What's New in books this year?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

What's New in books this year?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I haven't read any new fiction in months, and now that my exam is over, I wanted some tips about anything new and/or interesting that might have come out in the field of Sci fi, fantasy, popular science, economics, history in the past year or two :).
(Obviously, considering the forum this is in, I'm looking primarily for science fiction or fantasy reccomendations).

Currently, the only books on my hitlist are "Cain's Last stand" and "the judging eye". I have all the Malazan books (the primary series at least, not the Esslemont books), and i'm thinking of trying to get Reynold's "The Prefect".
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Re: What's New in books this year?

Post by white_rabbit »

I'd say get the Esslemont books :wink:
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

There is not really a lot of new Science Fiction that stands out, so far as I know. Peter F. Hamilton has some new books out, and so does David Weber, if you're a fan. John Scalzi is still writing new stuff, although I couldn't tell you if it's any good. I think Alistair Reynolds and Ian Banks have come out with new stuff lately, but I haven't heard much about them. There's been a slew of unremarkable military sci-fi lately, but not a whole lot else. Fantasy is what is 'hot' in genre publishing these days, so that's where the action is.

In Fantasy, there are a few books out worth noticing. There are new volumes in the Dresden Files series, Repairman Jack series, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Kim Harrison's series, Patricia Brigg's series, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series, Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, and a few other series that spring to mind. If you're looking for a completely new fantasy author, you really should try The Warded Man by Peter Brett (sold in the UK as The Painted Man). It's good, it's (mostly) original, and the characters will breathe for you. I also hear that Brent Weeks's Way of Shadows is quite good, but I haven't read it myself.

If you enjoy the WH40k universe, check out Steve Parker's Gunheads. It's the best Imperial Guard novel to come out in a long time, excepting the Ciaphas Cain series.

In terms of science, I can't recommend enough the book Dogs: Their Fossil Relatives and Evolutionary History. If you own a dog, or just love doggies, you should really read the book. The authors also wrote a similar book about the big cats, which I plan to get by the end of the year.

If you love history and geography, the you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of Our Dumb World. It's the funniest atlas ever published.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Thanks!
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:There is not really a lot of new Science Fiction that stands out, so far as I know. Peter F. Hamilton has some new books out,
I tried one of his books and it was crap. (Although it was apparently one of his least recomended ones).
John Scalzi is still writing new stuff, although I couldn't tell you if it's any good.
I've only read Old man's war. I found it good, but not something to get excited about. (And didn't see why sequels would be needed).
Fantasy is what is 'hot' in genre publishing these days, so that's where the action is.
Works for me :).
There are new volumes in the Dresden Files series, Malazan Book of the Fallen,
Read them all, or meaning to at least (The Esslemont books). I haven't read backup, but apart from that, i've read everything up to and including Turncoat.
Repairman Jack series,Kim Harrison's series, Patricia Brigg's series, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series,
Never read them, the only one of those that i've even heard about is the repairman Jack series.
Naomi Novik's Temeraire series,
Read a few. Nice and fluffy, but generic fantasy (Dragonlance, FR) level writing.
and a few other series that spring to mind. If you're looking for a completely new fantasy author, you really should try The Warded Man by Peter Brett (sold in the UK as The Painted Man). It's good, it's (mostly) original, and the characters will breathe for you.
I'm not a fan of character heavy/focused books usually, personal interplay is not my forte. I remember you recommending this book once, but the Amazon review shows little of interest. Mind telling me more?
If you enjoy the WH40k universe, check out Steve Parker's Gunheads. It's the best Imperial Guard novel to come out in a long time, excepting the Ciaphas Cain series.
I don't like the IG series. I understand that all of the Horus Heresy books since Fulgrim's have been crap, right?
In terms of science, I can't recommend enough the book Dogs: Their Fossil Relatives and Evolutionary History. If you own a dog, or just love doggies, you should really read the book. The authors also wrote a similar book about the big cats, which I plan to get by the end of the year.
I'm allergic to both, and i'll pass. But thanks!
If you love history and geography, the you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of Our Dumb World. It's the funniest atlas ever published.
That sounds nice.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
I own both that and Atlast Schmatlas. Both have made great contributions to the humour quotient in this household.

A better idea of what's inside can be found here: the home page
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

I recommend the Braided Path by Chris Wooding.
All other fantasy series that are still in my mind are not finished and I won't recommend unfinished stuff. :P
(I'm currently on a non-SF/F phase when it comes to reading)

One the SF side, maybe the Dread Empire's Fall series by Walter Jon Williams?
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Luzifer's right hand wrote: One the SF side, maybe the Dread Empire's Fall series by Walter Jon Williams?
Have it, read it. (Not amazed, though a nice-ish series).
Luzifer's right hand wrote:All other fantasy series that are still in my mind are not finished and I won't recommend unfinished stuff. :P
(I'm currently on a non-SF/F phase when it comes to reading)
Then tell me about that? :)
Photography
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well you say you're caught up on Dresden, have you been reading the Codex Alera books as well then?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

SylasGaunt wrote:Well you say you're caught up on Dresden, have you been reading the Codex Alera books as well then?
I haven't read any of them. Are they any good? The backcover blurb looked like crap..?
Photography
Genii Lodus
Padawan Learner

Post by Genii Lodus »

I can recommend Reynold's The Prefect and House of Suns. Both are pretty great, The Prefect gives a good insight into pre-Plague society in the pre-Plague Revelation Space 'verse while House of Suns is an awesome standalone. Bank's Matter was ok, not his best sci-fi work but worth reading if you've caught up on the rest of his output. I think the third part of Hamilton's Void trilogy is coming out late this year though it might slip into next year - I wasn't so keen on the first book and haven't gotten round to the second - he's still in desperate need of an editor to get rid of half his superfluous characters. Your mileage may vary.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

DEATH wrote: I haven't read any of them. Are they any good? The backcover blurb looked like crap..?
I greatly enjoyed them. The first book in the series is the weakest overall but it's still plenty enjoyable and they only get better after that.

It avoids most of the normal fantasy cliches. There's no elves or dwarves or orcs, no pseudo-medieval setting (pseudo-roman instead with good reason), and instead of the main character being the lone bearer of a great and mysterious power he's the only poor human anyone knows of who doesn't have some form of elemental super powers. Of course Tavi's got himself a tricky mind as a result of spending his entire life without any furycraft to use to solve his problems.

It's also got another upside in that unlike some other fantasy series it's going to actually finish up fairly soon with the last book set to come out later this year.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

DEATH wrote:I don't like the IG series. I understand that all of the Horus Heresy books since Fulgrim's have been crap, right?
Well, this is strictly a matter of opinion, but Legion was all right. Avoid Battle of the Abyss; it does absolute shit in terms of plot advancement and it doesn't even portray what you'd think it would. What else came after Fulgrim... the Dark Angels novel, whatever it was called, was okay. Not spectacular, but a decent enough portrayal of pre-Emperor-showing-up Lion el'Jonson and Caliban. Mechanicum was excellent IMO though, and I personally liked the 'Tales of Heresy' short-story collection, though it does have quite a bit of GRIMDARK.

Just my 2c...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

DEATH wrote:Thanks!
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:There is not really a lot of new Science Fiction that stands out, so far as I know. Peter F. Hamilton has some new books out,
I tried one of his books and it was crap. (Although it was apparently one of his least recomended ones).
I found the Night's Dawn trilogy to be pretty good, if cheesy. I enjoyed it with the same part of my brain that likes Babylon 5.
Repairman Jack series,Kim Harrison's series, Patricia Brigg's series, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series,
Never read them, the only one of those that i've even heard about is the repairman Jack series.
I am a big fan of the Repairman Jack series. It has a lot of horror elements in it, but also some humor and quite a few thriller elements.

Brandon Sanderson is a pretty good writer. He wrote Elantris, which was a good stand-alone novel even if the squeaky-clean (*cough*Mormon*cough*) characters were a bit hard to take seriously. The first Mistborn book is even better, and the series is pretty popular, but I just haven't gotten around to reading more of it. A great deal of his new popularity may be based on the fact that he is writing the final Wheel of Time novel(s?).

Kim Harrison and Patricia Briggs both write modern/urban fantasy with strong female protagonists. They are about as popular now as Charlaine Harris or Laurell K. Hamilton were about 3 years ago, and still gaining new fans. I have bought some of their books, but have not had time to read them.
and a few other series that spring to mind. If you're looking for a completely new fantasy author, you really should try The Warded Man by Peter Brett (sold in the UK as The Painted Man). It's good, it's (mostly) original, and the characters will breathe for you.
I'm not a fan of character heavy/focused books usually, personal interplay is not my forte. I remember you recommending this book once, but the Amazon review shows little of interest. Mind telling me more?
Sure. The book is set in a world where demons (known as corelings) rise out of the ground every night at sunset and attack anyone they can find. The only protection available is to be inside a warded house throughout the dark hours. Travel is nearly impossible unless you're going somewhere you can get to during daylight hours, which has caused various towns and city states to form and become isolated.

Once, thousands of years ago when the corelings first arrived, a messianic figure known as the Deliverer taught the people how to make wards that would turn the corelings' magic back on them, and the demons were defeated for an age. During this age of enlightenment, many wards were forgotten and science prevailed, which left mankind unprepared for round 2, which has been going on for 500 or so years at the time of the book, I think.

The main character, Arlen, was always curious about what lie over the next hill, and what life would be like without the corelings. When his mother is torn apart by demons, he rushes out to save her while his father stands terrified behind the warded threshhold. Although he is badly injured, and fails to save his mother, the experience teaches Arlen that mankind's biggest weakness against the demons is fear, and he blames cowardice and complacency for the state of the world. He sets off to learn as much as he can about the corelings and how to defeat them.

Do you want to learn more? Is this the kind of information you were asking me about? If you're looking for some kickass fantasy action, there is that, too, but I found the background and how the characters interact with it to be the most compelling parts of the story.
I don't like the IG series. I understand that all of the Horus Heresy books since Fulgrim's have been crap, right?
If you don't mind me asking, why do you dislike novels about the Imperial Guard? I should also mention that Gunheads is primarily about a tank company.

As for the Heresy, Mechanicum was pretty good.
I'm allergic to both, and i'll pass. But thanks!
Holy crap is that sad. Maybe you can find a nice pet who won't set off your allergies? I hear that Portuguese Water Dogs are supposed to be easy on allergy sufferers.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett