Gravity gun Vs Portal gun

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which would you prefer?

Gravity Gun
13%
Aperture Science handheld portal device.
87%

Total votes: 55

Interlord1
Youngling

Gravity gun Vs Portal gun

Post by Interlord1 »

Just a quick poll to determine which people would find more useful, the portal device can only put portals on smooth white surfaces, and the gravity gun can pick up pretty much anything smaller than a washing machine and throw it.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: Gravity gun Vs Portal gun

Post by Serafina »

Picking up stuff is something i can do without a fancy gun, either manually or with all sorts of mundane equipment.
There is no such way to create portals.
Portal gun wins.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Portals can form on non-flatish surfaces, even if the portal will be flat.
Spoiler
You can briefly see a portal on non-smooth non white moon surface after the moonshot at the very end of Portal 2
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I can't exercise my right of Troll Science with the gravity gun.

Not to mention that the portal gun would allow me to cut my commute to school to a few steps, saving me 2 hours of time each day.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Since portals apparently require "portal conductors" to work (of which moonrocks are allegedly one of the best), I'm going with gravity gun. In non-testchamber settings, the portal gun is of massively limited utility.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Interlord1
Youngling

Post by Interlord1 »

Actually, I think the surfaces that portals can be placed on: Spoiler
Have to be covered in moon dust, that explains the conversion gel which is stated to be made of crushed moon rocks, the test chambers could be painted in conversion gel. And it explains how a portal could work on the moon.
I guess the portal gun would have to come with a few tubs of conversion gel.

Edit: If only I could edit the poll I would add the long fall boots to it, which, arguably would be the most useful.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Portal gun by a mile
Stepping boys, going to the moon, be right back
Hey NASA, got some good news and bad news!

*Edit
It's not a state secret what the moon rocks are made of Feldspar, Plagioclase, Armalcolite plus a few other minerals, all of which we have on earth or can synthesis.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Mr Bean wrote:It's not a state secret what the moon rocks are made of Feldspar, Plagioclase, Armalcolite plus a few other minerals, all of which we have on earth or can synthesis.
Not to mention you have a magic portal to the moon, the place where moon rocks come from.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Wait, how about the part where you get into the Portal facility's back rooms in the first game? Were all those backdoor's stuff, and those wide open building spaces, and the GlaDOS control room, all coated in moon shit?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Wait, how about the part where you get into the Portal facility's back rooms in the first game? Were all those backdoor's stuff, and those wide open building spaces, and the GlaDOS control room, all coated in moon shit?
No Moon shit makes an excellent "portal conductor" which means there are other materials that also serve as portal conductors but not as well or whatever. It seems for example you can form portals on ordinary steel walls but not overly rusted steel walls like in the old facilities and wood and concrete is right out.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Sela
Padawan Learner

Post by Sela »

Gravity Gun ftw. Military and technologic applications are all there for being able to control gravity, and a portal-gun without the protective leg-devices, I'd be terrified of killing myself or breaking a leg.
There is no surer aphrodisiac to a man than a woman who is interested in him.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I'm picking up the one that can make space-time it's little bitch: the portal gun.

Granted, there is a slight chance of a singularity within making a giant explosion, but hey, something for something.

Sure, you won't be doing the acrobatics like in the game, but it can still do pretty interesting stuff.

Oh, and those wanting to visit the moon: I hope you have a vacuum chamber and a space-suit ready.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Besides the other reasons, the Portal gun will give you a source of free energy (laws of conservation be damned!) Just zap a portal into the roof and floor, drop something in and you have perpetual motion. With, say, a big pool with the lower portal on the bottom you have yourself a perpetual motion waterfall that you can stick a water wheel into.

Or as Niven once suggested, set up such a dual portal arrangement at one of the poles (to avoid Coriolis forces) in a vacuum chamber. Drop some iron, and watch as it continuously falls; without any atmosphere to slow it down, it falls faster and faster and faster...

Or use it to build a linear accelerator/mass driver of effectively unlimited length, thanks to it having a portal at each end. With patience, you really can fire something at relativistic speeds!
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

On an individual scale, the portal gun looks more useful and more fun than the regular gravity gun, which can only pick up things as heavy as a radiator or a toilet. The super gravity gun is significantly more useful and might beat it. However from a 'science progress' point of view the portal gun wins without question, the portals have more scientific and technological implications than gravity manipulation, and the portal gun has a weak gravity gun built into it anyway (for catching / carrying stuff), so it's a two-for-one it terms of reverse engineering.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Not to mention that the "super" mode for the gravity gun appears to be a glitch or a result of some sort of overcharge, rather than an intended function.

I would be careful reverse-engineering either item (assuming you CAN). According to trailer-material, the thing contains a black hole of some kind.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zixinus wrote:I would be careful reverse-engineering either item (assuming you CAN). According to trailer-material, the thing contains a black hole of some kind.
That is not a very SCIENCE! friendly attitude. Perhaps you need some re-education in your local enrichment center... :)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Starglider wrote:
Zixinus wrote:I would be careful reverse-engineering either item (assuming you CAN). According to trailer-material, the thing contains a black hole of some kind.
That is not a very SCIENCE! friendly attitude. Perhaps you need some re-education in your local enrichment center... :)
On the contrary. The Enrichment Centre discourages attempts to steal their hard-worked results and discourages tests subjects from doing so.

With sharks.
Credo!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Portal Gun and a remote controlled robot with a scoop. Open a portal to the moon and send the robot in to grab some moon rocks\dust. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Whiskey144
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiskey144 »

The Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device of course!

I mean, it's got a long fancy name that sounds cool and takes a minute to say, and it violates several conservation laws (always fun!), and it's THE PORTAL GUN.

Rather a bit of a no-brainer, IMO. But then again, I would change one thing about it.

The Orange Portal. It should be Red, or perhaps Purple. Because then it would look nicer, and I dislike the Orange color.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

The only thing that mildy detracts from the portal device is its lack of Apature Science Boots, making traveling with it a bit more complex than what Chell does in game without going splat. That does not mean that there are a bunch of fun and useful aplications for it. Chalk down another vote for ASHPD.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Enigma wrote:Portal Gun and a remote controlled robot with a scoop. Open a portal to the moon and send the robot in to grab some moon rocks\dust. :)
How about just a shovel with a long handle?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Firecrackers and a vacuum cleaner. Should handle the moon dust.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Space suit and prefab building kits small enough to fit through the portal. Build a goddamn moon base while you're at it.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Purple wrote:Firecrackers and a vacuum cleaner. Should handle the moon dust.
Yes because throwing a lit object into the cold airless void (While having a giant breeze that will snuff any unprotected flame) is sure to work.
Me thinks your plans has a few structural flaws

But Raxmei has the idea, build a structure back on earth you can make a vacuum then start sending through parts as needed to make one moon base.

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Assuming you could find the right surfaces, and the gun has the range (I already had my expectations on that blown away) you could use some precise targeting system to put portals anywhere in the solar system. Explore the solar system! Dump your toxic waste into the sun from an orbiting portal-friendly platform! Dump your failed test subjects into the sun from an orbiting portal-friendly platform!