past regenerations, with Tom Baker and David Tennant's voices. Not the same technique again, but something like that, to get a sense of the prior regenerations being there even if not actually present.

For that matter, if they brought the Doctorganger back he could be some not-quite formed humanoid shape with a prior Doctor's voice - perhaps one of the old farts under latex or something, allowing him to appear vastly altered in appearance yet still there in some sense. It would also avoid having to split-screen Matt Smith yet again. Really, the creepy uncanny valley faces of the gangers could cover up a lot of age, just add a wig of appropriate hair style and color.

Really, there are ways to pull this off. You could have Tennant show up as himself, as he hasn't aged that much, Paul McGann (since his regeneration could have lasted quite awhile, enough to visibly age), maybe McCoy, with either one of the Bakers or Davison (or even all three, trading turns at the part) as the Blobby Doctorganger. (Eccleston seems pretty firm he's not coming back).

Top it all off by having him regenerate at the end of the 50th anniversary into Doctor Twelve. You might get seven or eight Doctors into one blow-out story. The only hitch is, after spending all that money on effects and guest stars, they probably won't be able to afford a decent writer. Oh, well....

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two prior companions again - maybe one or two of the ones from Old Who (a few have shown up in the SJA), and I wouldn't mind seeing Wilford Mott again. And Rory. A kick ass story with Rory and leave Amy at home this time.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

If I were writing a 50th anniversary special, I wouldn't bother with trying to bring in any of the past Doctors. Instead, I'd craft a story about the legacy of the Doctor's life, the legacy of the Time Lords, and a reason why the Doctor ended up a lone renegade.

Suppose, in the mists of the Doctor's own history, a faction of Time Lords —opponents of the megalomaniacal President Morbius— foresaw the end of their entire race, that they would be consumed in a war with the Daleks or another temporal power, and made preparations for it. They set up a space/time safe zone within the Void, into which this Time Lord faction would be enclosed and from which they would be released to reemerge into the universe when the worst had passed. They would have their own Eye of Harmony and their own version of the Matrix with which to reestablish Time Lord civilisation on another planet or even on a space/time station (or series of them) and it would be down to one of their number to remain at large in the universe. This Time Lord would have that part of his memory erased or blocked, so that neither the High Council or any other faction would discover the secret, and it would be on him to leave Gallifrey and wander time and space, against the day when Gallifrey would be destroyed. The Time Lord selected for this would have been the Doctor, and his entire life has pointed toward his discovery of the key and the release of the Legacy of Gallifrey.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote:That's why I say they should come up with a way for the older guys to appear just in voice - we saw a little of that in "The Almost People" when the Doctorganger was struggling with his past regenerations, with Tom Baker and David Tennant's voices. Not the same technique again, but something like that, to get a sense of the prior regenerations being there even if not actually present.

For that matter, if they brought the Doctorganger back he could be some not-quite formed humanoid shape with a prior Doctor's voice - perhaps one of the old farts under latex or something, allowing him to appear vastly altered in appearance yet still there in some sense. It would also avoid having to split-screen Matt Smith yet again. Really, the creepy uncanny valley faces of the gangers could cover up a lot of age, just add a wig of appropriate hair style and color.

Really, there are ways to pull this off. You could have Tennant show up as himself, as he hasn't aged that much, Paul McGann (since his regeneration could have lasted quite awhile, enough to visibly age), maybe McCoy, with either one of the Bakers or Davison (or even all three, trading turns at the part) as the Blobby Doctorganger. (Eccleston seems pretty firm he's not coming back).

Top it all off by having him regenerate at the end of the 50th anniversary into Doctor Twelve. You might get seven or eight Doctors into one blow-out story. The only hitch is, after spending all that money on effects and guest stars, they probably won't be able to afford a decent writer. Oh, well....

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two prior companions again - maybe one or two of the ones from Old Who (a few have shown up in the SJA), and I wouldn't mind seeing Wilford Mott again. And Rory. A kick ass story with Rory and leave Amy at home this time.
I wouldn't try to include every living past Doctor unless the 50th. anniversary was multiple episodes: it'd be too hard to fit them all in. And it would be a shame to have a poor writer (though really I expect Moffat will write the 50th. himself if he's still the top writer then). I would very much like to see some old companions come back. No Rory without Amy though unless there's a very good reason. Knowing what we do about Amy and Rory, he wouldn't go anywhere without her voluntarily, and if they were sepperated, he'd spend all his time trying to get back to her (and God help anyone who got in his way).
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Broomstick wrote:How many of the former Doctors are still alive? Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccelston, David Tennant, right? Granted, some of them are pretty old now, but they could show up as a voice over a communication device, thereby mainlining the tradition that when there are multi-doctor shows at least one of them gets caught in some bizarro warp/time scoop/whatever.

Eccleston seems to have zero interest in ever coming back, but T. Baker's voice is highly distinctive, so "showing" up as a voice over a radio or phone might work well.
well the curly hair is now white, and theres not as much of it before,, he's got some wrinkles, but those piercing eyes and that voice are still there....

damn no chance of Sarah Jane or The Brigadire shwing up for the 50th.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Broomstick wrote:How many of the former Doctors are still alive? Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccelston, David Tennant, right? Granted, some of them are pretty old now, but they could show up as a voice over a communication device, thereby mainlining the tradition that when there are multi-doctor shows at least one of them gets caught in some bizarro warp/time scoop/whatever.

well the curly hair is now white, and theres not as much of it before,, he's got some wrinkles, but those piercing eyes and that voice are still there....

damn no chance of Sarah Jane or The Brigadire shwing up for the 50th.....
I probably still wouldn't bring Tom Baker back if his return in the BBC and Big Finish audios are anything to go by. He sounds like a different character.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."