Gundam 00: The Stupid, It Burns

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Is 'Gundam 00' entertaining?

Yes
33%
No
22%
I've yet to see it
45%

Total votes: 64

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

VF5SS wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote: and Alleluja is ... well, I don't know exactly what he is, but he's something.
He's Metal!
A 'Gundam' series done by the creators of 'Metalocalypse'? Sounds interesting. (Note to Sunrise: HIRE THEM!)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

This series really had me when what's-his-face pulled a gun on Granny in episode seven.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

3rd Impact wrote:This series really had me when what's-his-face pulled a gun on Granny in episode seven.
You mean when Jihad-kun pulled a gun on Vowels-tan. Tieria is Vowels because he has too many vowels in his name. 2 to 1 ration, not good!

I must say that episode 8's awesome Sergei action is somewhat overshadowed by the implications that Stupid Sexy Lockon has an identical twin brother. Gah.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Warsie
BANNED

Post by Warsie »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Woah, how did a new Gundam series just pop out of nowhere?
I've heard about it for several months...
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

(Spoilers) Regarding episode 9:

I really hope the Elite HRL dudes come out of this at least partially intact. It'd suck for all of Sergei's cleverness to be wiped out by "lol berserk mode ON" as Hallelujah's secret asshole powers activate.

Best part of episode: LOCKON STRATOS' real name is Neil.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Ezekiel-
Redshirt

Post by Ezekiel- »

I cannot help but agree that the absolute best part of ep 9 is the fact that Mr. Awesome Name's real name is Neil.

With regards to the Tieren; I also agree that it is ludicrously awesome. (also; sniping kneepad) It's tied with the Union Flag as my favorite mobile suit of the metaseries thus far, amongst other epic units such as the Gouf or Wing Zero and, dare I say it, the underappreciated, crested GiNN.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well, I got through eps 8 and 9 today. First of all, Sergei. Fucking Sergei.

Sergei.

It was interesting to see Setsuna display some more emotion, as we discover something more in regards to his motivations. His past experiences of diplomacy have left him distinctly unimpressed with it; the Meister's pasts prove to be difficult enemies to deal with. Though not as difficult as Sergei. It was interesting as well to discover that the Anf's from ep1 were from Azadistan, and that they directly responsible for the destruction of the Kurdish Republic. Character conflict! :)

And we'll finally, finally get to see Soma kick some ass and take some names. If the Custom Flag/Tuned Enact are the Exia equivalent, than the Taozi is the Virtue equivalent - fuckin' beefy.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Bad Sumeragi, not realizing that Sergei would have become more awesome in the 18 years following the 4th Orbital Conflict. And of course, Sergei now has an unit whose members are all equal or superior to Patrick, the Ace of the AEU.

After all, they don't get shot down by the first attack. :wink:
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ford Prefect wrote:Well, I got through eps 8 and 9 today. First of all, Sergei. Fucking Sergei.

Sergei.
Sumeragi wrote:How did they know Smirnov was my weakness!?!
So did anyone notice Dynames's crazy GN crotch rockets? That was a cool attack. And I can't wait to see Gundam Virture, CAST OFF! Change Gundam Nadle! Even Vowels's Gundam is a crossdresser. Haha
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Sumeragi wrote:How did they know Smirnov was my weakness!?!
Not even your breasts can save you from the Wild Bear of Russia.
So did anyone notice Dynames's crazy GN crotch rockets? That was a cool attack.
I was especially taken by the fact that the effect upon the Lahou was similar to caused by the Daedelus Attack from Macross; the ship developed similar metallic boils along its length before erupting into a cool explosion.
What is Project Zohar?

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Regarding Christina's panic attack during the battle: one of the contributors to THAT Animeblog made the following comments.
Soulshard wrote:Sumeragi didn’t really need radar because there should have been a radar screen on her command seat (wasn’t there big radar dashboard on the wall?); but even if the big screen demanded her attention more, you can’t have Christina scaring the crew shitless during a life or death situation. It was surprising and it was stupid. It was also stereotypical for a Japanese staff to depict a female crewmember in that way. Just because the Gundams are the saviors of the show doesn’t mean the viewer should be subjected to panic attacks by the ship’s crew. Christina was pissing in her pants as a dramatic effect for the show, highlighting the need for the Gundam pilots to pull a victory out of their asses. As a character development it was disgusting, and as a depiction of a dedicated member of a militant organization which has fought a guerilla war for months it was offending, vulgar, and nonsensical.
Anyone agree with Soulshard's assessment? (Note: if you're wondering, I'm NOT Soulshard.)

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Not even your breasts can save you from the Wild Bear of Russia.
Actually I meant to write his name as Smirnoff. Like the vodka. Because you know, Sumeragi is a booze hound.

I was especially taken by the fact that the effect upon the Lahou was similar to caused by the Daedelus Attack from Macross; the ship developed similar metallic boils along its length before erupting into a cool explosion.
DYNAMES ATTACK!
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Sidewinder wrote: Anyone agree with Soulshard's assessment? (Note: if you're wondering, I'm NOT Soulshard.)
No, I don't. First of all, Sumeragi was after Chistina to turn on their defensive shield, not some update on radar. Second of all, Christina might be a part of Celestial Being, but she tends to be in entirely different parts of the world to the actual fighting. As a depiction of a person who's entire combat experience was monitoring battles from thousands, tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of kilometres away, it was perfectly realistic.

It did not highlight a need for the Meisters to do anything. If they survive Sergei's attack, it will be upon the back of their massive combat capabilities, as they are the only offensive armament of the Ptolemy. Christina getting freaked out by bits of exploding battleship screaming towards her at considerable velocity was perfectly apt at demonstrating that not everyone is some hardened badass, practically emotionless robot or practiced soldier - you know, the act of humanising people. I'd think that anyone watching the show, and understanding what role Christina actually plays in and Celestial Being and Gundam 00, would get that.
What is Project Zohar?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

The ages of the Celestial Beings. I like how Vowels is a big "?" He must be a pansexual god like Amaterasu from Five Star Stories.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Huh, I was expecting Felt to be in her early 20s, not 14. I guess I just assumed that Setsuna was the youngest of the bunch.

And you know, being a pansexual god would go a long way toward explaining Tiera being an asshole, since everyone is literally beneath His Holiness.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

VF5SS wrote:The ages of the Celestial Beings.
That 14-year-old is NOT a combatant, is she? (I wish SOMEONE in charge of the 'Gundam' franchise would read this before they decide to put someone that young in the cockpit of a war machine.

Ezekiel-
Redshirt

Post by Ezekiel- »

ZShade wrote:Huh, I was expecting Felt to be in her early 20s, not 14. *rest snipped*
I sense a Char (Neil). :shock: :o
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Ezekiel- wrote:
ZShade wrote:Huh, I was expecting Felt to be in her early 20s, not 14. *rest snipped*
I sense a Char (Neil). :shock: :o
I actually saw their scenes together as being more brother/sister, as opposed to Char hitting on every underaged Newtype he met.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Sidewinder wrote: That 14-year-old is NOT a combatant, is she? (I wish SOMEONE in charge of the 'Gundam' franchise would read this before they decide to put someone that young in the cockpit of a war machine.
You know, if you had watched the series, you'd know the answer to this. In fact, if you'd been paying attention to anything about this series at all, you'd know the answer, much as you'd have known the answer to your earlier question. Felt is a tactical operator aboard the Ptolemy, not a combatant.
Huh, I was expecting Felt to be in her early 20s, not 14. I guess I just assumed that Setsuna was the youngest of the bunch.
To be honest, I was most surprised by the fact that Christina is in her twenties. It threw me off for a moment.
What is Project Zohar?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Felt is a very sad little girl. She misses Haro.

Also, is anyone else laughing at the fact that Sidewinder wants the people at Sunrise to read an article written in English?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

VF5SS wrote:Felt is a very sad little girl. She misses Haro.
But Haro ... does not miss Felt.
Also, is anyone else laughing at the fact that Sidewinder wants the people at Sunrise to read an article written in English?
I'm just astounded at his ability to get offended by the presence of child soldiers, despite the fact that the show actually condemns the usage of child soldiers.
What is Project Zohar?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ford Prefect wrote:
I'm just astounded at his ability to get offended by the presence of child soldiers, despite the fact that the show actually condemns the usage of child soldiers.
I think he needs to learn how to pretend that his favorite cartoon characters are older than their arbitrarily assigned age.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Ford Prefect wrote:To be honest, I was most surprised by the fact that Christina is in her twenties. It threw me off for a moment.
She's making a spirited effort at reaching Sumergai's bust size, so that didn't surprise me. :D
VF5SS wrote:Felt is a very sad little girl. She misses Haro.
But there's plenty more on board, what makes Neil's Haro so special?

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

ZShade wrote:She's making a spirited effort at reaching Sumergai's bust size, so that didn't surprise me. :D
I've seen a fair amount of anime in my time. I've learnt that bust size isn't a strong indicator of anything other than bust size. :wink:
VF5SS wrote:But there's plenty more on board, what makes Neil's Haro so special?
Lockon's Haro is clearly the original. I sort of got the feeling that Felt might have actually built Haro (there has to be at least one hand built Haro).
What is Project Zohar?

ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Ford Prefect wrote:I've seen a fair amount of anime in my time. I've learnt that bust size isn't a strong indicator of anything other than bust size. :wink:
I certainly can't disagree with you there, but 00 seems to be better about it than most animes are.

Hmm, how old is Wan, anyway?
Ford Prefect wrote:Lockon's Haro is clearly the original. I sort of got the feeling that Felt might have actually built Haro (there has to be at least one hand built Haro).
And afterwards, they shall be mass produced for fun and profit. I wonder if Amuro ever got royalties for the UC line of Haros.