Necrons vs. GE

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Re: Necrons vs. GE

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Purple wrote: Well, the hate is not so much directed against the C'tan but against the whole change in lore that they necessitated.
You see, back in the day things sounded a bit different in 40K. Like for example, there was newer any talk of the old ones. The Eldar gods were something closer to warp gods and not just Old Ones/Old One constructs.
How are they not warp gods now? The Orks have warp gods still and they didn't become "Old one constructs" - whatever the fuck that term is supposed to mean.
The Emperor was likewise not an Old One/Old One construct or what ever they like to paint him as but actually simply the greatest of all man kind.
As far as I know this hasn't changed. Where was it stated that the Emperor was a product of the Old Ones? Or, for that matter, humanity was?
You had a feeling that yes its grimdark and yes things are going to shit but at least it had some meaning. Now the whole thing just turns out the be the meaningless fallout of some war that happened ages ago.
What is "meaningless" about the Necrons? There's nothing in there that was inconsistent about them. The backstory about early times in 40K has never been fleshed out that well to begin with, so I don't see where slipping the Necrons in required these massive changes.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Connor MacLeod wrote:How are they not warp gods now? The Orks have warp gods still and they didn't become "Old one constructs" - whatever the fuck that term is supposed to mean.
Warp gods as in chaos gods or similar things born from concepts of thought.
As far as I know this hasn't changed. Where was it stated that the Emperor was a product of the Old Ones? Or, for that matter, humanity was?
I am not into more recent lore. But from what I have heard from my friends that still fallow it there are hints to that nature. If not, my bad.
What is "meaningless" about the Necrons? There's nothing in there that was inconsistent about them. The backstory about early times in 40K has never been fleshed out that well to begin with, so I don't see where slipping the Necrons in required these massive changes.
And that is the point. They newer fleshed it out and that was good. Without the whole Orks and Eldar created for war vs Necrons story the whole setting was much better. You had the feeling that they were just races born and grown (well the Eldar) on their own like humanity and could even draw a parallel between the old Eldar empire and human kind. You had the sense that it is a universe where you can prosper and succeed if you try as humanity almost made it. Now it just feels cheap with either Old Ones did it or C'tan did it being the solution to all questions.

It is purely a mater of taste. But in my taste the whole batch is rotten.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
The Reaper
Redshirt

Post by The Reaper »

The Old Ones did create Humans...
Long ago, before the Fall, the Mon-keigh were nothing. They were comical tree beasts, part of the eco-system of their world, but with no greater role defined for them by the Old Ones. That was before the God War between the C'tan-led Necrons and the Old Ones, supported by their successor races, had almost consumed the galaxy. In the aftermath of the conflict many worlds were devastated, and it took time to rebuild them. In this power vacuum the lesser creations of the Old Ones, such as the Mon-keigh, developed in unforeseeable ways."
Pg.9 Necron Codex
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the Internet.

There is only WAAAAGGHHH!
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

C'tan fragments sounds suspiciously like the Avatar of Khaine, version star vampire. Perfectly fair play. Like warp gods, C'tan seem to be largely energy (albeit of a different type) so a low powered fragment could get us the Necron greater daemon equivalent. The rebellion against the C'tan sounds very interesting. They coke heads certainly had it coming, but you can say that about most guys in 40K.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Has a "height" limit ever been established for the Necron destroyers yet, or are they pure spacecraft posing as skimmers?

Also, I will echo Purple view that the Old Ones wars made it too much like a Warhammer clone rather than a distinct franchise on its own. The Old Gods setting suited Warhammer, Wh40k...... not that much
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

PainRack wrote:Has a "height" limit ever been established for the Necron destroyers yet, or are they pure spacecraft posing as skimmers?
They have an operational ceiling in 'Caves of Ice' it seems, where they can't follow an evacuating spacecraft; though they may just have been falling behind.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Reaper
Redshirt

Post by The Reaper »

PainRack wrote:Has a "height" limit ever been established for the Necron destroyers yet, or are they pure spacecraft posing as skimmers?

Also, I will echo Purple view that the Old Ones wars made it too much like a Warhammer clone rather than a distinct franchise on its own. The Old Gods setting suited Warhammer, Wh40k...... not that much
In Caves of Ice they were unable to go into orbit, just really high.

Ninja'd
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the Internet.

There is only WAAAAGGHHH!