T:SCC 2x22 "Born To Run"

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The designation of this episode is T-

71%
23%
2%
No votes
4%

Total votes: 48

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Re: T:SCC 2x22 "Born To Run"

Post by neoolong »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I just realized something. In the original TSCC timeline, Martin Bedell is a big Resistance honcho who can command chumps like Derek what to do and can decide to ignore Connor's commands since he's a total hardass. In the new "John-less" timeline, Martin Bedell is presumably STILL gonna be a big Resistance honcho and what's more is that he had his ass saved in the past by Young John. Imagine his surprise when he meets Young John again, totally unaged, and the guy tells him what's happened! Ha-ha!
The other thing is that Martin saw adult-Derek in the past, yet Derek in the future doesn't know him.
And there's the Fields Girl, whatshername!
Lauren. Shipping wars commence.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I just realized something. In the original TSCC timeline, Martin Bedell is a big Resistance honcho who can command chumps like Derek what to do and can decide to ignore Connor's commands since he's a total hardass. In the new "John-less" timeline, Martin Bedell is presumably STILL gonna be a big Resistance honcho and what's more is that he had his ass saved in the past by Young John. Imagine his surprise when he meets Young John again, totally unaged, and the guy tells him what's happened! Ha-ha!

And there's the Fields Girl, whatshername!

Things ain't yet so screwed for Young John's Further Future Adventures.

Good point, but why do you assume they would all serve in the same post now that the resistance is most likely more uncoordinated?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Lauren Girl and Martin Bedell are all from LA or somewhere generally in California. It's not like after J-Day, they'll end up fighting Skynet's mechanical hordes in Outer Mongolia or Timbuktu anyway. And John Connor is also in the general LA/Calif area. And in the original timeline, irrespective of John Connor, these characters are still present in the general area - tagging along or bumping into each other every once in a while when Skynet plagues or Ogre Hunter Killers come along every so often.
neoolong wrote:The other thing is that Martin saw adult-Derek in the past, yet Derek in the future doesn't know him.
hai derek i am your supperior commanding officer martin bedell btw when i was a littel boy you traveled back in teim to save my butts from a terminators and it was a formative learning experiences for mes :P

Derek in the future does know him, as a hardass commanding officer. Who's to say that Martin Bedell doesn't still become a hardass commanding officer in the John-less future? Irrespective of Connor, Martin Bedell was still a hardass military academy cadet and had all sorts of leadership material to lead a scrappy band of plucky future rebels.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Lauren Girl and Martin Bedell are all from LA or somewhere generally in California. It's not like after J-Day, they'll end up fighting Skynet's mechanical hordes in Outer Mongolia or Timbuktu anyway.
Where's your evidence for that? We do know that Lauren was moving around all over the states trying to evade Terminators.

As for Martin Bedell, we have no way of knowing how far away the academy he went to is (besides a general several hours drive), especially as he would have graduated from that are and moved on to officer school, which AFAIK know is on the other side of the USA.
Derek in the future does know him, as a hardass commanding officer. Who's to say that Martin Bedell doesn't still become a hardass commanding officer in the John-less future? Irrespective of Connor, Martin Bedell was still a hardass military academy cadet and had all sorts of leadership material to lead a scrappy band of plucky future rebels.
Where does all of this Bedell wanking come from? AFAIK he was crucial to sacrificing themselves so that they could save Connor. Where is the evidence of him being such great leadership material?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He was Derek's superior and was the commanding officer of their little group (Reese brothers and co.) and Derek regarded him highly - highly enough, at least, for him to have his trademark Derek Dumb Face when he first saw Young Bedell. Skynet thought of him as a worthy enough target to send a Trip 8 through time for.

In a future with John or without John, it stands to reason that if Bedell was still alive, then he'd still hold a ranking position in the Resistance.

Derek: He had experience and knowledge John needed. Military prep school, then West Point. Bedell had real training. He helped John put the resistance together.
Where's your evidence for that? We do know that Lauren was moving around all over the states trying to evade Terminators.

As for Martin Bedell, we have no way of knowing how far away the academy he went to is (besides a general several hours drive), especially as he would have graduated from that are and moved on to officer school, which AFAIK know is on the other side of the USA.
Well, there is also the fact that LA is The Place when it comes to all things Terminator, Skynet and Resistance. Past battles are in LA, the future war is in LA, Skynet's creators and John Connor's family are both in LA, submarines go from Australia and LA for supply runs, everything.

Lauren and her sister are still in LA in the future. Her sister ends up being virus-bombed in a bunker in LA. Lauren ends up working as a medical officer in Serano Point, also in LA.

Come on. Why not? If you guys can speculate on Savannah Weaver the Great Military Leader (also in LA), then why not Martin Bedell and Lauren Fields? Both characters who have already been featured in the Future War scenes and who have, in the past, also interacted with Young Connor. It makes perfect sense. Your only objections are geological in nature, and those can apply to ANYTHING mangs!

Mang, Thanas.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

LA is starting to sound an awful lot like Tatooine.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:He was Derek's superior and was the commanding officer of their little group (Reese brothers and co.) and Derek regarded him highly - highly enough, at least, for him to have his trademark Derek Dumb Face when he first saw Young Bedell. Skynet thought of him as a worthy enough target to send a Trip 8 through time for.

In a future with John or without John, it stands to reason that if Bedell was still alive, then he'd still hold a ranking position in the Resistance.

Derek: He had experience and knowledge John needed. Military prep school, then West Point. Bedell had real training. He helped John put the resistance together.
Alright, that makes sense.
Well, there is also the fact that LA is The Place when it comes to all things Terminator, Skynet and Resistance. Past battles are in LA, the future war is in LA, Skynet's creators and John Connor's family are both in LA, submarines go from Australia and LA for supply runs, everything.
Actually, as the second season showed, LA is just one of the battlefields. For example, the warehouse and the HK program was all over southern california. Allison from Palmdale's future part also did not play in LA, San Diego is a more likely target for that episode. Submarines are not really an indication - we know they make some supply rounds, but we do not know how many or how important they really are. We also do not know whether the sumarines enter in LA or at any other naval base in SC.

The battle itself is global, actually.
Lauren and her sister are still in LA in the future. Her sister ends up being virus-bombed in a bunker in LA. Lauren ends up working as a medical officer in Serano Point, also in LA.
That is a fair point.
Come on. Why not? If you guys can speculate on Savannah Weaver the Great Military Leader (also in LA)
Not me.
then why not Martin Bedell and Lauren Fields? Both characters who have already been featured in the Future War scenes and who have, in the past, also interacted with Young Connor. It makes perfect sense. Your only objections are geological in nature, and those can apply to ANYTHING mangs!
Actually, without John having his resistance in place, we do not know how many humans did/did not survive.

My other objection is that there is no way this show will add another two main cast members. Lauren's character arc and Bedell's character arc are essentially done to boot. So at best there will be a few guest appearances, but I doubt the two of them will feature in them prominently.

If there was somebody I wanted to see more it would be that African-American general from S1 Dungeons and Dragons.
Mang, Thanas.
:lol: Hey, I'm just glad you are not depressed anymore about Cameron (who will be back).

Remember the S1 finale, where everybody spent speculating weeks and weeks what will happen to Cameron? The vast majority of people believed the show would take weeks before she would be back in business again. As it was, it took a stapler and one hour.
------------
------------
My LPs
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Which only serves to make a horrible cliche. We cant kill John, we wont kill Sarah but we sure can have Cameron get FUBAR ed at the end of the season and have her come back all well and good. It worked the last time so lets do it again...

Personnally, the idea of Savannah Weaver becoming an important figure in the resistance appeals to me both as a nice irony and adds better depth to the time travel. It seems reasonable that Savannah Weaver is of some importance otherwise she would'nt have a T-888 sent after her. I would love it if Savannah ended up being the one sending our blood writing guy back to guide Connor.

That said, she dosent have to be a 'great military leader' to be important. Zeiracorp seems to be financially well off tech firm and I imagine Savannah Weaver would grow up into that environment giving her access to information and advanced technology like John Henry. Would'nt be suprised if Zeiracorp is building other trinkets associated with T's like their power sources or the laser guns.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Which only serves to make a horrible cliche. We cant kill John, we wont kill Sarah but we sure can have Cameron get FUBAR ed at the end of the season and have her come back all well and good. It worked the last time so lets do it again...
Meh. As long as it is well-executed, I don't mind. After all, how many times have Sarah and John cheated death? I believe you will next complain about Derek as well?
Personnally, the idea of Savannah Weaver becoming an important figure in the resistance appeals to me both as a nice irony and adds better depth to the time travel. It seems reasonable that Savannah Weaver is of some importance otherwise she would'nt have a T-888 sent after her. I would love it if Savannah ended up being the one sending our blood writing guy back to guide Connor.
If that would come true, it would make her pretty stupid as "contact my fake mother at...." isn't at the top of her list.
------------
------------
My LPs
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thanas wrote:The battle itself is global, actually.
Nah, just in the greater California area. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^You're messing with me again, aren't you? :wink:
------------
------------
My LPs
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yeah. :D

SRSLY tho, the vast majority of the storyline in the T-verse is set in either Los Angeles or the greater California area, so it's not much of a stretch to suspect that plot-related elements will also be conveniently nearby.

Why? I don't know. Maybe concentrations of human populations and Skynet forces worldwide are concentrated in a few main places, like LA/California. Or something. Terminators, Hunter Killers, TechCom and plucky Resistance fighters spend time in LA/California cause that's where stuff happens. Whereas in, say, Bumfuck Alabama, there's nothing there for any of them to fight for.

From what I gathered from the T2 novelization, the biggest battles in America were fought in LA/California and Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado. Both being the sites of key Skynet facilities. Namely the time displacement machine in LA and Skynet's core in SG-1 the Cheyenne Mountain complex.

It's not like there are much people left anyway, so they can't be fighting everywhere. And there won't be that many machines either, with Skynet having to use junk to make its frickin time machine...

HAHA I IS SMARTS HURRR :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Yeah. :D

SRSLY tho, the vast majority of the storyline in the T-verse is set in either Los Angeles or the greater California area, so it's not much of a stretch to suspect that plot-related elements will also be conveniently nearby.

Why? I don't know. Maybe concentrations of human populations and Skynet forces worldwide are concentrated in a few main places, like LA/California. Or something. Terminators, Hunter Killers, TechCom and plucky Resistance fighters spend time in LA/California cause that's where stuff happens. Whereas in, say, Bumfuck Alabama, there's nothing there for any of them to fight for.

From what I gathered from the T2 novelization, the biggest battles in America were fought in LA/California and Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado. Both being the sites of key Skynet facilities. Namely the time displacement machine in LA and Skynet's core in SG-1 the Cheyenne Mountain complex.

It's not like there are much people left anyway, so they can't be fighting everywhere. And there won't be that many machines either, with Skynet having to use junk to make its frickin time machine...

HAHA I IS SMARTS HURRR :P
I think a lot of that is due to the fact of the movies and the series playing in LA. Which of course, is due to the reasons of the studio being there and LA being the best city when it comes to the talent pool available (this is also the reasons so many characters in Sci-fi series are the same - most of them are shot in vancouver, so you see the same actors over and over again).

I wouldn't exactly take too much of it into account because of this logistical out of universe explanation.
------------
------------
My LPs
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

If you look at some of the comics for the new movie, it's a global war. The machines are everywhere.

We know that Australia was hit from the show too.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

neoolong wrote:If you look at some of the comics for the new movie, it's a global war. The machines are everywhere.

We know that Australia was hit from the show too.

The movie, however, does not tie into the T:SCC continuity and is - when talking about the show - non-canon.
------------
------------
My LPs
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

So it is all in the greater Los Angeles area then? It may not be canon, but I think it's implied that it should be greater than LA, and I guess Australia.

It's budget and a lot of out-of-universe explanations. Or LA really is Tatooine.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

If LA is where Skynet gets built then it would make sense that most of the time-war (1984-JD) and endwar (2027/2029) action would take place there, since if you're going to destroy Skynet you've got to get close first. There was probably a lot of fighting elsewhere in the world during the earlier years of the resistance but we only ever see the stuff happening near the end of the war, with humanity on Skynet's doorstep.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Where Skynet's strongholds are would depend on where it could find the initial batch of automated production equipment. Considering how China makes so much stuff today it would not surprise me if one of Skynet's priorities was to seize as much of the factories there as possible.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

A Terminator is not something you can just build in a $2 per unit sweatshop.

And as it was proprietary USA defense technology, I very much doubt the heart of Sknyet's empire is situated somewhere in china.
------------
------------
My LPs
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Thanas wrote:A Terminator is not something you can just build in a $2 per unit sweatshop.
Not to mention the delicious strategic target a densely populated, industrialized area well-removed from its base of power a place like East and Southeast Asia would be to Skynet.

I suspect that by 2027, Skynet has made sure most of Asia is a parking lot, if only to wipe out a major chunk of the human populace and deny the humans whatever wartime manufacturing they could put together.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

A delicious new interview with Ashley Edward Miller is up. Link

Almost everything of it is worth reading, but I decided to just post the parts that made me smirk.
CA: The fans know that the show has been struggling in the ratings but the rumors that it had already been cancelled as well as the revelations in the final two episodes seem to have led to a sizeable outpouring of fan support online. What are your thoughts on the EW article [Ausiello predicting gloom and doom for the show]? Do you think that this kind of talk hurt the show's chances for renewal?

AEM: I thought it was ridiculous. There's no question that the show has been struggling, but there's also been no ambiguity about when Fox intends to decide our fate. When you realize how many times the press has declared this show dead, you start to see how silly it can all get. I remember when the report came out that the sets had been destroyed, and that this somehow meant we'd been cancelled. It took every ounce of self-control we all had not to post something on the internet... but the reality is you can't respond to a report like that without giving away the finale, or at least offering up a clue. Bad reporting can put you in an impossible position when you're trying to protect plot twists.

CA: Let's imagine that May 18 is today and Fox gives the show a third season. How much planning or talk have the show's creators already done for S3 storylines? I'm not asking you for blow spoilers for us but is there's a plan for S3? Is the creative team talking now or waiting to see what Fox does first?

AEM: Josh has always had a very strong idea of where he wants to take this show.

CA: Will Terminator Salvation affect anything that might be seen in S3?

AEM: Josh has always had a very strong idea of where he wants to take this show.

CA: OK, how about this. Has the T:TSCC team been aware of what is revealed in Salvation or are you going in blind like most of us?

AEM: Some of us are somewhat aware, although the things we think we know are always subject to change. So I'm about as informed as your average reporter for aintitcool. One funny thing, though... apparently, Skynet in T4 processes coltan to create the endoskeleton alloy. I'm given to understand the producers thought this came from the other movies, but it's not true. Our show originated the use of coltan as an evolutionary step for Terminator design. Higher melting point, so you can't just toss Uncle Bob in the steel and expect him to evaporate. Take THAT, continuity mavens.
------------
------------
My LPs
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ Thanks for posting that! Good read.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, first of all, there is a new audio interview with BAG. Listen to it here.

As we all know, Lanie Grace is a big fat liar. Time for her hatchet job on the guy who debunked her idiocies - Link.
------------
------------
My LPs
squidman001
Padawan Learner

Post by squidman001 »

BAG says in the podcast that what happens in the Basement in, I think it was Dungeons and Dragons, is revealed in a conversation in one of the final episodes of the second season... but I never caught anything obvious. I'd have to watch them again somehow.
"Generally I find that killing mice is easier if you use your mind." Ford Prefect

"It's like a camel pissed on raspberries and then they bottled it."
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

squidman001 wrote:BAG says in the podcast that what happens in the Basement in, I think it was Dungeons and Dragons, is revealed in a conversation in one of the final episodes of the second season... but I never caught anything obvious. I'd have to watch them again somehow.
I'm pretty sure that was Cameron's chat with Derek about him breaking under torture.

Which actually makes a disturbing amount of sense; if they broke Derek in the basement, and that resulted in him giving up the hideout's location, it would explain how the machines found and destroyed it.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca