Let's Create a proper MBT for Halo.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Re: Let's Create a proper MBT for Halo.

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Stark wrote:
JointStrikeFighter wrote:More interesting than the brute Ghost chopper
Wasn't that a giant track-layer you sat on?

I wonder if you could make an electic bike small enough to be easily carried, like a SPARTAN SKATEBOARD.
Yes it was.

And spartans can ride hoverboards in UT3:P
Arachnidus
Youngling

Post by Arachnidus »

Alright, screw it, let's just make some mark VI legs with tracks on them and give the Spartans shoulder mounted Splasers. That's all the MBT you'll ever need. Brings new meaning to "Seven Foot Walking Tank".
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stark wrote: Wasn't that a giant track-layer you sat on?

I wonder if you could make an electic bike small enough to be easily carried, like a SPARTAN SKATEBOARD.
I dunno about electric, but folding paratrooper motorbikes have existed since WW2 which can be realistically carried. All the more so by someone like a Spartan who never seem to have backpacks for such useless items as food or water.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Stark wrote:Are you a fucking idiot? Like I already said, just follow MC around for five minutes. Jackals aren't even a big threat to regular UNSC guys, so they're hardly rare.
Oh yeah! How the hell could I forget all of those massive ground victories where the UNSC beat the Covenant and made them sit harmlessly in orbit! Oh wait. Nevermind, I forgot about all of the huge space victories by the UNSC. Oh wait.

So where did you expect these shields to come from again?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Okay, you're right - that's how the humans were able to reverse-engineer the technology; because it was impossible to recover any. :lol:

Even if we assume that Jackal shields aren't falling like rain (which they are) simply issuing magnetic coasters to allow field attachment of shields is pretty basic stuff. Bolting the larger tactical shields should be even easier. Hell, an underbarrel Jackal shield would make reloading a lot safer. :lol:
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

MBT? Nah.

How about a heavy IFV. It makes more sense for the UNSC. It would be easier to transport and better suited for urban operations.

Tell me this doesn't look like something out of Halo already:

I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Welcome to page 1? :lol:

Is there any reason UNSC air units suck so bad? If they had a decent chopper or VTOL they could easily dispense with the big gun.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Didn't they have a few proper aircraft in Halo Wars, including a bigass gunship like something out of Avatar?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, that big VTOL zeppelin thingo. I guess it makes some kinda sense their CAS shit sucks, since most of their fighters are primarily space fighters. In Reach they invented a stupid helicopter, but for most of the run they were stuck with Hornets, the stupidest air vehicle ever concieved.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The gunship (IDK the name) was a Hornet upgrade, but it was only possible if you had a certain hero unit.

The only fighter craft in the UNSC arsenal I've seen that make sense are the Sabre from Reach, and the Longsword. Only the Longsword can actually fight in atmosphere though, IIRC. And it was more suited to the role of a bomber when flying on a planet, rather than a fighter. The Hornet was a promising concept, but it lacked armor, speed, maneuverability, etc. It's only real strength was the fact that it had guided missiles (which at the time, the Banshee did not). The Falcon seems like a cross between the Hornet and the Pelican, as if it's not sure it is an attack VTOL or a lightly armed troop transport, so it really doesn't do well in either role.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

As a question, how are UNSC aircraft of any type depicted in the novels? Did the authors take gameplay literally or what?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I can't really say, since I haven't read the novels in awhile. I chose the Sabre and the Longsword as the best because the Saber is shielded (they finally got smart and put shields on a vehicle!) and the Longsword seems to be fairly well designed, at least for the role of a space superiority fighter which can be used in atmosphere. Not entirely sure about the Longsword's armament, but in every game I've seen it actually attack in (Halo Custom Edition and various cinematics throughout the entire Halo series) it fires guided missiles and is capable of dropping tac-nukes.
SeaTrooper
Youngling

Post by SeaTrooper »

weemadando wrote:I mean if we want to be really nasty we could just say:
Merkava Specifications wrote: Weight 65 tonnes
Length 9.04 m (29.66 ft): rear to muzzle
7.60 m (24.93 ft): without gun
Width 3.72 m (12.2 ft)—without skirts
Height 2.66 m (8.73 ft)—turret roof
Scorpion MBT Technical specifications wrote: Length:
10 metres (33 ft)
Width : 3 metres (9.8 ft)
Mass : 66 metric tons (65 LT; 73 ST)
Maximum acceleration: 9 km/h/s
So the Merkava is the same size, weighs less, is far more heavily armed, can carry 4-5 dismounts internally and already has ADS. It really is silly that the UNSC can't come up with something at least as capable.
Um, has anyone else noticed that the Merkava and Scorpion are both the right size to pass through a Stargate? Gotta wonder why the poor old SG teams had to walk everywhere, especially given O'Neills knees... :mrgreen:

[quote="Wikipedia - Stargate]
A typical Stargate measures 6.7 m (22 ft) in diameter and weighs 29,000 kg (64,000 lb).
[/quote]
"Know Enough To Be Afraid" - Transylvania Polygnostic

The Royal Navy has not survived for so long by setting an example for others,
but by making an example of those others...