Favorit Scy-fi Scene

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Re: Favorit Scy-fi Scene

Post by Hawkwings »

"No, I am your father."
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Patrick Degan wrote:The climax of Blade Runner, when Roy Batty saves Decker's life and then delivers his "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" eulogy as he's dying. One of the most beautiful moments in SF cinema.
I'm going to have to give a "+1" on this. Watched it again only a few months ago, and it hit me hard.
Mind you, I was feeling pretty maudlin at the time. And it was raining.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Hawkwings wrote:"No, I am your father."
"But how could they be jamming us if they don't know... if we're coming?" *oh, crap look*

From something outside of Star Wars, it'd probably be the Titan absorbing the Drej mothership to create a new planet. Of course, Cale has to go and name the new planet Bob.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Not necessarily my favorite movies....

The opening battle at the beginning of 'Star Trek' (2009) where Kirk's father rams the Romulan ship while talking to his wife and new son.

The scene in 'Soldier' where Kurt Russel's character fights his replacement on the climbing chains and rips his opponent's eye before being thrown down.

The scene in 'Serenity' when Mal leads approaches the Alliance fleet with the Reavers chasing him, and all hell breaks loose.
ThomasP
Padawan Learner

Post by ThomasP »

Stravo wrote:However nothing beats te goosebumps I always get with the scene from Babylon 5 when Sheridan is in the pit on Zhadum and Lorien is trying to convince him that he has to let go and find something worth living for. The goosebumps start right when Sheriden says:
These scenes would have been around the same episode (early S4 was some of the best B5) but I've always loved this one:

That scene is Peak Londo.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Londo is Babylon 5.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Thinking just about TV series:

- Star Trek DS9: the ending of In the Pale Moonlight.

- Doctor Who: I'm a sucker for anytime in nuWho where The Doctor uses his name alone to cow the monster(s) of the week, be it Ten's "You're in the biggest library in the universe, look me up" or Eleven's "I am talking" at Stonehenge.

- The X-Files: 'X-Cops' the crossover with the Cops tv series, awesome episode from start to finish.

- Futurama: The origional ending of the seires before the DVD movies, with Leela asking Fry to keep playing the opera for her even though he no longer has the talent.

And a couple from video games just to throw them in there:
- Cave Johnson in Portal 2, all of him, following his descent from a bright new day, optimistic, science can do everything billionaire all the way down to a broken shell of a man culminating in his excellent "When life gives you lemons" speech. And it's a story entirely told through audio recordings, a major credit to JK Simmons that he can essentially tell that story on his own and have it work so well.

- Mordin's loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2. Personally I think this is some of the best writing in all of science fiction, not just video games and is the first time a video game has actualy got me to think about serious issues like abortion, what constitutes genocide (or a war crime), the needs of a galaxy against the rights of a species and more, while still being in the framework of a game and not being too anvilicious, it just lets you take your own position and go with it.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Stofsk wrote:He had also gotten slashed to the chest by Pinbacker or whatever the dude's name was. So when he fell he fell onto his wound. But he gets up, because billions of people are counting on him. Really powerful stuff. The music was awesome and it was used earlier in the film during Kaneda's exit scene. 'Kaneda- WHAT DO YOU SEE?!?!?'
You're so dead on with this; I rewatched the movie again and it's like a linked collection of my favourite scyfi scenes. Some of them even involve spaceships! Who knew there was a way to have people reflect on saving the human race without constantly whining about whether it's worth it?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

SG-1, Season 6, "Disclosure." Kinsey in a verbal sparring match with Thor:

KINSEY: "Well, commander...." (raises finger to make a point)
THOR: (raises finger to annoy Kinsey and interrupts) "Supreme commander...."

That line and the finger get me every time.

Either that or the scene in "Lost City" where Kinsey get's his commupance:

HAYES: "Consider your resignation accepted."
KINSEY: "You can't do that!"
HAYES: "Oh please, I've got enough on you to have you shot!"

Stargate has a whole bunch of awesome bits.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So, it really cut down to the core of the whole "disaster/blowing up meteor with nuke" movie which all those other blockbusters failed to touch (because they have all their heroes spouting one liners and shit and being Bruce Willis). Space Cillian was a pencil-necked scrawny shit, and yet everyone in the ship counted on him to do shit right and not fuck up, which was what Captain America said too. That Fat Chinese Guy fucked up, and it got to him, and he killed himself. All the other guys were also getting their screws a bit too tight. And the stress and the pressure was getting to Cillian, except when it came down to it, he manned up while everyone else in the spaceship died, suited himself up and went EVA and then we got treated to a scene of Goldman versus the Sun and Goldman won and saved the Earth! Bitchin'.

Danny Boyle makes such awesome movies where he takes cliche'd sci-fi scenarios (zombie invasion, space disaster save the world) and actually delves deeply into the characters involved to study their inherent humanity rather than "lol headshot zombie" or "bruce willis kills the asteroid" or whatever.

Which isn't to say that Armageddon wasn't awesome. Because it was. The Armageddon with the space meteors, not the one with Stuart Slade balls.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

When you have a guy that hates you killing himself to help you, and you can sell that without resorting to explicit acknowledgement of it, that's good drama.

Mace is my favourite. 8)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Speaking of Mace, I should add the "Yuo're under arrest, my Lord." line from ROTS. Gotta love SLJ.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:That One Scene from Children of Men. You know, the long one.
I can't believe I didn't think of anything from Children of Men. I fucking lurve that movie. I think my favorite part is the ending. They make it to the buoy and wonder if they're too late. The jets fly overhead and bomb the crap out of the mainland. So many people have sacrificed their lives for the sake of one child. Theo's been shot and is bleeding all over the boat. Kee is trying to comfort her baby and Theo shows her how to hold her. Kee tells Theo that she'll name her baby after his son. Theo slumps over, possibly dead. Things look bleak, but then the ship shows up through the fog, and Kee tells baby Dylan that they're safe now. Then we cut to black and hear the sound of laughing children, and a single tear runs down my cheek.

For Star Wars I think my favorite moment has got to be:

Leia: I love you!

Han: I know.

And on a brighter note, I really like the intro of Wall-E. I'm not a fan of Hello Dolly but that song gives the movie a nice upbeat introduction. And then, er wait. That movie opens with the desolate trash covered wasteland that was once our beloved planet. Oh well, Wall-E is playing Minecraft. That's pretty encouraging. And he uses a hubcap as a hat to dance along with the pretty people on the TV. How can that not bring a smile to your face.

Oh, and since people have started throwing in videogame examples I think I'll throw in one of my fav's.

"The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN."
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

The final scene of the final episode of Blake's 7.

The look of Avon's face when he thinks that Blake has betrayed them.

"Is it true?"
"Avon, it's me, Blake!"
"Stand still! ...Have you betrayed us..? Have you betrayed me?"

Spock/Kirk never had anything on Blake/Avon, it's written all over their faces! And then Avon kills Blake - the man he loves, the man whose leadership and friendship turned him from a self-serving cynic to an idealistic freedom fighter - over a misunderstanding.

And then the whole crew is killed: not by Travis or Servalan or any of her bizarre secret weapons - but by a small team of masked, faceless soldiers, mirroring the killing of the Earth resistance cell in the very first episode. And then Avon realises his mistake, that Blake was playing his usual stupid games, that he hadn't betrayed them. Surrounded by Federation soldiers, he stands over Blake's body, raises his gun, smiles (he was always complaining that Blake would get them killed, and he was right!) - and then it cuts to the credits with the sounds of guns firing.

Oh, and consummate coward Vila dies with a gun in his hand.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

The scene that sold me on Firefly. After being somewhat entertained by "Train Job" on its first airing and all its wacky "cowboys in space!" vibes, I was ready to write the show off as "meh" until the following exchange:

Finally the hero does what any thinking person should do when the bad guy says "I will hunt you down! You'll never be safe from me!"
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Stark wrote:When you have a guy that hates you killing himself to help you, and you can sell that without resorting to explicit acknowledgement of it, that's good drama.

Mace is my favourite. 8)
Wow, I had totally forgotten Captain America's freezing to death bit. Another good Boyle/Murphy combo. I had only caught Sunshine when it was released on DVD. Seeing it on a digital screen in a theater must have been pretty damn sweet.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Some great scenes from two of my favourite shows have been brought up (see my username).
Bladerunner has many memorable scenes - the already mentioned Roy Batty death scene, when Roy finds Pris's body, visuals of the Tyrell corporation building, when Rachel asks Deckard if the test is to see if she is a lesbian, etc.
Planet of the Apes where Taylor sees the wreckage of the Statue of Liberty.
"The last starfighter is ... dead" dialogue from that movie.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Most of my favorite scenes have already been covered, but I'm rather fond of the end of Moon. I guess it's actually several scenes, but from when he put the dying clone back into the crashed rover to when the jamming tower went down hit me harder than any movie in recent memory.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Ok, you all have named a lot that's very good (especially Roy Batty and ST: II when Enterprise is charging for the Mutara Nebula with Horner's score soaring), so I'm going to turn back the clock for some more good dialogue:

Them! When they're planning the nest's eradication in New Mexico:
"How can you be sure you got them all?"
"We go into the nest and find out."

The Day The Earth Stood Still: "I'm impatient with stupidity."

Quatermass and the Pit: Quatermass explaining to the British Defense Minister how we owe humanity's existence and civilization to the intervention of Martian insects.

X: The Unknown. "It came in through the grill."
"When I can make that radio sound right without putting that [isotope] back in the box, that'll be a good trick."

DW and the Ark in Space: The whole "Humanity ready to ride out Eternity" speech by the Doctor.

And of course Farscape: The Maltese Crichton final scene, where no words are needed for the "compatibility kiss", only great music and acting.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Londo Mollari's telling of the Earth-Minbari war to the three young Centauri during In the Beginning, specifically this scene.
Following that is another B5 scene, where Sheridan tells the Vorlon and Shadows the, and I quote, "Now get the hell out of our galaxy!"
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"Silent Running": The hero running through the soon-to-be destroyed bioship, and remembering all the things he (and earth) had lost.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

"Stop! No further! I deny you, I give you up!"

The end of Forbidden Planet.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

Batman wrote:And, of course, nuWho's 'Bad Wolf'. 'No.' 'EXPLAIN YOURSELF!' 'I said No.' 'What IS THE MEANING OF THIS NEGATIVE?' 'It means no.' 'BUT SHE WILL BE DESTROYED!' 'No. Cause this is what I'm going to do. I'm gonna rescue her. I'm gonna save Rose Tyler from the middle of a Dalek fleet, and then I'm gonna save the Earth, and then, just to finish you off, I'm gonna wash every stinking Dalek out of the sky!'
'BUT YOU HAVE NO WEAPONS, NO DEFENSES, NO PLAN!' 'Yeah. And doesn't that scare you to death. Rose?-I'm coming to get you.'
I agree wholeheartedly, their discovery was one of the biggest 'oh shit!' moments I've seen in a television program.

Other moments include the scene where Neo vanquishes Smith in the first Matrix, the ending scene of Waters of Mars, and the destruction of the Death Star in IV.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Most things have been mentioned, but the Deathstalker thinks that Optimus Prime's arrival in the cartoon Transformers movie is one of the best scenes in sci-fi. He steps of the ship, see Autobot city in ruins and dead Autobots about and proceeds to kick Decepticon ass BY RUNNING THEM OVER and then transforms and starts gunning them down. Prime had to die, because he couldn't top that performance!
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]