SGU S02E08 Malice (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

What's your rating for Malice?

5 - The best episode yet.
6%
4 - A great hour of television.
61%
3 - It was an entertaining diversion.
19%
2 - Average at best.
3%
1 - A waste of time.
6%
0 - Cancel this shit already.
3%

Total votes: 31

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: SGU S02E08 Malice (SPOILERS)

Post by NecronLord »

PREDATOR490 wrote:That said, I always found these 'impending attacks' pointless. If they want to screw up Earth then really all they have to do is get one clean shot at the White House
Three cloaked Al'kesh coming in from out-system. Three heavy naquadah bombs. One for Washington, one for the outpost, one for NORAD. They'll still have Atlantis, of course, but that's quite enough damage to fuck things up.

Hell, if they have access to top-end Goa'uld bio-weapons, the only need to land a Tel'tak and smash a vial. Game over for the civillian population of Earth.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Although there has been no indication how the LA have managed to escalate to a point where Earth seems to be shitting itself and can overpower X304s.
Things have clearly changed for the Lucians since the end of SG-1. Someone on another board made an interesting point, that it looks like they learned from the failure of Netan's centralized leadership with the Seconds. They're still a criminal organization, but they're more decentralized, loosely unified by regions, tribal lines, and clans.

The geopolitical situation is also playing a part here. The Jaffa Nation clearly suffered heavy losses to the Ori and are likely still not in a position of strength. The Tok'ra are a minor faction at best. The Lucians were more or less left alone by the Ori and only the Tau'ri put any effort into dealing with them. Now, with the Ori gone and the Jaffa crippled, the Tau'ri are their biggest pain in the ass.

There's also the fact, as we observed before, that the Lucians seized just as much Goa'uld tech and material as the Jaffa did. They may easily have gotten their hands on some of Anubis' retrofitted craft or tech. Joe Mallozzi himself stated that they had pursued R&D in the 2 years since SG-1 ended. Heck, we still don't know the extent of the intel Telford passed onto Kiva; if they got their hands on Asgard tech, that would be very, very bad.
Stargate Nerd
Padawan Learner

Post by Stargate Nerd »

NecronLord wrote:
Three cloaked Al'kesh coming in from out-system. Three heavy naquadah bombs. One for Washington, one for the outpost, one for NORAD. They'll still have Atlantis, of course, but that's quite enough damage to fuck things up.
Bingo. Earth's problem is that a) they still don't seem to be able to detect cloaked ships, and b) even if they could they don't have enough ships or defense mechanisms to stop a a small fleet cargo ships from landing on Earth filled to the brim with Naquadah bombs.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

That was the entire point behind the episode Talion wasn't it? They had to deal with Arkad's plan to launch an attack against earth using cloaked ships with Naquadah bombs. There wasn't much they could do about it except to try and stop the order to start the attack from being given in the first place.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
PLR2
Redshirt

Post by PLR2 »

Adrian McNair wrote:
PLR2 wrote: You're harsher and more vocal about it than others here at least i think so. But, I wasn't talking about those other places I don't visit those other places. And I'm not saying you're unfair or anything. I find you reviews helpful. I didn't mean to start an argument.
I find it deeply amusing, not to mention ironic, that your post came up right after PREDATOR490 gave the episode a zero (and then proceeded to list every single one of his gripes in a rant). If anything he's the harshest and most vocal user in these threads, not me. I just consider your appraisal to be slightly baffling (especially in light of sites like this).

But hey, I'm glad that you find my reviews to be helpful. That wasn't sarcasm. I aim to deliver.
I saw his post right after I submitted. ---> :banghead: that's what i was doing when I saw that. I would agree he is most vocal here. But to me you're the most vocal and most helpful in one package. I have never looked at an SG:U review anywhere but here so I wouldn't know about any of that stuff. Now I'm going to go check out that sgusucks website.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Themightytom wrote: Simeon was a badass out of nowhere. The man has the ability to shoot through secondary character shields, that body count went up like a balloon. They didn't even have TIME to show him killing characters, his body guard Ginn and Amanda (A twofer) died off screen. Adios Airman Dunning, I still don't understand why you let Chloe get abducted, guess you're taking that to the grave.
I was disappointed that he didn't snipe Rush, even if what he said later was true because you know...
Yeah, Simeon being a badass ruined it due to execution. If Simeon is a badass then they should have showed it because all I saw was the SGC personnell being fucking retarded. How did Simeon escape Destiny? Using superior tactics? No. He took on the look of the T-1000 in Terminator 2 and slow motion was used to enhance the scenes as he was escaping. Utter fail, and this is why. If you're not bullet proof then acting like you are is not bad ass. It is fucking stupid. And if you manage to escape then your opponents were trained by Walmart security, and are certainly not "highly trained soldiers" as claimed by Col. Young when he talked Eli out of being stupid.

So, then Simeon gets off planet and continues to make these "highly trained" soldiers look like hired help. Then to add injury to insult Rush takes him down. Rush is no more qualified to take down Simeon than Eli is, but for some reason he was allowed to go and he did it. Wow. For shame!

Also, I really liked Greer up until this episode. He really disappointed me. He wounds Simeon and doesn't follow through with making sure he can't escape. That's not the bad part though. After shooting Simeon does he take cover? No. He allows himself to be shot through and through. So, character shields were in effect because the guy that was dropping "highly trained" soldiers with one handed pistol shooting (LMAO) is now unable to kill Rush or Greer despite having easy shots.

Absolutely Fail.

To clarify. I don't have a problem with Simeon being badass. They should have hired a military advisor to walk him through some techniques that an operator would use if he was in the same situation. I seriously doubt one handed pistol shooting slow motion walking I'm a fucking terminator posture is taught in any tactical school.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: Yeah, Simeon being a badass ruined it due to execution. If Simeon is a badass then they should have showed it because all I saw was the SGC personnell being fucking retarded. How did Simeon escape Destiny? Using superior tactics? No. He took on the look of the T-1000 in Terminator 2 and slow motion was used to enhance the scenes as he was escaping. Utter fail, and this is why. If you're not bullet proof then acting like you are is not bad ass. It is fucking stupid. And if you manage to escape then your opponents were trained by Walmart security, and are certainly not "highly trained soldiers" as claimed by Col. Young when he talked Eli out of being stupid.

So, then Simeon gets off planet and continues to make these "highly trained" soldiers look like hired help. Then to add injury to insult Rush takes him down. Rush is no more qualified to take down Simeon than Eli is, but for some reason he was allowed to go and he did it. Wow. For shame!

Also, I really liked Greer up until this episode. He really disappointed me. He wounds Simeon and doesn't follow through with making sure he can't escape. That's not the bad part though. After shooting Simeon does he take cover? No. He allows himself to be shot through and through. So, character shields were in effect because the guy that was dropping "highly trained" soldiers with one handed pistol shooting (LMAO) is now unable to kill Rush or Greer despite having easy shots.

Absolutely Fail.

To clarify. I don't have a problem with Simeon being badass. They should have hired a military advisor to walk him through some techniques that an operator would use if he was in the same situation. I seriously doubt one handed pistol shooting slow motion walking I'm a fucking terminator posture is taught in any tactical school.
Well he managed to shoot the ... part of the hallway.. that shuts off all of Destiny's lights, and the lighting wasn't exactly great to begin with. there's some value in walking up to vigilant guards so casually they don't realize anything is wrong until you're already shooting them. They wouldn't teach that in Tactical School, but you know what, he wouldn't be a badass if he did now would he.

he managed to get through the gate and plant a bomb on Dr. Sleeparound, and get to the cliffs in a matter of moments.

He pulled off his booby traps with increasing success, culminating in predicting where James' team would be coming from and using the first team as bait for the second. they wouldn't teach that in a school either because who would be nut enough to even try it?

You'd make a boring TV show Sith, your badasses would be following tactics that dictate "Don't Ever Try Any of This" and Simeon would be sitting in his cell recovering from torture. He knew he had sensitive intel, he realized his enemy knew it, and he took an immediate poorly thought out gambit that worked not for its skill but for its audacity. ultimately he didn't escape but he inflicted casualties and denied the enemy information. That's badass in my book.

Lets not forget Rush is a genius here. Young's objection to Eli wasn't so much that he wasn't trained, so much that he wasn't a killer. Eli couldn't apply his intelligence to the problem of killing whereas Rush has established a track record of killing as a side effect to his intelligence.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Themightytom wrote: Well he managed to shoot the ... part of the hallway.. that shuts off all of Destiny's lights, and the lighting wasn't exactly great to begin with. there's some value in walking up to vigilant guards so casually they don't realize anything is wrong until you're already shooting them. They wouldn't teach that in Tactical School, but you know what, he wouldn't be a badass if he did now would he.
Sure, he did some intelligent things. However, totally exposing his entire body is stupid no matter how you slice it.
he managed to get through the gate and plant a bomb on Dr. Sleeparound, and get to the cliffs in a matter of moments.
I'm aware of his accomplishments. I already covered that it was doable because the Destiny crew was apparently trained by Walmart security.
He pulled off his booby traps with increasing success, culminating in predicting where James' team would be coming from and using the first team as bait for the second. they wouldn't teach that in a school either because who would be nut enough to even try it?
I'm glad you brought this part up. I didn't address it in my original post. It was like they wanted to make Simeon a badass but they didn't want him to kill anyone important either. This is more of a pet peeve than anything else. The main characters didn't do anything special that should have saved their lives but they were spared.
You'd make a boring TV show Sith, your badasses would be following tactics that dictate "Don't Ever Try Any of This" and Simeon would be sitting in his cell recovering from torture. He knew he had sensitive intel, he realized his enemy knew it, and he took an immediate poorly thought out gambit that worked not for its skill but for its audacity. ultimately he didn't escape but he inflicted casualties and denied the enemy information. That's badass in my book.
Wow. You failed to comprehend my post at all. I even clarified at the end of my post, but you still didn't grasp it. (Edited)

No, in my version Simeon would have escaped. He just wouldn't be walking through hallways like he thinks he's a Terminator. He wouldn't miss easy shots on main characters because the main character would be utilizing cover, and the Destiny crew wouldn't suddenly suffer from low IQs to make the escape possible.
Lets not forget Rush is a genius here. Young's objection to Eli wasn't so much that he wasn't trained, so much that he wasn't a killer. Eli couldn't apply his intelligence to the problem of killing whereas Rush has established a track record of killing as a side effect to his intelligence.
Ok, I can accept that Rush could develop an effective plan. However, they failed on delivery because it required Simeon who just defeated highly trained soldiers to walk out in the open and then hip fire at someone shooting at him.
Milites Astrum Exterminans