Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) is dead.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Re: Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) is dead.

Post by Big Orange »

DaveJB wrote:I remember when Journey's End was broadcast, Sladen said in an interview that she felt that story would be the last time she would meet the Doctor. If she knew as far back as that interview that she was terminally ill, then she demonstrated an extraordinary level of courage in continuing to work until her final days. Either way, a terrible loss.
Supposedly not even Tom Baker knew about Sladen's mysterious cancer, FFS. Although it may been a different story with Davies, Moffat, and the BBC producers, etc.
Big Orange wrote:Here's a phone interview by RTD - say what you will about Davies, but it was a very good call having her back and I assume that the completed S5 episodes of TSJA wouldn't be just be pissed up the wall, just that they should be broadcast with respect and then tied up with a final tribute.
It really depends what her family wants. If her husband and daughter decide they'd rather not have the remaining episodes shown, then I'm sure the BBC would lock the master tapes away in one of their vaults, never to be seen again.
Well you've heard of the saying, "the show must go on", haven't you? And this is of course not the first time a TV show or movie production has been disrupted by the untimely death of a leading performer.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Ugolino
Youngling

Post by Ugolino »

I don't know what to say.
Karen Traviss IS a Kaminoan!
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Captain Spiro wrote:That K-9 picture was so sad. :(
I hope in series 7 of Doctor Who, she gets some kind of real mention, maybe an episode where the Doctor attends Sarah-Jane's funeral. If they got it right, I'd be a tearful mess for the next few hours.
Would be expecting a mention for Sladen and Courtney actually. Although I suspect the latter has already worked its way into the new season, I would be rather unamused if it hadnt.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

In a way, I almost would like to see an episode where The Doctor goes to find Sarah Jane for [insert gratuitous reason and plot device here] only to find she has passed away (from K-9 perhaps?). A tear-jerker scene with his current companions, so they can see he doesn't stop caring about people, and how painful it would be to be a (near) immortal and have to see one's friends age and die.

But... maybe too much to ask. Or maybe I don't want to see it. What's this? I seem to have something in my eye...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

No, that would be a good idea. I hope they do it, and do it well, because she really deserves it. And i don't think it's much to ask.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Tom Baker was my first Doctor, so she was my first companion. I still remember crying when she left. Now I have a line from that dumb harmonica song stuck in my head, "Sarah, Sarah,/No time is a good time for goodbye."
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

In many ways, Elisabeth Sladen could rightly be called the co-creator of Sarah-Jane Smith along with writer Robert Holmes and producer Barry Letts. Any actress could have been put in to say the lines, but Lis Sladen was the one who really made Sarah truly come alive.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I was amazed at how well she stepped back into the role after such a long hiatus. It was downright magical to see it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

I've been a Doctor Who fan for a very long time, long enough I've seen several of the 'lost episodes' on TV when I was very young. And Sarah was one of my favorite companions, certainly my favorite female companion. After austere Liz and bubbly Jo, Sarah seemed to share so much more of the Doctor's wonder and sense of adventure. I cried when she left the show. I watch the K9 and Company pilot and was disappointed when a series never came of it. Then my heart skipped a beat when she walked on to the screen in the new series 'School Days'. I try to avoid watching the previews preferring to be surprised, and boy was I. I'm told that I had the same look Tennant had portraying the Doctor's reaction. She didn't look as though 30+ years had passed and fell back into the role without skipping a beat. Then came the Sarah Jane Adventures and I couldn't be happier, despite being a more kid oriented show I liked it more than Torchwood. Now for her to die so suddenly is just.....

Anyway the rather talented FirstTimeLord001 put a quick tribute together on youtube to follow-up to his Brigadier one. And as he said there this has been a hard year for Who fans.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Broomstick wrote:In a way, I almost would like to see an episode where The Doctor goes to find Sarah Jane for [insert gratuitous reason and plot device here] only to find she has passed away (from K-9 perhaps?). A tear-jerker scene with his current companions, so they can see he doesn't stop caring about people, and how painful it would be to be a (near) immortal and have to see one's friends age and die.

But... maybe too much to ask. Or maybe I don't want to see it. What's this? I seem to have something in my eye...
I don't know. That seems like it would focus more on the Doctor then on Sarah Jane. Not a bad idea for an episode, but it lacks value as a tribute to the actress.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

If they can do it properly then an episode based around seeing Sarah Jane at different points through time might be a rather good way to do it. It is going to be a bit pointless and a massive shame to have Sarah Jane randomly mentioned when folks growing up with the new series wont have much clue about her.

They have already attempted to do Doctor Who montages of previous incarnations so doing one for companions would be ideal. Sladen defiently should get one, Courtney too. The latter never even made it into the new series which I find a colossal shame.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I began watching Doctor Who with The Ark In Space when I was a kid, and Liz Sladen was always a part of Doctor Who in my mind even after she left. It was great to see her return to Who and I'm glad she had so much fun with the show in what must have been a very difficult time for her. We should all be so lucky. She was a classy and talented actress, and will be sorely missed.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

reminds me of Swazy on the Beast playing an awesome Undercover Fed.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

That's really too bad. I only started watching Who after the new series started, but one of the First episodes I saw was School Reunion. I also saw some of the old stuff like Pyramid of Mars and Genesis of the Daleks when they came out on disc. In Pyramid she was a lot more convincing to me than Tom Baker.
Kind of a weird thing for me. I first watched Dr. Who with my Grandfather while he was wasting away from leukemia, it was some sort of marathon I think, almost certainly reruns since an hour before we saw the one with the werewolf. Even though I didn't get a lot of the backstory, I remember him being very emotional, especially at the end when the doctor gives her K9 back.
Rest in Peace Ms. Sladen, you made my grandad happy before he went.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Broomstick wrote:I was amazed at how well she stepped back into the role after such a long hiatus. It was downright magical to see it.
Which makes her seemingly sudden death all the more tragic and it still seemed like she had so much more to do, even though 63 is not THAT young. Anyway I think it's a good idea that the Doctor has to emotionally deal with the passing of long time allies and the Doctor could also attend or mention a UNIT military funeral for the Brigadier.

Taggart kept on going in the past 15 years and with the same title after the actor for the actual titular character (Mark McManus) also died at a similarly inopportune moment.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Serafina wrote:
Broomstick wrote:*snip image*]
Damn, that made my cry a little :cry:
Well, i'll honor her by watching her re-debut episode and her show over the next few days. Oh, and she deserves a salute no matter how much she might dislike it.
Not gonna lie, I teared up.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

A beautiful tribute to a much beloved companion who left too soon... :(

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Even Chuck included a tribute in his latest DW review, 'The Seeds of Doom.'

part 1
http://sfdebris.blip.tv/file/5097630/

and 2
http://www.blip.tv/file/5097457

Thoughts?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Well what I've gathered over the horn, The Sarah Jane Adventures as we know it will sadly die with Elisabeth Sladen, but the episodes already in the can will be broadcast at a later date. :(

While the circumstances of Sladen's premature death is the matter of her close family and friends, I hear rumors that she contracted pancreatic cancer, one of the worst cancers that pretty much means certain death as soon as its symptoms surface and the health of the affected declines suddenly. Not so long ago Patrick Swayze also died relatively young from a cancer offcially confirmed as pancreatic. Honestly, her death still seems harder to accept than Bin Laden's (who said only the good die young?).

I liked the concept of TSJA adventures and I hope a spin-off the spin-off will carry on afterwards with Mr. Smith and the tone of the stories aimed at younger viewers with no PG-13 rating, but sadly not only is Sarah Jane Smith here anymore, Tommy Knight has grown up rapidly, etc.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

At least we'll get to see the episodes with her in.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth