nBSG ep 4.16: "Deadlock" Talkback (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate This Episode

Poll ended at 2009-02-27 09:44pm

21%
22%
31%
22%
3%

Total votes: 58

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: nBSG ep 4.16: "Deadlock" Talkback (SPOILERS)

Post by Ford Prefect »

tim31 wrote:Re: Tyrol, while I agree it was out of character, I would accept the explanation that Tory had been screwing around with his mind, the poison-tongued harlot.
The problem here is that I couldn't believe that she had any effect. Tyrol was like stone when dealing with her early in season four.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Vympel wrote:If she really had, then the wreckage of her Viper Mk II - never mind her dessicated corpose, with blonde hair still under the helmet, would be long gone by the time the Fleet arrived. 2,000 years would leave next to nothing behind, AFAIK.
Just like the planet should no longer be irradiated? I have a bad feeling about the end of the series. I fear we're going to get several SoD-breakers, like humanity originating on Kobol.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Galvatron wrote:I fear we're going to get several SoD-breakers, like humanity originating on Kobol.
Err, isn't this a given? It seemed fairly clear to me that humanity originated on Kobol back in season one and two. It would actually break my suspension of disbelief if BSG humans did originate on Earth.
What is Project Zohar?

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote: Just like the planet should no longer be irradiated? I have a bad feeling about the end of the series. I fear we're going to get several SoD-breakers, like humanity originating on Kobol.
That's hardly the same thing. Kobol has been the origin of humanity ever since the start of the series. Earth is the 13th colonly - these are basic precepts of the show's universe, how does it break SoD?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Oh, and listen to RDM's podcast for this episode. The known mutineers who didn't change sides back to Admiral Adama (e.g. Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, etc) have been sent to the Astral Queen (Zarek's old prison ship). Looks like those characters are gone from the show, unless we revisit them in the finale for some reason.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Kobol/Earth issue was discussed at length in the last BSG thread.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... &start=200
Vympel wrote:Kobol has been the origin of humanity ever since the start of the series. Earth is the 13th colonly - these are basic precepts of the show's universe, how does it break SoD?
It breaks SoD if it's scientifically retarded. It's one of those aspects of the original series that should have been discarded or modified.
Last edited by Galvatron on 2009-02-24 08:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Vympel wrote:Oh, and listen to RDM's podcast for this episode. The known mutineers who didn't change sides back to Admiral Adama (e.g. Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, etc) have been sent to the Astral Queen (Zarek's old prison ship). Looks like those characters are gone from the show, unless we revisit them in the finale for some reason.
I haven't caught up with the podcasts and like to listen to them in order, so did he say if any of this is seen in deleted scenes?
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Galvatron wrote:The Kobol/Earth issue was discussed at length in the last BSG thread.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... &start=200
Vympel wrote:Kobol has been the origin of humanity ever since the start of the series. Earth is the 13th colonly - these are basic precepts of the show's universe, how does it break SoD?
It breaks SoD if it's scientifically retarded. It's one of those aspects of the original series that should have been discarded or modified.
Aren't FTL and artificial gravity pretty much "scientifically retarded"? What about Cylons who can connect to fiber optic cables yet are physically indistinguishable from humans, or can transmit their memories and mental states faster than light? Of all the absurdities in the series, picking on that one seems silly. It's set in a different universe with a different history than our own, where "our" earth doesn't exist.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Vympel at this stage I'm hedging my bets as to whether anything will make sense. That is why I may be given to fanciful crackpot theories from this point on in.
Vympel wrote:Oh, and listen to RDM's podcast for this episode. The known mutineers who didn't change sides back to Admiral Adama (e.g. Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, etc) have been sent to the Astral Queen (Zarek's old prison ship). Looks like those characters are gone from the show, unless we revisit them in the finale for some reason.
Fuck you, Ron. If the coup took ten webisodes to set up and two episodes to develop, could you have spared five seconds to have that line dropped in? I'd been wondering until now.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I'm thinking the same thing as Vympel that maybe they'll come up later.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Johonebesus wrote:It's set in a different universe with a different history than our own, where "our" earth doesn't exist.
Then why feature Earth at all? nBSG might as well take place in the GFFA if "our" Earth isn't in it.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

tim31 wrote:Vympel at this stage I'm hedging my bets as to whether anything will make sense. That is why I may be given to fanciful crackpot theories from this point on in.
Fuck you, Ron. If the coup took ten webisodes to set up and two episodes to develop, could you have spared five seconds to have that line dropped in? I'd been wondering until now.
Hopefully, they will play an part in the coming episodes. I don't have access to the podcast right now...does he just toss the line off, i.e. "they're out of the show?" Cause if I were one of the actors involved I'd be pissed. Skulls is pretty much a non-character but Racetrack and Seelix are reasonably prominent. Seelix even got a whole subplot once.

I will say that I'm always surprised at some of the random characters the producers prove not to have forgotten...I certainly didn't expect to see Enzo again, and I'm surprised Charlie Connors has lasted as long as he has. I also never saw the return of Kelly and Narcho to prominent roles, but they were central to the action of the mutiny.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

tim31 wrote:Fuck you, Ron. If the coup took ten webisodes to set up and two episodes to develop, could you have spared five seconds to have that line dropped in? I'd been wondering until now.
It's more like Jane Espenson needed even more screentime of Adama staring at blonde chicks painting goop over the Galactica's new set.
What is Project Zohar?

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why? In BSG, humans evolved on Kobol, not Earth. Period. Reality has nothing to do with BSG's Earth - the evidence that we evolved here does not exist in BSG. It's not a big deal.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Aaron Douglas on his character's vote to leave:-
In many ways I agree with all of you. I am still totally convinced that Tyrol would leave but I do have my own reasons why he would...

Tyrols judgement is clouded and we can see that by the fact that he ignores the pleas of Anders to stay with the ship.

All will be revealed, have patience my young apprentices....

Jane Espenson is one of the finest writers I have ever met. She was not just a writer of singular episodes but she is a true force in the breaking of stories, the shaping of each script, the development of characters and is always makes herself available for questions and discussions. Let's not forget that it was Jane who wrote the incredible episode where Adama busts the Chief down to private, one of my favorite scenes of the entire show.

Last nights episode was more of the 'information' ep like the last one. The remaining few eps will really inform this episode.

Have patience....

AD
I'm satisfied for now.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ford Prefect wrote:
tim31 wrote:Fuck you, Ron. If the coup took ten webisodes to set up and two episodes to develop, could you have spared five seconds to have that line dropped in? I'd been wondering until now.
It's more like Jane Espenson needed even more screentime of Adama staring at blonde chicks painting goop over the Galactica's new set.
Chalk that up for me too. I'm getting bored with all the defenses of the shitty writing, directing and editing that come down to: "well it was on the webisodes/podcast/this interview/whatever".

Guess what? I watch the show. Like I'm sure 95% of the rest of the audience do. I am not privy to all this additional shit. And then you wonder why I get pissed off with hanging plot threads and the like?

Just because they say it in an interview doesn't fix the fact that they failed to do it IN THE FUCKING TV SERIES.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Isn't that something that could have been dealt with in the editing room? Knowing Galactica, I'm sure there were a few cut scenes that could have been added in favor of those.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

tim31 wrote:Vympel at this stage I'm hedging my bets as to whether anything will make sense. That is why I may be given to fanciful crackpot theories from this point on in.
I really fucking hate the fact that you have to keep up with his fucking podcasts to keep a handle on this show.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Knowing the fates of a handful of minor mutineers who don't matter a single iota to the main plot is not by any means "keeping a handle on the show". It's just an interesting tidbit.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

weemadando wrote: Chalk that up for me too. I'm getting bored with all the defenses of the shitty writing, directing and editing that come down to: "well it was on the webisodes/podcast/this interview/whatever".
How are those offered up as defenses? It's still a weak episode. We've got Aaron Douglas saying that subsequent episodes will inform how Tyrol acted in this episode. Fair enough, see how that plays out.
Just because they say it in an interview doesn't fix the fact that they failed to do it IN THE FUCKING TV SERIES.
Is finding out what happened to Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, Narcho and the other minor background characters really that important to you? They're gone. Who cares?
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

Vympel wrote:Is finding out what happened to Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, Narcho and the other minor background characters really that important to you? They're gone. Who cares?
I can't say that I really "care" per se about Racetrack et al, but it would have been nice to have that mentioned in the ep for no other reason than to give more information/closure post mutiny. I personally did wander what happened to the mutineers and all that, and unless you posted that podcast bit of info I wouldn't have known, at least not at this point. Perhaps it's mentioned in the next episode.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Vympel wrote: Is finding out what happened to Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, Narcho and the other minor background characters really that important to you? They're gone. Who cares?
I was left wondering whether they were to be executed as the ringleaders had been. Seeing as Racetrack and Seelix have been a part of the show since the end of S1, I had thought at least a mention of fate would seal the deal.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

tim31 wrote:
Vympel wrote: Is finding out what happened to Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, Narcho and the other minor background characters really that important to you? They're gone. Who cares?
I was left wondering whether they were to be executed as the ringleaders had been. Seeing as Racetrack and Seelix have been a part of the show since the end of S1, I had thought at least a mention of fate would seal the deal.
It would have been impractical to execute all of the mutineers given the fleet's ever dwindling population. Killing the leaders and shipping the rest of the prominent ones off to the Astral Queen seems to have been the best way of doing it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Vympel wrote:
weemadando wrote: Chalk that up for me too. I'm getting bored with all the defenses of the shitty writing, directing and editing that come down to: "well it was on the webisodes/podcast/this interview/whatever".
How are those offered up as defenses? It's still a weak episode. We've got Aaron Douglas saying that subsequent episodes will inform how Tyrol acted in this episode. Fair enough, see how that plays out.
Is finding out what happened to Racetrack, Seelix, Skulls, Narcho and the other minor background characters really that important to you? They're gone. Who cares?
It's not just been that (I in fact didn't give a shit about the fate of the mutineers, it was just another example of what I'm getting sick of in nBSG)- for pretty much every episode in s4.5 someone's had to ask "what the hell is going on with X". And the response has almost always come from the podcast or interviews.

If it is that important, then why not have it in the show?
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Because it's not that important?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy