Scariest alien creature?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Scariest alien creature?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I've never really been scared by monsters on TV. Probably because, being half-blind I can't see the gory details :)

But there were several things that really unnerved me:

1. The Daleks. They were so totally alien it freaked me out. Also, very advanced and not averse to murder and genocide. Worrying
2. I'll second the Psirens, those where just weird
3. the Weeping Angels. Fucking creepy stone statues that onyl move when you're not looking? Eeeeeep
4. The Monolith from 2001/2010. Same as with the Daleks, totally unknown, and clearly more powerful than you
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Well's martians. They look terrifying and if they don't zorch, choke or squash you they'll exsanguinate you.

No amount of keeping a stiff upper lip will help either.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

TOSDOC wrote:Freefall, the movie with Rutger Hauer is Split Second.
Thank you. I think I'm going to try tracking that down and see how it holds up after all this time.
dworkin wrote:Well's martians. They look terrifying and if they don't zorch, choke or squash you they'll exsanguinate you.
That actually just reminded me of seeing the old War of the Worlds TV show as a kid. The Martians there were actually pretty scary; they would kill you by sticking their suction cup fingers in your eyes. Then they'd apparently merge with your cells so they could wear your body like a suit, or something.

You know, as long as we're mentioning these kinds of monsters, may as well bring up the good ol' Body Snatchers. First version I saw as a kid was the one where they scream and point when they find you, but of course, the part that's really scary is the idea that if you fall asleep anywhere, anytime, you'll get eaten by these horrible plant things.

Actually, speaking of pod things, I saw the original Troll movie when I was like 6, and I'll admit that thing scared the hell out of me. It looks so small and harmless, and even smiles a lot. Then it stabs you with its ring and you turn into this hideous, malformed squash thing. And the little bastard's super strong and bullet proof, so it's a lot harder to fight him than you'd think. But that's getting more into the fantasy area than sci-fi.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Every thing from the Cthulhu mythos. especially Shub-Niggurath, don't know why but she always freaked me out.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

The Xenomorphs in Alien and Something Is Out There got to me due to watching them when quite young.

From Alien the facehugger alone rates as one of the creepiest entities ever thought up and it just goes downhill from there: you get a chestburster.. oh yay it ate it's way out but it's all right.. it's small and probably not very dangerous, we'll find it.. OH HOLY MOTHER OF F*** IT GOT BIG!!!

In Something Is Out There you only get to see enough to to know it's quite large but then later it fit's inside bodies, moves at high speed, precision human dissection in seconds... not the stuff impressionable children should be watching
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

The monster from the "Dragon's Domain" episode of Space 1999 freaked the living shit out of me when I was a kid. It's a big tentacle monster that sucks people into some sort of mouth and then spits out charred corpses soon after. You can see it here.

It's cheesy by today's standards, but you have to remember it came out in 1975 and I was only 4 when I watched it.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Another vote for the Thing with an honorable mention for Xenomorphs. The xenos are scary and that chest-burster shit deeply freaks me out, but the Thing tops the list of creatures I don't want to exist in the same universe as.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Korvan wrote:The monster from the "Dragon's Domain" episode of Space 1999 freaked the living shit out of me when I was a kid. It's a big tentacle monster that sucks people into some sort of mouth and then spits out charred corpses soon after. You can see it here.

It's cheesy by today's standards, but you have to remember it came out in 1975 and I was only 4 when I watched it.
Oooo, I'd actually forgotten about that. Yes, I recall it now as being pretty scary as a kid.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Thing / Xenomorph.

Personnally I found the Xenomorph far more scary but its mainly the Facehugger / Chestbuster concept that does it. The idea that one day you could simply turn the corner and get slapped in the face, wake up hours later and then look forward to having your innards splayed out.
I.E the first movie scene was horrific.
Even more so because those facehuggers / chestbuster have the eerie similarity with spiders / creepy crawlies that like to scuttle around in the dark.

Once you get up to the adult versions you have at least the remote possiblilty they will just whack you. The other being taking you off to be implanted
I.E Newt in the second movie.

I dont recall much of the Thing so I dont know how it killed. I thought it just killed / absorbed and then impersonated you ?
If your alive during that process and its painful then Thing wins for being the worst way to go. I do remember the scene with the dogs though and I think thats the scene that really made me unable to watch.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

PREDATOR490 wrote:I dont recall much of the Thing so I dont know how it killed. I thought it just killed / absorbed and then impersonated you ?
If your alive during that process and its painful then Thing wins for being the worst way to go. I do remember the scene with the dogs though and I think thats the scene that really made me unable to watch.
IIRC there was a scene where a Thing rammed its hand up into a guy's mouth and under the skin of the face that looked rather painful.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Kyler
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyler »

I justed remebered a movie that was awful, but the creatures were pretty scary.

Virus (1999) had Donald Sutherland & Jamie Lee Curtis in it.

Basically an evil energy creature for space infects a Russian communications ship. An American salvage crew finds the ship only to discover that something has been turning people in some pretty crazy cybernetic things. I think the way the creatures were done was the only good part of the entire movie.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Thing and the Xenomorph are all well and good, so I'll mention them again.

I only caught glimpses of it on Sci-Fi during one of their Anime runs, but the film Lily C.A.T. gave me some shockers. I caught it back in the old Sci-Fi Channel's Anime festival (one of their early ones like this one--which has Lily C.A.T. in its clips).

Considering it's basically the first Alien film with the Thing taking the lead role--a variant which infects parts of the SHIP as well as the crew made it quite scary to my young mind.

I'm sure there were others, but I can't remember them that well at the moment.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Kyler wrote:I justed remebered a movie that was awful, but the creatures were pretty scary.

Virus (1999) had Donald Sutherland & Jamie Lee Curtis in it.

Basically an evil energy creature for space infects a Russian communications ship. An American salvage crew finds the ship only to discover that something has been turning people in some pretty crazy cybernetic things. I think the way the creatures were done was the only good part of the entire movie.
Moontrap was basically the same thing as Virus, but had thousands of weird pod things, held up on the moon, that were intending to invade earth, building themselves bodies out of pretty much anything. Plus it had Walter Koenig and Bruce Cambell. Koenig utters the most awesome line in the movie while in a cell waiting to be killed, (IIRC)
That's all we are to them, spare parts.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

The brain harvesting invaders of Skyline were pretty scary.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Even though i am loathe to name something as "THE ...est" (and i am not doing so here) in my opinion and its fantasy, would the Elves of Discworld count? I know the books are generally PG-13, but i listened to the Audio-Book version of Wyrd Sisters before i went to bed and the discriptions about them are rather unsettling.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

PREDATOR490 wrote:I dont recall much of the Thing so I dont know how it killed. I thought it just killed / absorbed and then impersonated you ?
It doesn't just impersonate you.. the copy of you has every single cell duplicated, including the state of your brain at the time that it absorbed you.
That means that you could already be the Thing, and not even know it. You'll just remember having blacked out for a couple of hours, but in fact, you aren't really "you" at all. You won't even realize it until the time comes.

When you're a kid and it starts to make you think about existentialism and the real nature of consciousness, that unbalances you enough that the horror bits can then really take a big juicy chunk out of your core and scare the shit out of you.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Wait...how do we know that Thing-victims believe they're still human? I always assumed they were just very good at pretending to be human because they absorbed all the knowledge and memories of those they imitated.

But yeah, they're by far the scariest. Alien is second (not "xenomorph" you buncha fucking Gormans :P)
ThomasP
Padawan Learner

Post by ThomasP »

Galvatron wrote:Wait...how do we know that Thing-victims believe they're still human? I always assumed they were just very good at pretending to be human because they absorbed all the knowledge and memories of those they imitated.
That's how it worked in Campbell's original story "Who Goes There?", and Peter Watts's more recent short-story "The Things". I haven't read the novelization but I want to say I heard it mentioned there as well?

The movie doesn't really hint either way, so I guess you can choose your canonicity.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

ThomasP wrote:
That's how it worked in Campbell's original story "Who Goes There?", and Peter Watts's more recent short-story "The Things". I haven't read the novelization but I want to say I heard it mentioned there as well?

The movie doesn't really hint either way, so I guess you can choose your canonicity.
The commentary with Kurt Russell and John Carpenter has Russell saying that was actually a big topic of discussion amongst the actors themselves while shooting; if it really is a perfect copy, would their characters even know if they were the Thing or not?

Carpenter also said that at the end of the movie, he himself was never sure if either of the two surviving characters were still human or not.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The forces of Chaos (40k) deserve mention. It is described that just looking at an unhelmeted CSM will induce nausea and panic. Nevermind that as opposed to a xenomorph (which at the end of the day is just a dangerous animal), the forces of Chaos have a huge standing army and fleets that can flatten worlds at their disposal. Nevermind thinking of what could happen if you get corrupted by Chaos yourself.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

wautd wrote:The forces of Chaos (40k) deserve mention. It is described that just looking at an unhelmeted CSM will induce nausea and panic. Nevermind that as opposed to a xenomorph (which at the end of the day is just a dangerous animal), the forces of Chaos have a huge standing army and fleets that can flatten worlds at their disposal. Nevermind thinking of what could happen if you get corrupted by Chaos yourself.
Well, technically, CSMs and cultists aren't really aliens, no? I suppose demons may count depending on how strict your definition is...
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Srelex wrote:
wautd wrote:The forces of Chaos (40k) deserve mention. It is described that just looking at an unhelmeted CSM will induce nausea and panic. Nevermind that as opposed to a xenomorph (which at the end of the day is just a dangerous animal), the forces of Chaos have a huge standing army and fleets that can flatten worlds at their disposal. Nevermind thinking of what could happen if you get corrupted by Chaos yourself.
Well, technically, CSMs and cultists aren't really aliens, no? I suppose demons may count depending on how strict your definition is...
Well their inhuman and live on other planets. That's alien enough for me :P
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

wautd wrote:It is described that just looking at an unhelmeted CSM will induce nausea and panic.
I don't know how applicable that aspect of it is to the real world based reader. Simply stating that something is apsolutely terrifying in the fictional is a very easy thing to do and does not make them horrifying. You could write a book about a Character thats has same personnality of Spongebob Squarepants with a similar set of plots with a G rating and state his apperence would drive any mortal whom dared laid sight of him mad with dark primal and deep psycological terror.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Zor wrote:
wautd wrote:It is described that just looking at an unhelmeted CSM will induce nausea and panic.
I don't know how applicable that aspect of it is to the real world based reader. Simply stating that something is apsolutely terrifying in the fictional is a very easy thing to do and does not make them horrifying. You could write a book about a Character thats has same personnality of Spongebob Squarepants with a similar set of plots with a G rating and state his apperence would drive any mortal whom dared laid sight of him mad with dark primal and deep psycological terror.

Zor
Point taken.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Zor wrote:

Zor
Well, actually, with Chaos stuff, that is an effect of them. Just looking at certain Chaos runes causes nausea or paralysis (in Titanicus a PDF trooper lines her lasrifle's optics up on a Chaos skitarii's insignia - and promptly collapses, vomiting. Hell, in Brothers of the Snake Chaos runes manage to paralyse an SM (through his visor, which means he's not even seeing them directly) until his Sergeant backhands him hard enough to dent his helmet).
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641