An ENTDECKER-class carrier from Perry Rhodan

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Luzifer's right hand wrote:
Raesene wrote: and unstoppable too... although the process takes more time than a Death Star application.

I've always been fond of the 'Gravitationsbomben' - open a rift to hyperspace, target is sucked into it, problem solved :-).
The latter higher-dimensional shields nullified this weapon, but in the first few story arcs it was the ultimate weapon in space.
The use of arkon bombs is much less risky though. Ships have been destroyed by their own gravity bombs.
Gravity bombs are maybe better when you don't want that anyone escapes, but you can just let a small fleet use more conventional weapons if you want that.[/url]
Gravity bombs have a bit more flexibility as they can also be used against ships. However, for rapid destruction of a planet I'd use the method utilized against the control planet of the Andromeda-stellar transmitter: continuous bombardment with several ultrabattleships until it breaks apart (BDZ de luxe ;-) )

The globular design and symetic distribution permitted them to 'spin', enabling nearly all guns of the ship to fire at one point in space. The TFKs have a reloead time. At the same time, this maneuver prevented enemy beam weapons to fire continuously onto one point of the shield to overload it.

A good defensive system was a randomized drive (Goedda-zyklus ?) which added a slight random variable to the thrust of a vessel, thus making a succesful hit with beam weapons less likely.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Luzifer's right hand wrote:It has been suggested that transformcannon fire has negative effects on 5D Systems when they pass trough them, a ship is not a more or less 5-D inert thing like a planet after all.
Good point...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

Raesene wrote: The globular design and symetic distribution permitted them to 'spin', enabling nearly all guns of the ship to fire at one point in space. The TFKs have a reloead time. At the same time, this maneuver prevented enemy beam weapons to fire continuously onto one point of the shield to overload it.
Transformcannons like those used by CREST III were only able to fire once every seven seconds. Spinning the ship made of course sense at that level of technology.
I still think that ramming a star system with a swarm is the best way of destroying planets. I don't care that the destruction of those star system was an accident it was just too awesome. "Is that a giant wall in space moveing at 0.5 c?" ::splat:: 8)
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Raesene wrote: The globular design and symetic distribution permitted them to 'spin', enabling nearly all guns of the ship to fire at one point in space. The TFKs have a reloead time. At the same time, this maneuver prevented enemy beam weapons to fire continuously onto one point of the shield to overload it.
Transformcannons like those used by CREST III were only able to fire once every seven seconds. Spinning the ship made of course sense at that level of technology.
I still think that ramming a star system with a swarm is the best way of destroying planets. I don't care that the destruction of those star system was an accident it was just too awesome. "Is that a giant wall in space moveing at 0.5 c?" ::splat:: 8)
that is stylish :-)

I've read the hardcovers a bit into Old Man (30something ) and the booklets from approximately 1580 up to 2300 or so. Somehow they lost their appeal to me, the stories became too repetitive.

The illustrations were nice work and got me to read the series when I found them the in the binders.

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Raesene wrote: that is stylish :-)

I've read the hardcovers a bit into Old Man (30something ) and the booklets from approximately 1580 up to 2300 or so. Somehow they lost their appeal to me, the stories became too repetitive.

The illustrations were nice work and got me to read the series when I found them the in the binders.
The funny thing is that series was rather different between 700 and 1399, post 1400 it's more back to the roots. Well until 2211....
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Luzifer's right hand wrote:The funny thing is that series was rather different between 700 and 1399, post 1400 it's more back to the roots. Well until 2211....
Probably because of Willi Voltz being the expose author during most of that time.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Jawawithagun wrote:
Luzifer's right hand wrote:The funny thing is that series was rather different between 700 and 1399, post 1400 it's more back to the roots. Well until 2211....
Probably because of Willi Voltz being the expose author during most of that time.
I find these universe-encompassing threats boring - once again, Rhodan and Co have to save the whole multiverse. I`d prefer more intra-milky way stories - having two rival superpowers with relative immortals at the helm locked in a cold war would be more interesting, to me, at least.

Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Raesene wrote: I find these universe-encompassing threats boring - once again, Rhodan and Co have to save the whole multiverse. I`d prefer more intra-milky way stories - having two rival superpowers with relative immortals at the helm locked in a cold war would be more interesting, to me, at least.
They only saved the main-plotline universe once, and we do not even know if the Cosmocrats would have carried through with their threat. :p

The new empire of the Arkonides their empire was never a creditable as long as the Posbis were on the side of the LFT. Post-Hi it's even worse, the LFT got 50k ships as powerful as their own Ultrabattleships(one of those was finished at the time...) as a gift.
I also hate the new Arkonides with passion. :p
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Raesene wrote: I find these universe-encompassing threats boring - once again, Rhodan and Co have to save the whole multiverse. I`d prefer more intra-milky way stories - having two rival superpowers with relative immortals at the helm locked in a cold war would be more interesting, to me, at least.
They only saved the main-plotline universe once, and we do not even know if the Cosmocrats would have carried through with their threat. :p

The new empire of the Arkonides their empire was never a creditable as long as the Posbis were on the side of the LFT. Post-Hi it's even worse, the LFT got 50k ships as powerful as their own Ultrabattleships(one of those was finished at the time...) as a gift.
I also hate the new Arkonides with passion. :p
Am I correct to assume you are not really a fan of Emperor Bostich ? :-) Give the poor Arkonides another chance; after many years of being described as degenerates, the rejuvantion was a good thing and helped to give the LFT again some headaches in their own galaxy.

The Solar Residence storyarc (2000 - 2099) was nice in that regard, although I could have done without SEELENQUELL.

Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Raesene wrote: Am I correct to assume you are not really a fan of Emperor Bostich ? :-) Give the poor Arkonides another chance; after many years of being described as degenerates, the rejuvantion was a good thing and helped to give the LFT again some headaches in their own galaxy.

The Solar Residence storyarc (2000 - 2099) was nice in that regard, although I could have done without SEELENQUELL.
The thing is that they Arkonides should not even give the LFT headaches as long as the Posbis are around.
God was a pissed when Rhodan FINALLY called Posbi support in and it turned out that they were on the side of the Arkonides....at least the writers realized that they could not make a believable conflict with the Posbis on the side of the LFT.
I hate Bostich :p that's only natural for a Bully fanboy. ;)
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Raesene wrote: Am I correct to assume you are not really a fan of Emperor Bostich ? :-) Give the poor Arkonides another chance; after many years of being described as degenerates, the rejuvantion was a good thing and helped to give the LFT again some headaches in their own galaxy.

The thing is that they Arkonides should not even give the LFT headaches as long as the Posbis are around.
God was a pissed when Rhodan FINALLY called Posbi support in and it turned out that they were on the side of the Arkonides....at least the writers realized that they could not make a believable conflict with the Posbis on the side of the LFT.
That was one of the few moments reading the series when I had to close my mouth manually... :-)
I hate Bostich :p that's only natural for a Bully fanboy. ;)
That's understandable ;-) It was one of the darker stories.