Iron Man 2 Reviews (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Re: Iron Man 2 Reviews (Spoilers)

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Sinewmire wrote:
Same here, tbh. I find it hard to take Marvel's Thor seriously in the 21st Century, and I liked batman for flux's sake. Once somebody explained to me what the hammer represented I laughed out loud. Thor? Really? Really?
It would be nice if they kept this stuff separate. The cameo by Stark at the end of The Incredible Hulk was one thing, with him commenting on Gen. Ross' failed bio-weapon programme, but it's another to bring in an actual Norse god.
well they are setting up for the avengers movie which Downey/Jackson/guy whos playing Thor/ guy whos playing captain America have already all signed up for.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

But the Iron Man-Thor bromance is made of win!
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Loved the movie. Worthy sequel. And Scarlet Johannsen is so fucking hot.

Didn't stay for the end of credits shot, so I'll catch it on youtube.

Was Howard Stark Don Draper's boss from Mad Men?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Vympel wrote:Was Howard Stark Don Draper's boss from Mad Men?
Yes he was.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Loved it better than the first one. Downey Junior was excellent with the lines Tony had and delivered them with aplomb. I especially loved how he mocked those senators.

I missed the fanservice scene at the end, however caught it on youtube. Hoping the Thor movie alluded to at the end turns up great as well.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

So I just saw the movie and um, two random observations.

1. Rhodes was following ESD procedures while removing the reactor from the suit. Good for you, Rhodie. Electrostatic Discharge is mostly a non-issue in most circuits, but way to follow protocol with those lovable, dorky wriststraps.
2. Howard Stark's notebook somehow has elementary maxwells equations from electromagnetics 101 on the page right before drawings of tesseracts. Somehow, non-euclidean geometry has something to do with the right hand rule :P

That was a good sequel! I'm very, very pleased with how it turned out, given my trepidation. The writing and humor were excellent and the movie was a good balance between comic relief and seriousness, as well as giving Robert Downey Junior more time to be awesome.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Nephtys wrote:So I just saw the movie and um, two random observations.

1. Rhodes was following ESD procedures while removing the reactor from the suit. Good for you, Rhodie. Electrostatic Discharge is mostly a non-issue in most circuits, but way to follow protocol with those lovable, dorky wriststraps.
2. Howard Stark's notebook somehow has elementary maxwells equations from electromagnetics 101 on the page right before drawings of tesseracts. Somehow, non-euclidean geometry has something to do with the right hand rule :P

That was a good sequel! I'm very, very pleased with how it turned out, given my trepidation. The writing and humor were excellent and the movie was a good balance between comic relief and seriousness, as well as giving Robert Downey Junior more time to be awesome.
Why couldn't I see this with an awesome geekette who notices such things? My brother's lack of real science acumen now he's in the RAF makes for boredom. BOOOOREDOM. Though we had a good laugh at "Congratulations, sir. You've created a new element".

Ooh, War Machine and 'splosions!
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I wondered if they were going to name the new element to make it something already mentioned in universe such as adminantium or Vibranium. I guess it'll just end up being named Starkium or something.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Apart from that (and I suppose Stark not using a battery when not in the armour and having the ark reactors built into the suits he uses, as with the Mk. II), I was fine with all else on screen. I liked how the Silver Centurion attache case armour was barebones with only basic repulsors, limited armour and no flight capability. Man, what I wouldn't give to have that for the odd night on the town, just in case.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Just saw it, in general i liked it. Probably going to take my sister out to see it a bit latter on.

Just one observation of note, did anyone see those Hammer robots and think they reminded you just a bit of Tau Battlesuits?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Now that you mention it, yeah, I do!

And Stark not using a battery whilst suitless bugged me too, but I guess this way he only has one or two miniaturised Arc Reactors, as opposed to one in the Mk II, one in the Mk IV, one in the SuitcaseSuit, and making others whenever he comes up with a new suit. Seems to me that'd be just begging for the tech to get out somehow.

Actually, that's something I think the deleted scene at the end of Iron Man 1 touched on quite well, with the conversation between Stane and Tony, after the big Arc Reactor kersplodes, and Stane basically says, well, we've let the tech out, now what?
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I sort of got the feeling that Tony might have been addicted to being Iron Man. He could have saved his life by using a battery and giving up the suit but then he would loose the thrill of being a superhero so instead he was effectively comitting slow suicide but still getting his kicks.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It would seem regardless of precautions in arc reactor tech being openly public, it was going to be developed again independently anyway, as Vanko proves. Now that Hammer and the US gov't have working reactors and even insights into Tony's main suit design from the stolen Mk. II, we could have a whole army made of each now.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Zor wrote:
Just one observation of note, did anyone see those Hammer robots and think they reminded you just a bit of Tau Battlesuits?

Zor
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. The ones with the guns over their shoulder had me thinking Broadsides.

I liked it. Didn't feel it was as strong as the first one, but it was a solid flick. The first third of the film I wasn't too hot about, then once the whole race-track fight scene happened I got pulled in, and it didn't let go.

I was a bit peeved that Black Widow didn't have a Russian accent, but felt Scarlett Johannsen did a decent job. My other complaint is it felt like Whiplash got taken down way too fast...the end of the final fight was too abrupt. He beats up on Tony and War Machine than they go "Wonder Twin powers activate!" and he's down.

Happy Hogan got to do more than he did in the first film. Glad he became the comic-foil, especially to Black Widow.

Glad we got to see drunk Tony Stark, and hope that thread continues in any sequels.

BTW: For the Thor critique...it sounds like the filmmakers are going to be vague on how "magical" shit is going to be. They stated something to the affect that "There is a race of beings called Asgardians in Marvel" is that race alien or gods? Is what they do magic, or tech we mere mortals cannot grasp?

I for one liked the nod to the OTHER Avenger far more than the one at the end (maybe because I was spoiled about the Thor bit).

Finally, as a New York resident one thing that I liked was seeing Flushing Meadows Park used for...SOMETHING. The old World's Fair grounds are going to utter shit, and will probably just crumble to dust at this rate. I wish someone would restore the grounds like Tony Stark apparently did in this film.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Wait, so the World's Fair is still derelict as shown in MIB? I thought it was Vegas from the trailers at first, I'll admit.

I do kind've wish the Asgardians woild be left out entirely, if only because aliens or gods, they're still way out there when Iron Man is all about real world stuff, ignoring rhe arc reactor needed for it to work. It'd be like introducing the Smoke Monster from Lost into The Wire and having a crossover. Iron Man is at least believable, so long as they DON'T do the Extremis "virus" bullshit. The Mk. V was shown to be fairly flimsy and limited, as it should be for an attache case sized unit.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Wait, so the World's Fair is still derelict as shown in MIB? I thought it was Vegas from the trailers at first, I'll admit.
Mostly. I was there last summer. Its a nice park itself. The "Space Park" is now a science museum, with nicely restored mock-ups of a Mercury-Atlas and Gemini-Titan. The observatory towers and pavilion (seen in this photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... rounds.jpg) however are badly neglected, and any attempt to restore them/find a use for them has been a political circus of stupidity.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I saw the movie last night and must confess I was disappointed. I felt they played up the assholish side of Stark too much, to the point where I couldn't really sympathize with the character or his actions. I thought Stark's critics had a legitimate point about his irresponsibility and his monopoly on the Iron Man tech. Rhodes was, I think, the most sympathetic of the main cast to me, since he was the one who finally stood up to Tony effectively (Pepper tried, but she was ineffectual). I also thought the film was slow and confusing in the middle, and kind of lacked a sense of direction. And I couldn't really buy Tony getting off for the crap he pulled so easily.

That said, Downy is a fine actor, and the special effects were largely fine. It was watchable, but probably not as good as the first, and even within the superhero genre I felt that it fell well below Hellboy 1, X-men, and a number of the Batman films, to land well in the second or third tier.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Saw it, liked it. Agreeing on it not being as strong as the first one. Nice of them to keep setting up the 10 rings, although it'd be nice if we got a more durable villian next time, someone who shows up at the beginning and stays active until he is beaten at the end.

I was also put off by Stark's behaviour. After the first movie I expected him to have grown a bit and hoped he'd be less assholish, at least towards Pepper, but the birthday party brawl was very uncomfortable to watch. Seems he forgot all his motivation from the previous movie (his dead scientist friend).

As for Black Widow, damn, if she can do that to you when trying to kick your ass, I shudder at the idea of what she'll be able to do during sex :mrgreen:

Regarding Thor and the avengers, I agree with Movie Bob, it feels awkward to mix all those franchises, with their differing themes, but it'll be really impressive if they actually manage it, and it'll also be something quite new and interesting if done properly.

Oh, and there was a massive lost opportunity when Hammer introduces his drones. He should have come out and said "Hammer time!" and danced to You Can't Touch This :lol:
unsigned
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

LordOskuro wrote:I was also put off by Stark's behaviour. After the first movie I expected him to have grown a bit and hoped he'd be less assholish, at least towards Pepper, but the birthday party brawl was very uncomfortable to watch. Seems he forgot all his motivation from the previous movie (his dead scientist friend).
I see it as fairly realistic, hes slowly dying and more or less given up and had decided to party his way to the grave rather than just sit around and wait for it to happen. Not the greatest thing he could have done but given his personality, history and resources it seem to me the most likely thing for him to do.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Up until he makes an ass of himself in the party, I was getting the feeling that he was mostly setting up his legacy, consider that he donates his art collection, builds the Stark Expo, sets Pepper up as the new head of Stark Industries and sets Rhodes up with the MKII (It is mentioned that the armor had been intentionally configured for his use). Up to that point I felt he was struggling to open up about his problem, but covertly making sure things were properly set up before he died. Then he pissed inside his own armor.

By the way, I noticed to scenes missing, from the ones seen in the trailer. The first is the scene where Pepper throws his helmet off the plane, and he jumps after it (wearing the rest of the suit). The second is a brief clip where Black Widow is wearing one of Iron Man's gloves and preparing to shoot the repulsor beam, while Stark holds her from behind and guides her (They seem to be in a party).
unsigned
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nitram and I saw it today, and damn it was just what I thought it would be -- good story, great action, and Big Explosions!!

My breakdown of what worked:

* The Senate Committee Meeting. I could see it was a setup, I could see Hammer was paying for the chance to get the tech. Still, the scene of Hammer's test-suit had me cringing. I think the test pilot would have been better off NOT surviving that.
* Tony's Nihilism. There's a reason why "Eat, drink, and be Merry" is still a common saying. He was trying to build his legacy, leave things in capable hands, and have a few last days/weeks of fun before he croaked. That leads to...
* Rhodey taking the suit. First, some have wondered why the fight started. I knew why Rhodey did it the moment I saw Tony making a fool out of himself -- this was a Intervention. A 'kick sense into my buddy' moment. I think if this moment hadn't happened, Tony would have found an excuse to give Rhodey the Mk2 either way.
* Ivan. His motives were clear and in his mind righteous. His intelligence was a match for Tony's, although his ideas of how to use the power generated was more .. uh... focused. Ivan was in control from the moment he met Hammer, Hammer just didn't know it.
* Speaking of which... Hammer was an arrogant slimy piece of shit who wasn't half as smart as he thought. I wanted him to die in a horribly ironic manner.
* Black Widow and Happy. Damn, what a fight scene! I was just counting bodies as she walked through the guards. Give Happy credit, he has the skills to drive the Grand Prix backwards against oncoming racecars, and to pin a dangerous opponent up against a wall just to save his boss. He may not be all that in a fist-fight, but he tries.
* The final fight. Nitram summed it up best... "Damn... cherry blossoms..." (anime reference, look up the trope)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I liked the movie, and I was absolutely CRINGING during the drunken-party-scene. Its totally Iron Man, but that doesn't mean it wasn't painful to watch a national hero make an ass out of himself.

Also, I really liked Justin Hammer's character. Its VERY hard to make a character that unlikeable and have him still be interesting.

Edit: The paltrow-helmet-kiss scene was supposed to be after the final action scene, at the end of their rooftop encounter.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

So...is the War Machine armor vulnerable to icing up since it's just the Mark II with a lot of aftermarket accessories attached? Believe it or not, that question preoccupied my mind the entire time Tony was being chased by Rhodey and the Hammeroids.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Galvatron wrote:So...is the War Machine armor vulnerable to icing up since it's just the Mark II with a lot of aftermarket accessories attached? Believe it or not, that question preoccupied my mind the entire time Tony was being chased by Rhodey and the Hammeroids.
I would guess that while it is the Mark-2, its been adjusted somewhat. Or, it could be they don't have the exact same capabilities, but the MK2 didn't ice up until it was MUCH higher than we saw in the 2nd movie.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Annatar Giftbringer
Youngling

Post by Annatar Giftbringer »

So, the Hammer Drones... Yeah I was thinking Tau, they looked awesome, and I liked that they had different versions with different weapon configurations. Made me think about how I wanted to use them together in RTS games :)

Army: Arm-mounted machine guns, shoulder-mounted cannons requiring bracing. did the Army version ever fly, or were they just walking and running?

Navy: Shoulder-mounted missile launchers x2. I didn't quite understand what was so 'navy' about them, but... Something to do with most naval vessels today being missile-based in their weaponry I guess? Machine guns in arms and flight capable?

Air Force: Flight capable (duh!). Arm mounted mini-missiles, pointing backwards so they launch in the right direction when flying. Did they also have some kind of shoulder-mounted maching gun, and/or arm-mounted machine guns?

Marines: Sorry but I did not spot their weapon-load at all.... What were they carrying?

Now, I need to watch the movie again, but I think they were all capable of flight, just that the AF version was best at it, and all of them packed arm-mounted machine guns as standard equipment. For speculation, perhaps the navy version is capable of submersion, and possibly the marine one too?

Yeah I know, not much of an analysis, but I'd love to hear if anyone spotted something I didn't, or correct me if I'm wrong on some point... And damn, poor test pilot, reminded me of the Mjolnir tests from 'the fall of Reach'.
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul