Macross F (Frontier) information and preview video.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

That was interesting. Homages to the previous shows, plenty of new technology and systems, a tasteful amount of fanservice, and a pretty good cliffhanger. I like the ejection system seen in the VF-25; it's craaaaazy.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

And now for your viewing pleasure, Ranka Lee doing the Nyan Nyan dance.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

A lot of nice little homage touches...intentional or not, I don't know.

- The academy looks pretty much exactly like SDF-1 Macross, complete with a VF-1 statue on top
- The three students have the same personal colours as the original Skull Team, red for Alto, blue and green for the other two guys
- The singer's last name is Nome. I'd bet my last penny they're going to link that with the two Nomes (Sarah and Mao) from Mac Zero.

Still...where are my mass produced VF-19s!? Also, what is it with anime and "worthless pathetic central government"? NUNS got their asses handed to them on a plate, their pilots seem to be green, yet the equivalent of Blackwater, SMS, sports newer VFs and more experienced pilots? WTF?

I agree with ZShade, that ejection system is crazy, and that big fuckoff rifle is just awesome. Holdout pistols? PFFT, that's so 20th century.
I know there is a method, but all I see is the madness.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Dendrobius wrote: - The three students have the same personal colours as the original Skull Team, red for Alto, blue and green for the other two guys.
Kakizaki's colour scheme was yellow.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Dendrobius wrote:A lot of nice little homage touches...intentional or not, I don't know.

- The academy looks pretty much exactly like SDF-1 Macross, complete with a VF-1 statue on top
- The three students have the same personal colours as the original Skull Team, red for Alto, blue and green for the other two guys
- The singer's last name is Nome. I'd bet my last penny they're going to link that with the two Nomes (Sarah and Mao) from Mac Zero.

Still...where are my mass produced VF-19s!? Also, what is it with anime and "worthless pathetic central government"? NUNS got their asses handed to them on a plate, their pilots seem to be green, yet the equivalent of Blackwater, SMS, sports newer VFs and more experienced pilots? WTF?

I agree with ZShade, that ejection system is crazy, and that big fuckoff rifle is just awesome. Holdout pistols? PFFT, that's so 20th century.
MacrossVerse has a real issue with communicating FTL distances I thought. Which explained why a lot of colonies had a mismash of equipment, from different manufacturers or Eras or whatnot. Like the VF-2000's instead of VF-11s in that HORRIBLE Dynamite 7 OVA.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Those were VF-5000s and Macross Dynamite 7 was cool.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Ford Prefect wrote:Kakizaki's colour scheme was yellow.
Roy was yellow. Kakizaki was brown in TV, green-stripe in DYRL.
Dendrobius wrote: Still...where are my mass produced VF-19s!? Also, what is it with anime and "worthless pathetic central government"? NUNS got their asses handed to them on a plate, their pilots seem to be green, yet the equivalent of Blackwater, SMS, sports newer VFs and more experienced pilots? WTF?
I'm thinking that the colony fleets are spending the bare minimum on their armed forces, letting their elite forces pick up the slack. Macross 7 had it's hordes of super-worthless VF-11Cs and Diamond Force to pick up the slack, while the Frontier fleet has VF-171s getting slaughtered while SMS (who presumably spends much more money on training and equipment) goes out to be awesome.

Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

Nephtys wrote:MacrossVerse has a real issue with communicating FTL distances I thought. Which explained why a lot of colonies had a mismash of equipment, from different manufacturers or Eras or whatnot. Like the VF-2000's instead of VF-11s in that HORRIBLE Dynamite 7 OVA.
Not to my knowledge, but I could be wrong. Some other factors for consideration:

- Frontier is set in 2059, Project Super Nova was initiated in 2040. That's 19 years!
- We also see that the Ghost X-9 has been adapted by NUNS as a recon drone with no AI, so obviously info from Project Super Nova's come through to the Frontier fleet.
- Maybe cost? Doesn't make sense, since the VF-17 was a spec ops type fighter in 2040 (ie Mac Plus/Mac 7 era) and was expensive enough that they only equipped Diamond Force with the 17s and everybody else had 11s...
ZShade wrote:Roy was yellow. Kakizaki was brown in TV, green-stripe in DYRL.
Thank you, and also notice who pilots the yellow VF-25? The most experienced SMS pilot, and IIRC Alto's older brother? Homages ahoy!
ZShade wrote:I'm thinking that the colony fleets are spending the bare minimum on their armed forces, letting their elite forces pick up the slack. Macross 7 had it's hordes of super-worthless VF-11Cs and Diamond Force to pick up the slack, while the Frontier fleet has VF-171s getting slaughtered while SMS (who presumably spends much more money on training and equipment) goes out to be awesome.
Diamond Force was UN Spacy. SMS is not part of the New UN Spacy, it's a civilian organisation. That's why I'm :roll: about this aspect of Frontier. It's just hopping onto the "well funded private army" anime bandwagon which I hate with a passion.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

ZShade wrote:Roy was yellow. Kakizaki was brown in TV, green-stripe in DYRL.
Kakizaki's colour was most certainly not brown. I have the perfect collection sitting by side right now. His uniform is coloured yellow, and while Roy's Valk has some yellow on it, his primary colour was black. I mean, look at his flight suit. Not yellow!

However, I can't disagree that Kakizaki's Valk was brown stripe (or green stripe in DYRL), Roy's colour scheme was most certainly not yellow.
What is Project Zohar?

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Pffft, Macross. :rolleyes:

Waiting on the Robotech movie instead.
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

Ford Prefect wrote:Kakizaki's colour was most certainly not brown. I have the perfect collection sitting by side right now. His uniform is coloured yellow, and while Roy's Valk has some yellow on it, his primary colour was black. I mean, look at his flight suit. Not yellow!

However, I can't disagree that Kakizaki's Valk was brown stripe (or green stripe in DYRL), Roy's colour scheme was most certainly not yellow.
I'm referring to their Valkyrie's colour stripe and the flight suit helmet colour as seen in DYRL and not as seen on the TV series.

Roy = yellow stripe on Valk, yellow highlight on helmet, Hikaru = red, Max = blue, Kakizaki = green.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

DYRL isn't real though. The series was the "real events", and in it, Kakizaki's VF-1 was basically beige.
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Dendrobius wrote: - Maybe cost? Doesn't make sense, since the VF-17 was a spec ops type fighter in 2040 (ie Mac Plus/Mac 7 era) and was expensive enough that they only equipped Diamond Force with the 17s and everybody else had 11s...
Except we don't know anything about the VF-171 aside from it being a VF-17 variant. For all we know, General Galaxy eventually designed a cheap, mass produced version of the Nightmare to compete against the VF-19F/S, and Frontier chose that to replace their VF-11Cs.
Dendrobius wrote:Thank you, and also notice who pilots the yellow VF-25? The most experienced SMS pilot, and IIRC Alto's older brother? Homages ahoy!
Ozma is actually Ranka's older brother, I believe. I could certainly see him becoming Alto's sempai, though.
Dendrobius wrote:Diamond Force was UN Spacy. SMS is not part of the New UN Spacy, it's a civilian organisation. That's why I'm :roll: about this aspect of Frontier. It's just hopping onto the "well funded private army" anime bandwagon which I hate with a passion.
I can't argue that it's rather silly, I'm just saying it fits the theme from Macross 7.

And it's still better than the end of Macross Zero.

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Vendetta wrote:DYRL isn't real though. The series was the "real events", and in it, Kakizaki's VF-1 was basically beige.
Mostly white, actually.

Shoji Kawamori actually said something quite slick regard DYRL and the TV series. Basically one is, "the way I'd do it for a TV series" and the movie is now, "the way I'd do it for a movie." The "true" story is whatever Shoji Kawamori wants to present based on what has come out already. That way we can all love DYRL and the TV series equally. L O V E HAPPY RANKA!
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I thought the usual explanation was that DYRL was an in-universe movie based on the events of Space War 1, and the series was "what happened". (though I did think that DYRL was a bit too compressed to effectively tell the story, so I'm largely choosing to discount it's existence unless necessary)
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

There is a DYRL movie within Macross. Miho and Sally talk about it in Macross 7 and later on Mylene and Basara are involved in a local production of the movie. Here's Kawamori's stance on the original story as a whole.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

I like the story as depicted in the TV series better, because as Vendetta said, DYRL was just way too compressed. However, the finer side of mechanical design, DYRL had the TV series beat, especially the flight suits. The DYRL flightsuit design has pretty much been used as a base for every single Macross series since.

At least the difference between DYRL and the TV series isn't quite as bad as say the Zeta Gundam TV series and the trilogy Zeta movies where they've managed to write out the entire reason why ZZ started in the first place. Doesn't matter which one is "true", Plus/7/Frontier are not affected at all.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Dendrobius wrote:
Diamond Force was UN Spacy. SMS is not part of the New UN Spacy, it's a civilian organisation. That's why I'm :roll: about this aspect of Frontier. It's just hopping onto the "well funded private army" anime bandwagon which I hate with a passion.

They seemed to be on the ins with the President of the Macross Frontier civilian government though, so there might have been shenanigans.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, I note that someone has finally realised that Destroids are silly and reinvented the tank.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Vendetta wrote:Also, I note that someone has finally realised that Destroids are silly and reinvented the tank.
Oh come on, you have to admit that the Destroid Monster was totally awesome - they were so massive that they destroyed the Daedelus' deckplates when walking. :D
What is Project Zohar?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Haha. It's always been a bit daft to include a bunch of clumsy robots when they also have super awesome cool robots that can do anything.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Also, I note that someone has finally realised that Destroids are silly and reinvented the tank.
Oh come on, you have to admit that the Destroid Monster was totally awesome - they were so massive that they destroyed the Daedelus' deckplates when walking. :D
Yeah, but that was all they ever did destroy, because they couldn't hit shit. Ever.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Vendetta wrote:
Yeah, but that was all they ever did destroy, because they couldn't hit shit. Ever.
Not true, a Monster kills a Golg Gants Charts in DYRL and that prototype Monster from Macross Zero scores some hits on AFOS. Also Macross Zero is proof that Daedalus was built by the lowest bidder because the Asuka II had no troubles with a Monster walking on it.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

VF5SS wrote: Not true, a Monster kills a Golg Gants Charts in DYRL and that prototype Monster from Macross Zero scores some hits on AFOS.
Yeah, but in Zero they used nuclear tipped shells, which is kinda cheating.

Otherwise, they pretty much had to stick the Daedalus inside the enemy ships to get any destroids to hit anything, rather than jobbing to the Valkyries.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Well. As for the Monsters, what did the secondary batteries of the Macross herself ever do? :P I think bagging a Zentraedi corvette is more than they can brag about. The Destroids were basically just extra guns bolted on.

Actually I had one big issue about DYRL. Why is it a 'Historical' movie, and yet completely changes what/who the Zentraedi are? Seperated into Meltrans? What? That's like the definitive World War 2 movie coming out in the 1980s, where the Nazis were really a race of aliens from Mars.