Star Trek Vs Harrington

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

The Dark wrote: According to Weber, the new missile carries the same warhead as the standard capital missile: "a capital missile launches a small cluster of laser heads which separate themselves physically from one another but combine the input from all of their tracking systems in an effort to obtain the most effective firing positions for each independent warhead."

Can someone doublecheck some physics math for me? A capital missile is capable of 85,000G for 180 seconds. If we assume half the acceleration goes to evasive maneuvers, that gives us the equivalent of 85,000 G for 90 seconds. 85,000 G works out to roughly 833,000 m/s/s, for a total velocity of 74,970,000 m/s.

The mass of a missile is 80 tons - in order to lowball, I'll call it 72,000 kilograms.

Kinetic energy equals half of mass times velocity squared. This works out to 4.04676E+20 joules, or the equivalent of 96,719 megatons (96.719 gigatons). Now, this is a terminal missile strike, but unless I've screwed up some math somewhere, that's absurdly above the warhead power.
The thing to remember about honorverse missiles is point defense efficiency. Missiles don't use nuclear contact warheads, they use bomb pumped lasers because they give a standoff range of around 30,000 kilometers.

So I'm not surprised that they are more dangerous as KE weapons. The problem is that the odds of actually making contact are almost impossible.

Lets say that the missile makes it through the PD envelope without getting hit. It now has to turn off its wedge, or the ships wedge would cause the missiles nodes to blow, destroying the missile. So at this point it has to go ballistic to survive.

After this it then has to pass through the sidewall,the honorverse does have devices that allow this but the one time we see them used only half the missiles that reached the sidewall breach it.

If it does make it through the sidewall it now has to hit the (relatively) tiny ship at the center of the wedge. Except DW has said that ships have the ability to "jink" within the wedge, so the missile can't even just be aimed at the center of the wedge.

Thats why laserheads are used, they create a porcupine effect of multiple beams and usually out of that only one or two even hit the ship.

Its late for me and I'm tired so I hope this makes sense. If not I'll try to clear it up when I'm not halfway asleep.
Nerem
Redshirt

Post by Nerem »

What I wanna know is: What are 'penetrators' for Sidewalls and stuff, and how the hell do the 'bomb-pumped lasers' work? Its sounds so... vague.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Nerem wrote:What I wanna know is: What are 'penetrators' for Sidewalls and stuff, and how the hell do the 'bomb-pumped lasers' work? Its sounds so... vague.
Sidewall Penetrators are a unexplained technology. What they do is basically force an opening in the sidewall, allowing the missile it's on to pass through.

Bomb-pumped lasers are a derivation of the RL Star Wars program. Basically, you have a rod of lasing material. When the x-ray energy from the nuclear device hits the rod, an x-ray laser is created, with a beam going out of the rod.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nerem wrote:What I wanna know is: What are 'penetrators' for Sidewalls and stuff, and how the hell do the 'bomb-pumped lasers' work? Its sounds so... vague.
Welcome to SD.net, Nerem. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
With that out of the way, bomb-pumped lasers are actually a real-world concept, and sidewall penetrators work the same way Honorverse sidewalls, gravitics, stardrive, impellers etc work-somehow.
Their behaviour seems to be moderately consistent. That's more than other SciFi franchises can claim.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Batman wrote:
The Dark wrote:Kinetic energy equals half of mass times velocity squared. This works out to 4.04676E+20 joules, or the equivalent of 96,719 megatons (96.719 gigatons). Now, this is a terminal missile strike, but unless I've screwed up some math somewhere, that's absurdly above the warhead power.
The thing to remember about honorverse missiles is point defense efficiency. Missiles don't use nuclear contact warheads, they use bomb pumped lasers because they give a standoff range of around 30,000 kilometers.

So I'm not surprised that they are more dangerous as KE weapons. The problem is that the odds of actually making contact are almost impossible.
Yeah, I agree with the reasoning behind why they use much lower-powered bomb-pumped lasers, but it explains why kinetic strikes scare the hell out of people. That single missile is equivalent to about 4.5 heavy turbolaser blasts. Against a low-maneuverability target without the gravitic technology of the Honorverse, those sort of kinetic strikes would be fatal.

Ghost Rider and the MDMs make it even worse, since they have higher accelerations and the MDMs have longer drive durations.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And what, exactly, had I to do with that? :P
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Batman wrote:And what, exactly, had I to do with that? :P
Well, I edited the hell out of it, but I was agreeing with the reasoning of why they don't rely on pure KE weapons. With their point defense, semi-stealth (within the wedge), and maneuverability relative to the missiles, a clean hit would be virtually impossible.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Dark wrote:
Batman wrote:And what, exactly, had I to do with that? :P
Well, I edited the hell out of it, but I was agreeing with the reasoning of why they don't rely on pure KE weapons. With their point defense, semi-stealth (within the wedge), and maneuverability relative to the missiles, a clean hit would be virtually impossible.
How shall I put it...If you quote me, how about you actually quote me? :P
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Also the kinetic defense of the Honorverse is much better than the defense against energy weapons. Even their particle shield (inferior to the sidewall) can stop KE impacts up to two gigatons energy. The sidewall is nearly immune to KE impacts (unless your sidewall penetrator is working) and the wedge is immune against everything the Honorverse can throw against it (including huge volleys of MDMs).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

The Dark wrote: The mass of a missile is 80 tons - in order to lowball, I'll call it 72,000 kilograms.
80 tons was around the size of a measly cruiser-sized missile. Capital Missiles are heavier still.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
PhoenixVTam
Redshirt

Post by PhoenixVTam »

Dahak wrote:
The Dark wrote: The mass of a missile is 80 tons - in order to lowball, I'll call it 72,000 kilograms.
80 tons was around the size of a measly cruiser-sized missile. Capital Missiles are heavier still.
In "Honor Among Enemies", the Mark 27 Mod C single-drive pod missile -- which is noted to be bigger and more powerful than a "regular" capital ship missile -- is stated to be 120 tons in standard gravity and just shy of fifteen metres long.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

PhoenixVTam wrote:
Dahak wrote:
In "Honor Among Enemies", the Mark 27 Mod C single-drive pod missile -- which is noted to be bigger and more powerful than a "regular" capital ship missile -- is stated to be 120 tons in standard gravity and just shy of fifteen metres long.
Simple enough to scale. Since it's linear with mass, a 50% more massive missile means 50% more kinetic energy - 145 gigatons.
BattleTech for SilCore