Sci-fi's most ineffectively used technologies...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Sci-fi's most ineffectively used technologies...

Post by Batman »

I noticed. I IGNORED that since canonically the Borg either refuse to or are incapable of adapting to KE/Momentum weapons so what particular kind of projectile would be best suited to defeating the completely hypothetical Borg particle shield was of little interest to me.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I've been wondering, could you use Stargate's stargate technology to make some kind of super-carrier? I mean, have a centralized location with your fighter craft linked by gates to a ship? That way a carrier could devote much more space to power generation and defenses, then just crank open the stargates when it was time to fight.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Crom wrote:I've been wondering, could you use Stargate's stargate technology to make some kind of super-carrier? I mean, have a centralized location with your fighter craft linked by gates to a ship? That way a carrier could devote much more space to power generation and defenses, then just crank open the stargates when it was time to fight.
And then we get into "why starfighters are a bad idea". The Gould do have stargates aboard some of their ships- it makes resupply much easier. Not to mention that it makes missile spamming in space practical.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

What about missles, though? With a supergate like the ones on an ori ship you could send a ton of missles through at once against a rather large area of space (well, using tv-movie engagement ranges)
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

Shadowtraveler wrote:What about missles, though? With a supergate like the ones on an ori ship you could send a ton of missles through at once against a rather large area of space (well, using tv-movie engagement ranges)
Ori ships don't have gates, and supergates took the power of a black hole to even power up.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

All of this is pointless, since stargates cannot be dialed when in deep space. Entire episodes used this as a plot device: you can only dial to a ship which is sitting on a planetary surface or in orbit.

And stargates were used as weapon platforms before. SGC can fire all sorts of missiles through them (of course, only when demanded by the script. Other times it's completely forgotten :P)

Furthermore, stargates are very, very rare items which cannot be replaced. Putting them on combat ships not only makes them useless, but risks losing them if you're facing a foe capable of actually hurting you.

As for underutilized tech in Stargate, I'd say SGC underutilizes the weaponry it has available. Hey, let's carry guns which are utterly ineffective against Jaffa armor except at very short ranges!

How many seasons it took for them to switch to the P90 again?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Stargates most definitely CAN be dialed in deep space, as per SGA's Milky Way-Pegasus 'bridge' (and I think it was done once or twice in SG-1 too).
Three seasons, and the MP-5s ability to defeat Jaffa armour (or not) seemed to be plot dependent more than range or anything else. :)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

One of very underused technologies in Stargate is their hyperdrive which apparently allows ship to jump anywhere even inside atmosphere. If enemy do not have hyperspace sensors hyperdrive can be used to mount devastating surprise attacks, just jump in point blank range with weapons blazing or launch a nuclear missile spam and jump back before any defense forces can react or alternatively build hyper capable missiles with multi gigaton warheads. Even in the last episode with super Hiveship Daedalus could have jumped point blank immediately fired Asgard beam weapons at sensitive places while unloading it`s nuclear missile silos and jumped back. That way it could have inflicted much more damage than just firing one shot and then waiting to be nearly blown up.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Sky Captain wrote:One of very underused technologies in Stargate is their hyperdrive which apparently allows ship to jump anywhere even inside atmosphere.
And you're sure that they can survive impacting the lower atmosphere at the speeds ships typically come out of hyperspace? We've seen them jump out, I don't recall them ever jumping into an atmosphere.
If enemy do not have hyperspace sensors
Even the Tok'ra have those. And they're portable, automated modules the size of a briefcase.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook wrote:As for underutilized tech in Stargate, I'd say SGC underutilizes the weaponry it has available. Hey, let's carry guns which are utterly ineffective against Jaffa armor except at very short ranges!
Didn't their Marine detachments carry substantially heavier firepower? M16s and M4s, and SAWs and Claymores and LAWs?
How many seasons it took for them to switch to the P90 again?
That's just SG-1. They've always been light reconnaissance and stuff, rather than heavy up-front fighting.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

NecronLord wrote:
Sky Captain wrote:One of very underused technologies in Stargate is their hyperdrive which apparently allows ship to jump anywhere even inside atmosphere.
And you're sure that they can survive impacting the lower atmosphere at the speeds ships typically come out of hyperspace? We've seen them jump out, I don't recall them ever jumping into an atmosphere.
If enemy do not have hyperspace sensors
Even the Tok'ra have those. And they're portable, automated modules the size of a briefcase.
In Atlantis episode The Lost Tribe where rogue Asgard kidnapped McKay and Jackson small Asgard ship jumped out of hyperspace just few dozen meters above ocean in close proximity to Atlantis so this kind of stunt should be possible.

Even if you know attack is incoming you would still need to know exact emergence point to successfully ambush the attackers. I don`t know if their hyperspace sensors are that good to tell precise emergence point. Against Wraith this tactic should work because it seems Wraith lack hyperspace sensors.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:[
Didn't their Marine detachments carry substantially heavier firepower? M16s and M4s, and SAWs and Claymores and LAWs?
Yeah, I think so. Incidentally, in the first episode, all teams carried one SAW, rifles and they took at least one Stinger to Chulak which they used to take out one very surprised Jaffa pilot :)

Then they turn around and start going to various potentially Jaffa-infested planets with two MP5s per team :P
That's just SG-1. They've always been light reconnaissance and stuff, rather than heavy up-front fighting.
They've always been light reconeissance which had a very high chance of encountering Jaffa. The first thing they should've done is determine which weapons work best against the armor worn by their most likely enemies :)

They've nearly been killed more than once because of utter wimpiness of their MP5s.

Thought to be honest, as Batman noted, they can sometimes mow down Jaffa en masse (like in the first episode, where two SG teams slaughtered dozens) and sometimes not kill a single one (like the raid on Abydos in the same episode). I explain this by saying that Apophis simply has personal guards with better quality armor with him at all times. This does not explain how Carter could kill several of Klorel's Serpent Guards with the same wimpy MP5 which had trouble blasting rank-and-file Jaffa, though.

Shit, I can quote episode names. I've become a nerd :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Stargate is awesome.

Klorel... well, his daddy just gave him his retired geezer ex-First Prime. Maybe the rest of his troopers were also meh in quality.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Humm. I'd forgotten that.
Sky Captain wrote:Against Wraith this tactic should work because it seems Wraith lack hyperspace sensors.
Not necesserily. The writers seem to have forgotten that hyperspace sensors exist. The Asurans didn't seem to have them, despite being able to build whole ancient city ships and similar. And hell, in the example you quoted, Atlantis' previously-seen sensors didn't do anything either.

I'd say it's much more likely that the writers have forgotten this capability exists (and has repeatedly served as a major plot point) than that various races are deliberately meant to lack them.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

PeZook wrote:like in the first episode, where two SG teams slaughtered dozens
A fair chunk of those dozens weren't actually wearing the full armour. It's likely that they were just called out of the barracks wearing their off-duty stuff. Or were second line troops.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

NecronLord wrote:Humm. I'd forgotten that.
Sky Captain wrote:Against Wraith this tactic should work because it seems Wraith lack hyperspace sensors.
Not necesserily. The writers seem to have forgotten that hyperspace sensors exist. The Asurans didn't seem to have them, despite being able to build whole ancient city ships and similar. And hell, in the example you quoted, Atlantis' previously-seen sensors didn't do anything either.

I'd say it's much more likely that the writers have forgotten this capability exists (and has repeatedly served as a major plot point) than that various races are deliberately meant to lack them.
Ah I just remembered in one of Atlantis episodes (don`t remember exact name, First Strike maybe) Atlantis team used one of their Daedalus class ships to jump out just above Asuran planet`s atmosphere, launched missile containing several nuclear warheads against surface targets and jumped back to hyperspace.

Also in one of their alternate timeline episodes they used their Wraith ship tracking device to ambush Hiveships by jumping out in close proximity with guns blazing.

So it looks like writers are aware of tactical capabilities the hyperdrive gives, but they only use it when it suits the plot and forget about it all other times.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Other than a couple of very early episodes, I can't remember any examples of Jaffa Armour withstanding MP5 fire.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Sky Captain wrote:Ah I just remembered in one of Atlantis episodes (don`t remember exact name, First Strike maybe) Atlantis team used one of their Daedalus class ships to jump out just above Asuran planet`s atmosphere, launched missile containing several nuclear warheads against surface targets and jumped back to hyperspace.

Also in one of their alternate timeline episodes they used their Wraith ship tracking device to ambush Hiveships by jumping out in close proximity with guns blazing.

So it looks like writers are aware of tactical capabilities the hyperdrive gives, but they only use it when it suits the plot and forget about it all other times.
They handwave it according to plot. Consequently, Atlantis can see wraith ships when they're weeks away, but Asuras can't see jack shit, for some reason.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Crazedwraith wrote:Other than a couple of very early episodes, I can't remember any examples of Jaffa Armour withstanding MP5 fire.
Well, I can recall offhand how in "There but for the grace of God", the Jaffa pretty much waltzed into the SGC through massed MP5 fire (Why the humies didn't set up a heavy machine gun in the chokepoint eludes me...). Two episodes later, Carter massacres Serpent Guards with her MP5 :)