Doctor Who S05E04: "The Time Of Angels" [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Verdict?

5: Don't blink
51%
4: Mofftastic
41%
3: Trying to keep my eyes open
5%
2: *Yawn*
2%
1: I blunk
2%

Total votes: 63

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Doctor Who S05E04: "The Time Of Angels" [Spoilers]

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Meh. Bullshit to all this "i dont like the look" crap. If it's practicle now, there is no reason to believe it wont continue to be practical in the future. I mean, fine you might have spaceships, but if your running around in the mud curent-day combat gear will work just fine.

I think they may well be re-dressed guns from the Sanctuary base, or more likely from Messaline and the Humans in the war against the Hath. THe human guys there used what looked like P90's but seemed like wtf guns. Meh

As I said above, they use P90's because they look so very different to, say, an M-16 or an MP-5 etc. They don't LOOK like a current gun so they can pass as a near-future gun

A for why them and the (for them) old school uniforms, hell, maybe its a Church tradition

Now can we please stop whining about the costume and think more about the drama/dialogue/suspense etc?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

NecronLord wrote:
Bounty wrote:It was blindingly obvious that there is no "Amy angel" 'situation'. As the Doctor clearly proved, it's all in her head; the Angel's just making her hallucinate, probably to slow the team down. Whatever it is, I bet it won't even matter any more once she gets away from the maze.
Spoiler
Well, there's a scene in Confidential, I think, of her standing in some woodland surrounded by angels and freaking out. So it'll probably last outside the maze.
Regarding that setting:
Spoiler
If it's the same woodland as the one from the preview, it looked like the same hallucination that the Byzantium's guard ended up in thanks to Rivers lipstick. If so, it's all in her head.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I find the start of this episode pretty stupid. River Song deliberately shoves herself out of an airlock but has to wait thousands of years for the Doctor to get the message... after she would have done it.

So... didnt River just flush herself into a nasty death inorder to send that message so the Doctor could THEN get the box and THEN come back and alter history to save her ?
Which... logically would have meant the Angel would have crashed the ship in the unaltered timeline and done their business for thousands of years before the Doctor gets the message. I realise its meant to demonstrate she is 'awesome' and all but its actually extremely stupid to consider she essentially committed suicide in order to be rescued.

I couldnt help thinking during the scene where Amy tells the Doctor he CANNOT die because he has a future seems more accurate. If he dies and River dies, they cant meet in Silence of the Library thus resulting in the Doctors own timelines being changed. The Doctor goes on about the future being changeable yet... he removes Dalek technology from Winston Churchill because they arent 'meant' to have it.
I presume Earth wasnt meant to have a Torchwood with alien technology, Daleks in Manhatten, Cybermen invasions and other assorted shit yet the Doctor decides only the bad guys get to influence Earth history on grand scales...

It would have been so much better if this series had bought the bullet and done a full reset of Doctor Who by causing a massive change in history caused by the Time War. Thus allowing for the old series to continue in the Doctors memory and references without issues of having to refer back to old races, enemies, events and companions so much.
As it is, the Doctor does so much Time traveling its getting to the point where you would expect in 900 years of jumping from point to point, the Doctor cannot continue without crossing his own timelines etc.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Now can we please stop whining about the costume and think more about the drama/dialogue/suspense etc?
I'll second that with the following review.

As others have already said, THIS is what we have been expecting, and I think it goes to show that expanding Dr.Who stories back to the two hour formate makes for a better story and less rushing of plot. Virtually all Old Dr.Who "episodes" were done in serial format, so a single story was quite often two to three hours when put together.

'"Nu Who" I think has suffered from the start in trying to force interesting concepts into 45min sing episodes.

Getting on with it, from the opening of the show I was rather caught up in things. Realizing that the Doctor was effectively answering a message sent by some one 12,000 years ago in order to save them 3 seconds from Death was an interesting use of the time machine and something I hadn't seen in a while ((there is an old short story with something similar, with a group of scientists 'calling' to a time traveller 1000 years in the future, by sending a single out into Deep Space to a point they know he visits, that is 1000 light years away))

Also, gripe all you want about a the church soldiers clothing and get up, I found it refreshing to have 'ANY' military force in Who actually ACTING like a military, and not just a bunch of bumbling idiots there to make the Doctor look good. I also like the tone of the show as a whole, you knew there was something off about the statues. the first time the Doctor mention the locals having two heads I went "Hold on a sec"

The first half of this does a very good job at keeping you interested and keeping things moving.

I am still unsure about "Amy" at this point.. She seems to have aspects of Martha in terms of "not being afraid" of the weird, but its mixed up with a far too bubbly attitude at times about things. I still am holding reservations as to weather or not she, like almost everyone else, becomes a love interest towards the Doctor.

The interplay between the "wife" and the Doctor is also odd, but so far I find it handled well. I don't like how she FLAUNTS in the Doctors face events she knows of the future, considering that virtually all events involving the Doctor tend to involve large amounts of death and saving the world in the nic of time, I certainly wouldn't be "Ha Ha, I know something you don't" about it. That said, seeing how she acts, and knowing that at some point the Doctor comes to "love" such a women, hints that at some point in the far future, the Doctor as we know him is going to deeply change, and begin to 'loosen up' quite a bit,

As far as the next part. Not sure what to make from the previews. It looks liek they get out of the cave and are on the surface, but obviously are still being chased and in danger. Also I want to know how the story is going to tie into the "Very dangerous and unstable Drive" mentioned several time in the crashed rocket.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Um, he does kind of kills/beats/ruins the shit out of the bad guys for a living and he DOES end up marginalizing the effects of whatever the bad guys did?

Oh shit. I just remembered. In that episode where Davros returned, didn't a whole bunch of humans got captured and sent to the Crucible? What happened to them? Did they die?
As it is, the Doctor does so much Time traveling its getting to the point where you would expect in 900 years of jumping from point to point, the Doctor cannot continue without crossing his own timelines etc.
The Doctor would know WHICH timelines he went to, so he can totally avoid intersecting with himself. This is probably why he barely stays in one place for more than a day or something. Man, that sucks for him. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

PREDATOR490 wrote: So... didnt River just flush herself into a nasty death inorder to send that message so the Doctor could THEN get the box and THEN come back and alter history to save her ?
Which... logically would have meant the Angel would have crashed the ship in the unaltered timeline and done their business for thousands of years before the Doctor gets the message. I realise its meant to demonstrate she is 'awesome' and all but its actually extremely stupid to consider she essentially committed suicide in order to be rescued.
Depending on who Dr. Who timelines work, this is indeed the case, I talked about this to my Boyfriend after we first watched it. In order for something to get TO the future, it has to ravel their the 'slow' way. Which would mean, in theory, when the Doctor first gets to the museum, River has died in the vacuum of space 12,000 years earlier.

That said I don't exactly agree that the Doctor is doing more harm then good, or that the new show should have "done a full reset" what ever that means.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
PREDATOR490 wrote: So... didnt River just flush herself into a nasty death inorder to send that message so the Doctor could THEN get the box and THEN come back and alter history to save her ?
Depending on who Dr. Who timelines work, this is indeed the case, I talked about this to my Boyfriend after we first watched it. In order for something to get TO the future, it has to ravel their the 'slow' way. Which would mean, in theory, when the Doctor first gets to the museum, River has died in the vacuum of space 12,000 years earlier.
On the other hand who's to say it isn't working like Bill & Ted? Remember when they were sneaking into the police station, and they need to unlock something, so they make themselves remember to travel back in time and leave themselves the key they need when everything is finished, and presto, the key appears exactly where they intend to leave it. They run into one of their dads, a cop, and remind themselves to hop back in time and prepare a trap to distract him so they can escape, and bam, the trap appears and does just that. They have a time machine, they have the intent. Assuming they aren't going to die or lose said machine before they can later implement the plan, then there's no reason it wouldn't work.

The same thing happens here, except instead of doing the time monkeying herself, she leaves a message to the Doctor, makes a large leap of faith to assume that he actually finds it and comes to rescue her. It doesn't require her to die unless he fails to get the message ever. If he ever does get the message and does what she wants him to do, then she gets rescued. There's no reason to assume that she never gets rescued when we actually witness her getting rescued. It's time travel for chrisakes.

Another example is the Stainless Steel Rat - he's trapped and facing certain death. But the agency he works for has time travel tech. He gets a reprieve when a time device materialises in front of him, giving him a means of escape. He uses it to survive and return to base, and because this was his idea all along, immediately grabs a time device from the base lab and sends it back in time to himself, thus ensuring his own survival. That's an even trickier plan than Rivers, because the Rat one is an ontological paradox. I'm not entirely sure her plan is.

So I don't see what was wrong with her escape plan, other than it was incredibly risky. It required the Doctor to find her message at some point and come to the exact time and place she needed to rescue her in the nick of time. But he's a nigh immortal time traveller, so it's not such a huge leap.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

There is a fundamental flaw in your logic, in that the examples you gave still Involve the use of time travel.

Look if I have Brick, and I write "Save me, Year 1000, time etc." because I know in, say 10,000 someone with a time machine will find that brick.. Well it REQUIERS that brick to 'travel' forward 10,000 years.

In my own personal timeline, 5 seconds after writing the message, the brick is STILL there. One year after writing the message, the Brick is STILL there. In your personal time line, that brick is moving at relative time to yourself. You need it to go 10,000 years into the future. Well guess what, you will be long gone before that happens.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

You're making this harder than it has to be. Doctor Who is not multiple time-lines like SDN's popular Trek theory.. There's not an original time line where River dies and then a new one when the doctor turns up to save her. There is one timeline. From her point of view, she leaves it, blows herself out an airlock and there is a time machine waiting to save her. That is it.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Except your example requires that time travel does not exist and that no time traveller will ever find it and act on it. It's pretty damn simple - if at some point in the future, be it five years or five million years, a time traveller *does* find your message and *does* in fact travel back in time to help you out, then what the hell is going to stop him from appearing before you as if by magic? If time travel is possible and said traveller does just that, there is no reason why that wouldn't happen.

Seriously, you seem to be saying that if I wrote on the brick, nothing would happen. I'd sit there until I die and the time traveller I wrote the message to wouldn't appear and help me as requested. Granted, that's possible if he never does find the message, or does but choses not to act on it. But if he does act on it, then he will appear before me and help me. I will not be sitting on my thumbs for the next however many years waiting for nothing. If I am, then where's the time traveller? What happened to him? Did he cease to exist? Alternate universes/timelines notwithstanding, if I write a message to a future time traveller, he gets it and acts on it and comes for me, there is no logical reason he wont appear before me unless something prevents him from doing so. Ergo I will get my lift/rescue, just as planned. It's cause and bloody effect. If I travel back in time and kill my grandfather, the logic of cause and effect means that something fucked up will happen. Likewise, if the above scenario occurs, logic dictates that barring intereference the time traveller will appear. He has to, if he choses to. He can't cease to exist and not appear.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I hate to be utterly picky and all that, but I cant help but noticing that most of the above statements include the assumption that the time traveller can materialise at the right time but also the right place. That's not a problem for the Doctor with his space/time machine, but time travellers with pure time machines would have a few problems

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

*shrug* That's true but River knows exactly what The Doctor and his TARDIS are capable of and planned appropriately, what's the problem?
septesix
Padawan Learner

Post by septesix »

Like the episode. I actually had low hope going in, since I am not sure how mixing River Song and Weeping Angel can turn out well, seem too gimiky to me.

but it worked rather well, not as good as blink, but still nice.

Also, don't Weeping Angels breaks the ultimate 4th wall with the Audience? Remember, they don't move as long as we can see them too.......
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Vympel, how on Earth can you like shit like Transformers 2 but roll your eyes at far-less-super-stupid stuff like nuWho? I find the Doctor pontificating bout how he's awesome to be pretty alright compared to bucktooth hillbillybots. And, I think Eleven's nowhere near like Ten's stupid indignation moments. Fucking Ten.
It's a question of tone. Doctor Who, no matter how much (the latest batch of) nuWho tries to convince me otherwise, will never work when its some eccentric in rubbish clothes triumphantly running around declaring how awesome he is whilst obnoxious faux-choral-epic-bombastic-whatever-the-fuck-you-call-it movie blasts your ears out.

Its just plain bad, and I wish they'd let up on it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Vympel wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Vympel, how on Earth can you like shit like Transformers 2 but roll your eyes at far-less-super-stupid stuff like nuWho? I find the Doctor pontificating bout how he's awesome to be pretty alright compared to bucktooth hillbillybots. And, I think Eleven's nowhere near like Ten's stupid indignation moments. Fucking Ten.
It's a question of tone. Doctor Who, no matter how much (the latest batch of) nuWho tries to convince me otherwise, will never work when its some eccentric in rubbish clothes triumphantly running around declaring how awesome he is whilst obnoxious faux-choral-epic-bombastic-whatever-the-fuck-you-call-it movie blasts your ears out.

Whereas films consisting of some supposedly uber warrior giant robots spending most of their screen time performing cringe-inducingly awful bad bad comedy routines ranging from from the leeringly sexist & racist to generally pitiable whilst never passing up a below the lowest common denominator cliché, in films otherwise largely taken up by annoying humans doing pretty much the same to obnoxiously bombastic would be stirring music aren't "just plain bad" with a fucking appalling "tone"?

Doctor Who generally isn't wonderful tele it's usually all-right sometimes (last week) awful and sometimes like this weekend and the previous episode with the angels just amazing and so much better than Transformers that it's utterly absurd that you can slate it whilst defending the fucking transformers films.

The best of Who like the Empty Child, Blink, the Time of the Angels... is just so superior to Transformers that it just seems absurd to even talk about them in the same breadth. In each of those stories Who packed in infinitely more tension, emotion, comedy, affecting action, fun... than both the Transformers films combined & for a fraction of the budget & screen time.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Plekhanov wrote: Whereas films consisting of some supposedly uber warrior giant robots spending most of their screen time performing cringe-inducingly awful bad bad comedy routines ranging from from the leeringly sexist & racist to generally pitiable whilst never passing up a below the lowest common denominator cliché, in films otherwise largely taken up by annoying humans doing pretty much the same to obnoxiously bombastic would be stirring music aren't "just plain bad" with a fucking appalling "tone"?
Nope, IMO they're good fun. This might have something to do with their being multi hundred million buck summer movie extravaganzas made with far more technical film making skill than nuWho, though that's to be expected since nuWho is meant to be the cheap tat that it is.

This is purely about what Doctor Who has always been to me, and nuWho writing just isn't doint it for me. When I see Matt Smith going on about "oooh I'm a Timey Wimey Lord never put me in a trap fear me!" I'm not thinking its awesome, I'm thining he's a silly wanker who someone needs to punch in the head.

In fact, that would do wonders for the series. If, in the middle of one of his big self important speeches, the villain just smacks him in the head and he does a prat fall spitting blood. It would break the tedious monotony of his antics and would be a genuine shock that may even be an opportunity for real character growth.

In fact, you actually can refer to Transformers as to how you should do a hero character, i.e. Optimus Prime. In neither the cartoon or the films is Optimus a raving monologue-spouting egomaniac who spends more time talking than doing. We didn't need Prime to tell us how unbelievably awe insprising his might was - we just needed to see him do heroic shit.

I'm sorry, but boasting is unbecoming.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Vympel wrote:
Plekhanov wrote:Whereas films consisting of some supposedly uber warrior giant robots spending most of their screen time performing cringe-inducingly awful bad bad comedy routines ranging from from the leeringly sexist & racist to generally pitiable whilst never passing up a below the lowest common denominator cliché, in films otherwise largely taken up by annoying humans doing pretty much the same to obnoxiously bombastic would be stirring music aren't "just plain bad" with a fucking appalling "tone"?
Nope, IMO they're good fun. This might have something to do with their being multi hundred million buck summer movie extravaganzas made with far more technical film making skill than nuWho, though that's to be expected since nuWho is meant to be the cheap tat that it is.

This is purely about what Doctor Who has always been to me, and nuWho writing just isn't doint it for me. When I see Matt Smith going on about "oooh I'm a Timey Wimey Lord never put me in a trap fear me!" I'm not thinking its awesome, I'm thining he's a silly wanker who someone needs to punch in the head.

In fact, that would do wonders for the series. If, in the middle of one of his big self important speeches, the villain just smacks him in the head and he does a prat fall spitting blood. It would break the tedious monotony of his antics and would be a genuine shock that may even be an opportunity for real character growth.

In fact, you actually can refer to Transformers as to how you should do a hero character, i.e. Optimus Prime. In neither the cartoon or the films is Optimus a raving monologue-spouting egomaniac who spends more time talking than doing. We didn't need Prime to tell us how unbelievably awe insprising his might was - we just needed to see him do heroic shit.

I'm sorry, but boasting is unbecoming.
But the tranformers films aren't fun which is in itself something of an achievement. They're full of things that I often find fun; robots, explosions, actors with screen presence, attractive women... & all executed with amazing technical competence but such is the wretchedness of the material they're working with & the man in overall charge that overall it only manages to be tedious and annoying.

I'm anything but keen on the Doctor's self congratulatory speeches but atleast they're generally over quickly & weren't a waste of anything. In contrast Bay took some of the greatest cgi artists in the world & had them animate prat falls, dry humping, gaint testicles... & filled the screen with that crap with what seemed like a very very long time.

Doctor Who is fun the transformers films are something approaching anti-fun.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

I like this episode, but have a few problems with it:

River Song - Not a fan of her, she just keeps talking and making stupid comments about how she knows about the future. I saw her in the Forest of the Dead / Silence in the Library episodes and it wasn't as bad since she was occupied with her entire team getting eaten by microscopic bugs that looked like shadows.

But in this episode she introduces herself by dressing up like some kind of James Bond spy girl, blowing kisses to security cameras she has no idea will survive whatever crash or garbage will be going on and throwing herself into space on the off chance that the Doctor will be watching video from a piece of delicate machinery she burned letters into and had get in a crash, and magically show up in a museum somewhere. Thats just too absurd for a sane person to even think about... why can't she pull a Doc Brown and just send a message to some space post office and ask them to keep it around for 12,000 years until the Doctor shows up somewhere. That would make sense.

Mysterious Man: Hello, are you The Doctor?

Doctor: Why yes I am.

Mysterious Man: We've been keeping this stone tablet in our long-term storage box for the last twelve millenia... well, more like we inherited it from the long line of other businesses that keep mail around for periods longer than most civilizations remain functional. It says that you would be here and to deliver it to you. *hands him the tablet*

Amy: Whats that?

Doctor: Oh, just getting my mail. Real hassle when you're in my line of work. Lets see... its ancient galifreyan and says "Sweety, I'm about to get myself sucked out an airlock on 1297hd3applebannana at sector 1247-3833-2976. Help save my ass so that don't end up looking like a total moron."

Amy: Wow... should we save her.

Doctor: Meh, I'll go back in time and save her after I get some lunch. Sounds like it'll be an adventure and I hate to start those on an empty stomach.

And every single word that comes out of her mouth is just her saying that she already met the Doctor in the future. Really, when a bone fide Time Lord tells you to stop talking about the future to avoid paradoxes then stop trying to shove your diary in his face, it's annoying. If you keep that up then he might just leave you and have his future self show up later to finish the job just to get you to stop bragging your meager temporal advantage.

Amy Pond - This is the first episode of this series so I really don't know much about her. She comes off a bit... whispy or something. Kind of like River Tam from Firefly. Personally, when the Angel started coming out of the video screen then I would have started knocking on the door earlier since something freaky was going on. I'm not a horror movie fan but I know that haunted TV screens are bad news to hang around.

The Weeping Angels - These guys are awesome. They are living statues that can move when you can't see them and kill you by sending you back in time. In Blink I thought it was kind of interesting how people were scared of these things... I mean, they 'kill' you by sending you back in time. If people knew that one of them was in the neighborhood then it should take about 12 hours before hoards of people started brushing up on history, collecting all the records of Stock Market activity they could find on the last few decades and running at the angels while blindfolded.

Get sent back in time a few decades, make some wise investments and 'invent' some interesting things, live a life of fabulous luxury and die of old age shortly after you left. Its time travel for people without a TARDIS!

Wait... the weeping angels are snapping peoples necks now? CRAP!!

Of course, the angels could be lying and they did send the people back in time... but told the Doctor otherwise for reasons unknown. Or maybe they did snap the guards necks to paralyze them and sent them back in time while they were too broken to cause temporal shenanigans.

Though having a whole mass of starving Angels in the catacombs does have some interesting questions... they obviously have some kind of plan. If they just wanted to eat people they should have been able to dig their way out of that place and feast on a planet full of people. Get a burlap sack, sneak in the darkness, grab one or two people and bring it back to the catacombs for dinner. Maybe tie them up so that when they get sent back then they can't warn anyone... people just vanish without a trace and archologists keep finding mysterious skeletons buried somewhere.

But then, they have got to be more dangerous than just killing individual people via time travel. If Doctor and the army are so concerned about the safety of the planet then the Angels need to be really something else. Could the Angels actually take out a whole planets full of people and how would that work? If a swarm or really hungry Angels arrived on Earth and 'ate' every single man, woman and child on the planet now... then you would just have them all sent back 20 or so years and the 1990's would have a whole bunch of people from the future show up.

Now, assuming temporal paradox doesn't destroy the Earth... there would be some serious overpopulation problems. People would die, wars would be fought, tech from 2020 would be explained to the people of 1990, the time displaced people would have children... and when 2010 rolls around again then there would be an extra generation of people with crazy tech who are ticked off at the Angels for 'eating' their parents.

So... there really is no way for the Angels to be a danger to 6 billion people if they just time displace them... they would get hit with the temporal version of the laws of thermodynamics. These angels have to have some motive beyond eating random Joes, and apparently ticking off The Doctor is a part of that plan.

The Church Army - I don't mind their uniforms. But considering that they know what they are dealing with, I'm surprised that they aren't acting different.

1). Get some glow-sticks and just toss them all over the place. Electric lanterns, flashlights, fires, send in a swarm of fireflies... they are apparantly dealing with the biggest ultimate evil in the universe and its biggest weakness is light and being looked at. Flood the place in light using as many light sources as you can think of.

2). If someone says 'come look at this' while refusing to tell you what 'it' is... they are being jerks and don't deserve the dignity of a response. Either that or they are trying to kill you. Those soldiers should have alerted their captain as soon as their fellows started acting like morons/serial killers over the radio.

3). Get Motion Sensors, not sure how well that would work since they can suck energy from devices but some tripwires or other things to trace movement in the cataombs would be nice. Heck, get a bunch of wire with bells on them and wrap them around the statues to see if any of them move... could add some creepy bell jingling noise to the angels as they move around.

4). Use explosives to blow up the statues... unless you are trying to preserve the ancient statues for archeological reasons. Extreme case... attach motion sensing bombs to the statues so that if they move they explode.

and a bunch of other stuff... I'm just saying that when you're hunting vampires you bring garlic and wooden stakes. When hunting Angels... use something that can hurt them. Unless your plan is to get sent back in time or something.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Vympel wrote:It's a question of tone. Doctor Who, no matter how much (the latest batch of) nuWho tries to convince me otherwise, will never work when its some eccentric in rubbish clothes triumphantly running around declaring how awesome he is whilst obnoxious faux-choral-epic-bombastic-whatever-the-fuck-you-call-it movie blasts your ears out.

I for one LOVE it when the characters are pretty much seemingly normal or otherwise unimpressive, but great music starts playing in the background as if it is an epic end of the world struggle (it is) despite the lack of explosions/giant robots/special effects, PARTICULARLY when the setting is also NOT a postapocalyptic warzone/hell/whatever but is just, say, Sandford Gloustershire or something. I don't know why, but I find that very British.

It reminds me of Hot Fuzz or some shit. NuWho needs MORE episodes where the fate of the human race and the future of the universe is decided in tiny rustic British towns. :mrgreen:
Rossum wrote: Amy Pond - This is the first episode of this series so I really don't know much about her.
Um, no its not. Its the fourth episode of the series. First episode? What? :wtf:
1). Get some glow-sticks and just toss them all over the place. Electric lanterns, flashlights, fires, send in a swarm of fireflies... they are apparantly dealing with the biggest ultimate evil in the universe and its biggest weakness is light and being looked at. Flood the place in light using as many light sources as you can think of.
They did have that floaty lighty thing.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Rossum wrote: Amy Pond - This is the first episode of this series so I really don't know much about her.
Um, no its not. Its the fourth episode of the series. First episode? What? :wtf:
Sorry, I meant to say its the first episode of this series that I've seen. The last episode of Doctor Who I saw was the one where Devros and the Daleks built that universe erasing thing out of all those planets and Donna saved the day by turning half timelord and using elite 10-key typing skills to hack into all the dalek controls and activate the self-destruct or something. Then Donna loses her memory and has to forget that it ever happened.

So I missed the episode that introduces Amy.

Anyway, I just remembered something about the hoards of angels in that catacomb... alot of them have deformed faces... which means their eyes are probably plucked out or something... which means that they are blind. Which means that the whole 'trick them into looking at eachother and getting quantum-locked forever' thing won't work on them. This could be due to them losing their form due to starvation or them gouging eachothers eyes out in self defense.

Plus, the people who built the catacombs had two heads... which means that one head could keep on the look out while the other head blinked. The original makers of the catacombs were more resistant to the Angels than normal one headed people and they all got wiped out.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

And every single word that comes out of her mouth is just her saying that she already met the Doctor in the future. Really, when a bone fide Time Lord tells you to stop talking about the future to avoid paradoxes then stop trying to shove your diary in his face, it's annoying. If you keep that up then he might just leave you and have his future self show up later to finish the job just to get you to stop bragging your meager temporal advantage.
Clearly you were watching a different fucking episode. They both say they know each other but their meetings are a jumbled mess, and the only other thing she says is a quip about her driving lessons.
She out right refuses to tell Amy what he's like in the future and she spends far more of her time concerned with the Angels than any future they have.

You also have the diary complete backwards. He tells Amy to keep away from it, nothing else, and it is in fact a rather good idea to get it out as soon as possible since it tells her exactly what she can and can't say.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I wonder if the 'driving lessons' wasn't to introduce the 'blue stabilisers' if Moffat wants to get away from the hectic look of the RTD seasons. In the old series, the TARDIS operated quite fine in normal flight without the Doctor having to run around the console. Perhaps this will be the trend in future?

Only time will tell.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Would be nice if it wasn't "Hectic frantic button pusching all the time." That got really annoying. By the end of Donna's season it got to the point where the console would catch fire every now and then, sparks fly and the whole thing looks like its going to fall apart in a few seconds

Maybe the TARDIS took a few hits in the Time War and isn't working properly?