Transformers: Dark of the Moon

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Magellan
Youngling

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Post by Magellan »

I hate to be Mr. Trailer Criticism guy again, but

1. Who thought it would be a good idea to give Shia a gun?
2. And holy crap the trailer music was wank. I just made up a new drinking game, drink every time you hear the epic horns.

I don't think it'll be very good as far as turn your brain off actioners go. What are your impressions?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Man I'm just getting sick of Sam shouting "OPTIMUS!!!!!" every 5min in the movie.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Man I'm just getting sick of Sam shouting "OPTIMUS!!!!!" every 5min in the movie.
THANK YOU!!!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Eh, the only thing that really bugs me is that they're going with an asshole bureaucrat, again, and the government dicking with the Autobots, again, when you'd think they would have learned their lesson from the last movie.

Other than that, it looks like a decent turn-off-the-brain action movie, with plenty of special effects goodness. And I can only assume the Autobots are a secret thing is going right out the window after they've won the day.

One thing I wonder is, how will they utterly punk F-22s again in this movie? :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I like it how it looks like the Decepticons are just going to dominate in this film. There's not going to be nearly as much military-wank as in the last one, there's no awesome huge cavalry coming in to save the day.

Anyway, trailer looks good. They're still hiding Megatron from us, though we know what he looks like from the released toy images.

Shockwave looks badass.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ellindsey
Youngling

Post by Ellindsey »

I know that I really, really shouldn't let little things like physics and logic bother me in a Michael Bay Movie, but when something crashes on the moon and leaves a visible train of fire and smoke as it skids across the surface, with clouds of dust somehow suspended in the vacuum around it ... apparently the moon has an oxygen atmosphere in the movie-transformers universe. Yeah, brainless action movie, I know, but it's not a good sign when I can't get five seconds into the trailer without by SOD breaking from physics abuse.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I wonder if that a Space Bridge forming on the moon?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Ellindsey wrote:I know that I really, really shouldn't let little things like physics and logic bother me in a Michael Bay Movie, but when something crashes on the moon and leaves a visible train of fire and smoke as it skids across the surface, with clouds of dust somehow suspended in the vacuum around it ... apparently the moon has an oxygen atmosphere in the movie-transformers universe. Yeah, brainless action movie, I know, but it's not a good sign when I can't get five seconds into the trailer without by SOD breaking from physics abuse.
I didn't think the same, the flames and smoke are limited and seem to be coming from inside the ship. Why robots would need an atmosphere in their ship is a different question. As for the kicked up dust and smoke, as seen here from Apollo 17's mission videos, kicked up dust does not fall any faster on the moon, while there is no atmosphere to hold it in suspension the far lower gravity makes a difference. As the scene itself is a whopping 4 seconds, the ship looks to be the size of a small frigate, it would be more unrealistic if it fell in that time. I'm more surprised some of that dust didn't reach escape velocity.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

If Optimus' comment that "the fight will be your own" implies that the Autobots will leave Earth at the end of the movie, then I gotta hand it to them, that's a nice gesture to provide some closure for the trilogy. Maybe the script will be a ton better in this one after all without the writer's strike in the way, which is setting the bar pretty low but whatever.
Ellindsey
Youngling

Post by Ellindsey »

It's not the kicked up dust that bothers me.

It's the kicked up dust that visibly lingers in the air as clouds that bothers me. You need air for that to happen. Also, the dust and smoke coming off the ship are visibly streaming backwards from the ship, which is what you would naturally expect if it's in an atmosphere, but in a vacuum would only happen if the ship was accelerating. And then there are the puffy clouds of expanding smoke, making shapes that you only get when expanding gas mixes turbulently with the surrounding atmosphere. And the tumbling pieces of debris leaving turbulent streamers of dust and smoke behind them. Fine dust and smoke particles just don't act like that in a vacuum.

Admittedly, it's a minor detail. I can't think of a single movie that actually bothered to take into account the way gas and dust behaves in a vacuum, and I shouldn't expect even remotely physics from either Michael Bay or Transformers movie. I expect that if the animators had actually managed to accurately depict an alien ship crashing on the moon, everyone would be complaining about how fake it looked, just like some moon hoax believers claim the Apollo films were faked because they don't look anything like how Hollywood would portray it.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Properly animating smoke and dust in vacuum would actually be a small technical milestone in film making. To best of my (albeit limited) knowledge there is no of the shelf software available that can accurately simulate particles in vacuum of space.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Sarevok wrote:Properly animating smoke and dust in vacuum would actually be a small technical milestone in film making. To best of my (albeit limited) knowledge there is no of the shelf software available that can accurately simulate particles in vacuum of space.
I suppose you could do it with a ship model in a vacuum chamber but that would probably expensive as nasa is one of the few places with vacuum chambers large enough to do it to a realistic scale.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I am not sure if a vacuum chamber be completely accurate either since there is still Earth gravity to contend with.
mdiinican
Redshirt

Post by mdiinican »

Film it with a high speed camera and slow down the final product to the appropriate level?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Ellindsey wrote:It's not the kicked up dust that bothers me.

It's the kicked up dust that visibly lingers in the air as clouds that bothers me. You need air for that to happen. Also, the dust and smoke coming off the ship are visibly streaming backwards from the ship, which is what you would naturally expect if it's in an atmosphere, but in a vacuum would only happen if the ship was accelerating. And then there are the puffy clouds of expanding smoke, making shapes that you only get when expanding gas mixes turbulently with the surrounding atmosphere. And the tumbling pieces of debris leaving turbulent streamers of dust and smoke behind them. Fine dust and smoke particles just don't act like that in a vacuum.

Admittedly, it's a minor detail. I can't think of a single movie that actually bothered to take into account the way gas and dust behaves in a vacuum, and I shouldn't expect even remotely physics from either Michael Bay or Transformers movie. I expect that if the animators had actually managed to accurately depict an alien ship crashing on the moon, everyone would be complaining about how fake it looked, just like some moon hoax believers claim the Apollo films were faked because they don't look anything like how Hollywood would portray it.
Yeah they do it like that because if they do it like how it would actually look people will think it's unrealistic. :|
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

I think they're just showing off the 3D, don't overthink it.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Well this is Stardestroyet.net. Calculating kilotons from how dust moves is what we do. :)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Other than the sidetrack into Moon Dust....

That was a Space Bridge... and the One-Eye is certainly Shockwave. What the snaky thing cutting the building in have is, I have No Clue.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Kinda reminds me of one of those Transorganic experiemnts of the Quintessons we saw in Season 3 of G1
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

DarkSilver wrote:Kinda reminds me of one of those Transorganic experiemnts of the Quintessons we saw in Season 3 of G1
Reminds me of Soundwave jacking the satellite in the second movie.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Ooooooohhhhh ..... shiny .... look at the shiny shiny.

On a more serious note, Shockwave is awesome, hopefully he kicks an appropriate amount of ass.
And apparently I'm in the minority as I quite like the live action transforemrs movies and I'm really looking forward to this one.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

A lot of us liked the first film, but Revenge of the Fallen was panned, at best.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:A lot of us liked the first film, but Revenge of the Fallen was panned, at best.
I enjoyed...well...the first scene of RotF. In Hong Kong? Aside from that, yeah, it was schlock.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

At least it can't be worse than Transformers 2 right? Or can it...
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

wautd wrote:At least it can't be worse than Transformers 2 right? Or can it...
Transformers 2 had a railgun shooting a giant robot, and some other robots being blown up by aerial bombardment.
That's about all i remember about that movie, and those scenes weren't bad :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)