Modern Earth vs Chaos Daemons

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Modern Earth vs Chaos Daemons

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

Inspired by the Burning Legiobn vs Modern Earth thread.

So, a CERN experiment involving exotic particles opens a Warp rift 500 metres wide in the middle of Geneva, Switzerland. Out of the rift come Chaos Daemons from Warhammer 40K, eager on devoting this new world to the Chaos Gods with copious amounts of slaughter.

The forces that come out of the portal:

Skulltaker, Herald of Khorne
888 Lesser Daemons of Khorne
Herald of Slaanesh
666 Lesser Daemons of Slaanesh
Herald of Tzeentch
999 Lesser Daemons of Tzeentch
Herald of Nurgle
777 Lesser Daemons of Nurgle
16 Soul Grinders

The 'natural' duration of the Warp rift is six months, although the rampages of the Daemon army may increase that duration. Nuking it will not close it, and no, the GEOM doesn't exist in this reality.

Can modern-day Earth survive?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Modern Earth vs Chaos Daemons

Post by Purple »

This is a hard one. Can normal weapons (the ones that are not magic demon killing emperor/psychic imbued magic holy weapons) defeat the greater demons? That would really be the main problem that I see.

With the lesser demons you could always blow them away with artillery and air power. Sure it would take some trial and error and some losses but its not so big of an issue. But unless we can banish the heralds we are pretty much boned as they will just keep summoning more and corrupting people to join their cause.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

Purple wrote:This is a hard one. Can normal weapons (the ones that are not magic demon killing emperor/psychic imbued magic holy weapons) defeat the greater demons? That would really be the main problem that I see.
I'm not sure, honestly.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

It really depends on the daemon. Some have been killed with conventional firepower (I recall an example of a Krieg tank commander taking out a Keeper of Secrets that was ripping open his tank by shooting the ammo racks); on the other hand, a lance strike from the battlebarge Flamewrought fails to kill a daemon of some significance in Nocturne (albeit a restrained lance strike, what with the proximity of Chapter Master Tu'Shan (sheltering inside a Land Raider) to the target zone).
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

My understanding is that most daemons will subcumb to extreme firepower. To manifest in the materium, they need physical bodies, which are unnaturally resilient, and if the body is destroyed the worse thing that happens is they're returned to the Warp. From which they could possibly re-emerge, if the Warp Rift is still open.

The hard part is more likely to be the corruption and other exotic capabilities of the daemons. Tzeentchian daemons wield sorcery, something modern armies have little experience dealing in. Anyone who hears a plaguebearer's chanting is stricken with Nurgle's Rot etc.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

would we even need to do anything? The chaos gods aren't exactly on friendly terms. They might just come out of the portal and start kicking the shit out of each other.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Crateria
Padawan Learner

Post by Crateria »

Darksider wrote:would we even need to do anything? The chaos gods aren't exactly on friendly terms. They might just come out of the portal and start kicking the shit out of each other.
There's probably going to be a lot of lives lost as the fighting is likely to roll into densely populated areas.
Damn you know it. You so smart you brought up like history and shit. Laying down facts like you was a blues clues episode or something. How you get so smart? Like the puns and shit you use are wicked smart, Red Letter Moron! HAHAHAHAH!1 Fucks that is funny, you like should be on TV with Jeff Dunham and shit.-emersonlakeandbalmer
God is like the strict dad while Satan is the cool uncle who gives you weed. However sometimes he'll be a dick and turn you in.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

They do unite from time to time, and if they're pouring into the Materium through the same warp rift, they're probably on good terms (at the moment).
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

Cykeisme wrote:They do unite from time to time, and if they're pouring into the Materium through the same warp rift, they're probably on good terms (at the moment).
Insomuch as "devour as many humans and their souls as you can before one of the others can" constitutes "good terms."
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Silvertongue
Redshirt

Post by Silvertongue »

With real daemons around, it'll be real easy to recruit suicide bombers, this time with professionally designed equipment instead of backyard engineering.

Can Daemons be killed by exposure to extreme radiation?
Because the safest thing to do at that portal might be to air drop some unshielded fission reactors.
Assuming some of the daemons might come right back after you kill them. Could these daemons be wounded, and then encased in concrete or frozen with liquid nitrogen? Anything in the Codex against this?
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

It's not so much that their corpses would re-animate - their physical bodies would dissolve into the air on 'death' and then they'd re-emerge from the warp rift.

I'd say at a bare minimum Europe is completely fucked before any response can be mounted; the rest of the world might be able to hold the daemons back with carpet-nuking - but something to bear in mind is that many daemons have teleportation abilities, so even that wouldn't be a guaranteed success ... and then you'd have to worry about corruption.

I think this would be a complete out-of-context problem, and that the daemons would conquer the world and make us their playthings for the rest of eternity.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

I am the original proposer of the Burning Legion VS Modern Day Earth question, and I endorse this thread.

One thing you have to consider though is the time period of the invasion - the scenario takes place in 3rd millennium Earth. According to canon, at that time the first three Chaos gods had only been formed relatively recently in the last few centuries, weak due to a lack of human and other sentient species' presence in the warp. It took tens of thousands of years and much conflict and strife that feeds the Warp before mass daemonic outbreaks and invasions really began.

Any daemons that exists now would be relatively fewer and less powerful than the ones in the 41st Millennium due to the weaker presence of the warp. Even if they time travel here the smaller presence of the warp in Modern Day Earth would make them weaker then they could be. That would severely affect their effectiveness in combat in the material world as well as limit the amount of corruption they could wrought. They would probably have a harder time trying to stay in the material world, let alone cause havoc. Many warp powers wield of champions of the Chaos gods would also be weaker or non-existent at all since they all depend on the power of the Warp and the Ruinous Powers to work, which would be weaker due to the lack of Warp power available.

In my opinion, Modern Day Earth could actually win, but probably not before much of the world and human civilization is reduced to ashes. That would create problems in the future.

Then remember, there is still the God Emperor, who is alive during the 3rd Millennium...
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

The OP specifies no GEOM, so that's out, and I get the impression that the intention of the VS is for daemons-as-they-exist-in-40k vs modern day Earth. Though I think your scenario is more interesting, because at least it leaves a chance for humanity to win.
In my opinion, Modern Day Earth could actually win, but probably not before much of the world and human civilization is reduced to ashes. That would create problems in the future.
Damn, I almost want to sig that :lol: .

Dwelf
Youngling

Post by Dwelf »

I think the biggest problem for modern day earth are the Nurglings. We saw with bird flu how something highly contagious can spread accross the planet. If even a single case with the plague made it to an international airport I think that would be game over.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I can already see the columns of refugees running toward the demons hoping to get caught in the Slaanesh zone rather than the others.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

You also have to factor in cultist's who will undoubtedly be trying to insure Chaos dominance of earth. Also is this the earth that eventually becomes the Imperium or our universe earth? With out Pykers to perpetuate the warp fractures the demons will not be able to hold the other continents very well, we will lose but they don't really win.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Silvertongue
Redshirt

Post by Silvertongue »

evilsoup wrote:It's not so much that their corpses would re-animate - their physical bodies would dissolve into the air on 'death' and then they'd re-emerge from the warp rift.
I should have been more clear. I meant that maybe the deamons can be captured, and encased in concrete. If something is invulnerable, but has finit strength, you might be able to overwhelm it with bolo weapons, nets. and high voltage. Then you drag the beast into a wet pit filled with concrete. Give it an airtube to breath, a tube up it's butt for feces, and peirce it's stomach for a feeding tube. The daemon can stay on earth in a special crypt, fed with the leftovers of a meat processing plant. The feces will be hurled back into the warp.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Than the demon just commits suicide and reforms in a new body. It's not like you can stop it from doing that since it has magic powers and you don't.

Silvertongue
Redshirt

Post by Silvertongue »

Purple wrote:Than the demon just commits suicide and reforms in a new body. It's not like you can stop it from doing that since it has magic powers and you don't.
Well. These ideas have to fight an uphill battle.
How would the daemon kill itself assuming it's completely restrained? I.e Breathing and feeding tubes jammed in mouth and down throat. Arms and legs tied. Catherer jammed up daemon but, eyes covered or removed.
Could the daemon be sedated, or preserved via cryonics?
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

You'd have to sink quite a lot of resources into doing that, even for a relatively minor daemon, but I don't see why it wouldn't be theoretically possible. But while you're doing that, other daemons will break down the doors of your facility and rape you to death. And even if you are successful, it's mere presence would have disturbing effects on the mental stability of your staff, it would try to psychically corrupt everyone around, all that stuff.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to worry about air or stopping excrement from building up - daemons are creatures of the Immaterium, they don't follow our rules and they don't need food or air.

And of course, that could only possibly work on those daemons without teleporting abilities.

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

And the demon could just abandon the body at will and find a new one to posses. It's not like you sealed away anything other than the physical form that is not even its own to begin with.

Silvertongue
Redshirt

Post by Silvertongue »

evilsoup wrote:You'd have to sink quite a lot of resources into doing that, even for a relatively minor daemon, but I don't see why it wouldn't be theoretically possible. But while you're doing that, other daemons will break down the doors of your facility and rape you to death. And even if you are successful, it's mere presence would have disturbing effects on the mental stability of your staff, it would try to psychically corrupt everyone around, all that stuff.
I was thinking that the facility could be the field where they catch the demon. Shoot nets on it, taze it, and then throw it in a pit and pour concrete.
Do daemons even try to rescue each other? Would they bother unless it was a major daemon?
Per the OP, there is less than thousand of each, so the humans would not run out of concrete.
Can the daemons rescue another daemon whom you launched into space?
evilsoup wrote: Oh, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to worry about air or stopping excrement from building up - daemons are creatures of the Immaterium, they don't follow our rules and they don't need food or air.
That makes it much easier.

And of course, that could only possibly work on those daemons without teleporting abilities.[/quote]

Probably won't work on them.
Are there special rules about teleporting, like having to have been there before, or be able to see the location etc?
Does the deamon have to be able to move it's mouth to use magic?
Silvertongue
Redshirt

Post by Silvertongue »

Purple wrote:And the demon could just abandon the body at will and find a new one to posses. It's not like you sealed away anything other than the physical form that is not even its own to begin with.
That is a huge problem. Do deamons often abandon their bodies when captured?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

I don't think anyone ever tried to capture one. The usual response to demons is either hug it or kill it with fire.

Silvertongue
Redshirt

Post by Silvertongue »

Purple wrote:I don't think anyone ever tried to capture one. The usual response to demons is either hug it or kill it with fire.
When you read about daemons abandoning perfectly good bodies, where did they go, and were the new bodies as powerful?
If you have a source, i'm curious on how long it took.