Gundam 00: The Stupid, It Burns

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Is 'Gundam 00' entertaining?

Yes
33%
No
22%
I've yet to see it
45%

Total votes: 64

Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

VF5SS wrote:There is no love in Gundam! There's only a brief moment of calm before the loved ones get shot in the face.
Tell that to Domon, if it wasn't for the power of love the Devil Gundam would still be up and about. Then there is Seed/Destiny where the power of love was enough to resurrect Mwu La Flaga.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

great now I'm picturing 40k/Gundam....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

VF5SS wrote:Well this show officially has a Jerrid in the form of Patrick. I lolled when he attempted to strafe Virtue and Tieria just said, "please say hello to my cannons" and totally punked him out of the sky.
The Ace of the AEU isn't even on Jerid's level. Jerid came close to killing Kamille a couple of times, whereas Patrick's standard (and only) skill is charging straight ahead. I hope all of his appearances show him getting shot down; it's good fun.
VF5SS wrote:And Billy has betrayed Graham for Sumeragi's breasts. Oh what a plot twist.
He'll go skipping back to Graham after she leaves. Graham, at least, isn't a lush who drinks all of the time to dull the constant back pain.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

ZShade wrote:
VF5SS wrote:Well this show officially has a Jerrid in the form of Patrick. I lolled when he attempted to strafe Virtue and Tieria just said, "please say hello to my cannons" and totally punked him out of the sky.
The Ace of the AEU isn't even on Jerid's level. Jerid came close to killing Kamille a couple of times, whereas Patrick's standard (and only) skill is charging straight ahead. I hope all of his appearances show him getting shot down; it's good fun.
If he gets shot down in seconds, without the Gundam pilot even noticing he's in a special Ace MS, and this happens every time he shows up, that alone will make this series a beautiful win.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

The 4komas have started to come out.

Why the Tieren Tauzi is pink.

Who does Setsunna love?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

VF5SS wrote:Why the Tieren Tauzi is pink.
What kind of personality does Soma Peiris have? Is she as girly as the 4koma suggests?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Sidewinder wrote: What kind of personality does Soma Peiris have? Is she as girly as the 4koma suggests?
No. You see, that's the joke.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Sidewinder wrote: What kind of personality does Soma Peiris have? Is she as girly as the 4koma suggests?
Watching her interact with Sergei is interesting. When they take the train to the low orbit station, Sergei attempts to conect with her on a more human level, and her 'professional' attitude is making it difficult. It's juxtaposition - Sergei spends much of his time empathising with Soma, yet actively disliking the project she's apart of, the guy in charge of her medical care and so on.

Anyway, I just saw episode 6, and the political nature of this show really stood out. The AEU parliment and their subdued bickering and factional split over Moralia really shows why they're pretty much the weakest of the three blocs. Certainly, they don't have anyone in political power like President Brian. This is reflected in their Mobile Suits: the Enact is a knock-off of the Union Flag, and while the Union has Graham, and while the HRL has Sergei and Soma, the AEU has Patrick Corlasawar. At least Al Sarshes Enact is pretty awesome.

Also, this is pretty much the first time I've ever been really impressed when breasts have appeared in anime. Pretty much every time Sumeragi walked onto the screen - Earth gravity does wonders.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ford Prefect wrote:...the AEU has Patrick Corlasawar.
Are you implying that Patrick's patented CHARGE!!! tactic has no actual merit? He's succeeded in over 2000 simulations thanks to that!
Also, this is pretty much the first time I've ever been really impressed when breasts have appeared in anime. Pretty much every time Sumeragi walked onto the screen - Earth gravity does wonders.
Her dress was so low cut she could be arrested for wearing it. She was one heavy sigh away from topless.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

VF5SS wrote:Are you implying that Patrick's patented CHARGE!!! tactic has no actual merit? He's succeeded in over 2000 simulations thanks to that!
I think those 2000 'simulations' had to be arcade matches against small children.
Her dress was so low cut she could be arrested for wearing it. She was one heavy sigh away from topless.
Isn't it wonderful? :lol:
What is Project Zohar?

The Yosemite Bear

Ford Prefect wrote:
VF5SS wrote:Are you implying that Patrick's patented CHARGE!!! tactic has no actual merit? He's succeeded in over 2000 simulations thanks to that!
I think those 2000 'simulations' had to be arcade matches against small children.
Isn't it wonderful? :lol:
never underestimate bad AI...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ford Prefect wrote:
There is some discussion on what exactly happened in these simulations. He could have been shooting down gun turrets like in the first episode, or engaged in pointless military exercises like in the last one. What exactly makes him an ace? Has the AEU even gone to war?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
The Yosemite Bear

Dude you have to stop killing things in the Newb forest...

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

VF5SS wrote:There is some discussion on what exactly happened in these simulations. He could have been shooting down gun turrets like in the first episode, or engaged in pointless military exercises like in the last one. What exactly makes him an ace? Has the AEU even gone to war?
I would think that the AEU would have regional conflict to deal with, like with the HRL and Ceylon. However, the AEU could just as easily be doing more posturing; they all but admitted they were militarily the weakest bloc on the block.
What is Project Zohar?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

You know what I said about people in Gundam having no love, only death? Well, Gundam 00 confirms that in episode 7 where we learn (hay he's gonna spoil it) that Setsunna shot his mom in the face thanks to Ali's little personality cult. He ain't no Heero Yui, boy, no Heero.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Due to a lack of Patrick in episode 7, I present you the Patrick Corlasawar dance.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

I finally sat down and watched episode 7, and I'm starting to think that Tieria is closer to Heero, with his 'mission over everything' stance, and utter contempt for everyone else. Granted, his pink sweater isn't nearly as manly as Heero's green tanktop, but you can't have everything.

Hopefully, the next episode will have Patrick being shot down again, in addition to Setsuna meeting his one true love.

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Episode 8 was not graced by the presence of Patrick, (but it was graced by Felt Grace if you know what I mean). Instead we got shota Lockon. Just a cute little Irish boy.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Felt is just adorable, especially her one handed splashing in the background.

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

This episode isn't that bad. Even with Setsunna revealing his codename like a dumbass, I liked the emotional impact of his little speech with Marina. It's also interesting to see the AEU leaked information in order to help the Celestial Beings. There's really a surprising amount plot nestled in an episode about Sumeragi's breasts.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I kinda like episode 8s not-so-subtle condemnation of suicide bombing and political bombing. I don't get why an entire culture can wank to that idea, but something that isn't the mindless U.S. vs Muslim dipshittery that one normally expects is nice.

Personally, I think Tiera is just a dick. That's my theory right now, and it would be nice to have a character in a gundam who is just a jackass who isn't totally 1-d like Wong(?) from Zeta.

Oh, and I have some good hopes for 00. The main theme is suitably lame. Turn A and Gundam X both had really lame OPs/EPs. This is very important. Lame OPs mean good gundam. Catchy but bad mean SEED.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

I had a good laugh at the end of Ep 8 when the troubled Princess seeks help from Finland and receives none. Looks like our Politicians havent changed much in the years between now and Gundam 00's era.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Dark Hellion wrote:Personally, I think Tiera is just a dick.
Quite. It's his big flaw; they all have one. Tiera is a total asshole, Setsunna is a certified headcase, Lockon is a hypocrite, and Alleluja is ... well, I don't know exactly what he is, but he's something. It's just another way for the director to show us that Celestial Being isn't right. We already knew how tenuous Celestial Being's position is ideologically since Graham got a laugh out of the whole idea in the first episode. This is just a way to hammer it home.
What is Project Zohar?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ford Prefect wrote: and Alleluja is ... well, I don't know exactly what he is, but he's something.
He's Metal!
We already knew how tenuous Celestial Being's position is ideologically since Graham got a laugh out of the whole idea in the first episode.
Yeah but Graham will laugh at anything. He's the kind of guy that would have a dartboard with Exia's picture on it and every time he gets a bullseye he laughs maniacally.

Also, remember Setsunna (or Soran or Kamel or whatever) swimming to his Gundam?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

VF5SS wrote:He's Metal!
Oh sweet Jesus.
Yeah but Graham will laugh at anything. He's the kind of guy that would have a dartboard with Exia's picture on it and every time he gets a bullseye he laughs maniacally.
While Graham's hold on his sanity is tenuous at best, one must admit that he was pretty much correct in this instance.
What is Project Zohar?