Macross F (Frontier) information and preview video.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

VF5SS wrote:You're not saying Macross Frontier is gay just because Bobby wears a pink scarf, gets along really well with the girls, and is a fantastic makeup artist are you? Nothing is more manly than that.
No, I'm saying it's gay because the way things are developing, MF will undoubtably produce a ton of doujinshi depicting Alto being violated by most of the cast, male or female. Which I may or may not read.

Although Bobby makes me think someone took a look at Gurren Lagann's Leeron and said "I'll design that character, but better". :P
Hell, nothing is more manly than Alto's father who is some kind of Kabuki king. Holy hell was that man's stare is like a death grip.
That was a frightening weapon, indeed! Before the subs are out, I'd like to know the significance of Alto's pose after one of his manouvers, it's in the shape of that mental image his father sent him (or a regressed memory). Is it some kind of kabuki-related stance?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

VT-16 wrote: Although Bobby makes me think someone took a look at Gurren Lagann's Leeron and said "I'll design that character, but better". :P
Also hairier. Possibly also slightly less camp than Leeron, who did somewhat resemble an explosion in a tent factory.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Well today's episode is all about Alto and Sheryl running around the Frontier while Michel and Ranka sorta chase after them. Probably the most interesting thing we see is that Island 3 (one of many pill shaped colonies that trail behind the Frontier) is where full sized Zentradi have their own little town. Klan Klein appears to live there. They also have giant hippopotamus cow hybrids. Also Leon reveals just what happened to that Varja Ozma shanked in the second episode. There's a computer screen that reveals a few facts about the big Varja, I will try to translate the Engrish.

They have the same kind of energy converting armor as a Valkyrie.
They can fold on their own.
They are constantly producing missiles?
Their brains are too small to control them?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

That last one might explain the apparent masochism seen at the end of Ep 1, if they're somewhat child-like.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

We also get a glimpse of the SMS Flagship in the preview for the next episode. It appears to be a customized New Macross class vessel.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

I think that's the actual Macross-class vessel we see in the OP, as opposed to Battle-25. I just took a good look at the broadcast version of Episode 1, and just prior to the OP, it swings past what looks to be a normal New Macross ship attached to the colony ship.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Man, Battle-25 and the SMS ship fighting back to back buddy cop style? That would be awesome.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

By christ, Shinsei sure made a packet of money on Thunderbolts and Excaliburs if they can build capital warships as mobile installations!!

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I try not to think about the economics of Macross. However, the textile industry must have gotten a real boost from the need for giant clothing.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

What's the new fighter that appears ...

reporting that the Macross Galaxy is under attack?
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Sorry dude, I'm used to the pick-a-part sessions of nBSG review threads.

Dammit, I got episode five and it's unsubbed. Should have paid more attention in school :(

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

tim31 wrote:By christ, Shinsei sure made a packet of money on Thunderbolts and Excaliburs if they can build capital warships as mobile installations!!
At the rate mook fighters get blown up in Macross, it's to be expected...
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

So the June issue of Newtype had a huge section of art from Macross Frontier. We get to see better pictures of the the Ghost from the first episode. In fact, Luka's RVF-25 can command his own squad of Ghost fighters. Also the Destroid Works, which is a civilian version of the Destroid Cheyenne from Macross Zero. Probably the most significant thing is that the name of the VF-25 has been revealed, and it's a very Messiah.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

VF5SS wrote:So the June issue of Newtype had a huge section of art from Macross Frontier. We get to see better pictures of the the Ghost from the first episode. In fact, Luka's RVF-25 can command his own squad of Ghost fighters. Also the Destroid Works, which is a civilian version of the Destroid Cheyenne from Macross Zero. Probably the most significant thing is that the name of the VF-25 has been revealed, and it's a very Messiah.
Very Messiah? What the hell does that mean?
Image[
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Xess wrote:Very Messiah? What the hell does that mean?
"He's a very messiah" was a line in "Little White Dragon," one of the songs in the original Macross.
VF5SS wrote:So the June issue of Newtype had a huge section of art from Macross Frontier. We get to see better pictures of the the Ghost from the first episode. In fact, Luka's RVF-25 can command his own squad of Ghost fighters. Also the Destroid Works, which is a civilian version of the Destroid Cheyenne from Macross Zero. Probably the most significant thing is that the name of the VF-25 has been revealed, and it's a very Messiah.
Can you read Japanese? 'cause, uh, that page is a bunch of gibberish accompanied by some mecha pictures as far as I'm concerned. ;) You care to translate?
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

McC wrote:
Xess wrote:Very Messiah? What the hell does that mean?
"He's a very messiah" was a line in "Little White Dragon," one of the songs in the original Macross.
Right, I remember that now. Still don't get the context of it in VF5SS' post though but I imagine it will become clear in time.
Image[
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Xess wrote:Right, I remember that now. Still don't get the context of it in VF5SS' post though but I imagine it will become clear in time.
Poor man's edit: I guess it means it's the VF-25 Dragon now that I think about it for a second. Or it's called Shao Pai Lon or something.
Image[
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

People are working on translating the text on Macrossworld. My Japanese is pretty limited. I only had two years of it in high school haha. Now by very Messiah, I mean that the VF-25's full name is VF-25 Messiah.

So let's go through the list of major Variable fighters. And by major, I mean anything with that has a name and has been in at least one game lol

VF-0 Phoenix
VF-1 Valkyrie
VF-4 Lighting
VF-9 Cutlass
VF-11 Thunderbolt
VF-17 Nightmare
VF-19 Excalibur
VF-22 Strumvogel
VF-3000 Crusader
VF-5000 Star Mirage
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

There was also the VA-3 Invader. Depends on how strictly you interpret "fighter".

And the VF-14 Vampire, which didn't appear in "main" canon, but was the template used for the fighters flown by Varauta forces. (It's in Macross M3 though)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Oh, and this, which I don't recognise. Not seen one with the four canard setup before.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I'm pretty sure that one is non-variable. Probably just a scout. Some people are being dumb and saying it's the VF-2SS from Macross 2.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I expect we'll find out soon enough. All we know at the moment is it's from Macross Galaxy.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

VF5SS wrote:I'm pretty sure that one is non-variable. Probably just a scout. Some people are being dumb and saying it's the VF-2SS from Macross 2.
Ah jeez, they'll be harping on about the damn Metal Siren next.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Vendetta wrote:There was also the VA-3 Invader. Depends on how strictly you interpret "fighter".

And the VF-14 Vampire, which didn't appear in "main" canon, but was the template used for the fighters flown by Varauta forces. (It's in Macross M3 though)
Actually, this version appeared in one of the Macross 7 P*L*U*S episodes. There's been some confusion as to whether or not this thing was meant to be a finalized design or was just a rough concept including out of haste, much like the scenes of the VF-11's leg weapon bays.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

YES

They brought back the Monster (in batroid form). That was my favorite destroid from the original show.

What's up with the VB-6, anyway, such as how does its name (kenihhi-monster) render into English from Katakana?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"