nBSG: LDYB Pt 2 thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

JME2 wrote:
Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Something I was wondering about: why did Gina have Baltar stay with her? She appeared to still have her aversion to physical contact; she must have had a good reason to subject herself to that, then. What was it?
My feeling is that with the Ressurection Ship gone, she knew that once the nuke went off, it was game over once and for all. Since the Six's were engineered with a greater focus on sexuality, it's possible that she wanted to experience it one last time before the big boom.
And it would really send Baltar off the deep end, as we saw. I think that's another reason why Baltar's such a shitty president.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Skylon wrote:A note on the "why not scrap the ships and use them as shelter" arguement.

Maybe cooler heads prevailed here and realized "if the Cylons do show up, we should be able to run like hell"?

In retrospect I'm having a hard time believing what the heck happened with Galactica and Pegasu. I'd have expected the ships to maybe have a rotation of crew members going to down to the surface for a few months, then returning to their posts, and so on. Not this full up "okay, anyone who wants off the ship, go down there."

The disrepair I can buy, as the civilians would want any construction materials found going to the planet.
The total degradation of the military, abandonment is more like it, is the part I really don't like about the episode. The rest was well done, but the atrophied battlestars sucks.

Either the two battlestars and the other handful of ships that jumped with them just go, and you have a real basic reset button on the show, just with a slightly smaller 'fleet'.

Or you have two way underequiped battlestars doing a guerilla style war on the colony to kill Cylons intermingled with humans. He likes his analogies with modern day, he can play I v P.

BTW, if Ron Moore has any balls, he'd drop the 'tweleve colonies' bit and shorten it down to 'Colony'. :P
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Skylon wrote:A note on the "why not scrap the ships and use them as shelter" arguement.

Maybe cooler heads prevailed here and realized "if the Cylons do show up, we should be able to run like hell"?

In retrospect I'm having a hard time believing what the heck happened with Galactica and Pegasu. I'd have expected the ships to maybe have a rotation of crew members going to down to the surface for a few months, then returning to their posts, and so on. Not this full up "okay, anyone who wants off the ship, go down there."

The disrepair I can buy, as the civilians would want any construction materials found going to the planet.
I think the ships still in orbit may have been those that were unable to make planetfall. The one with the ring, for example. How are you going to get that on the ground?
Even the Galactica would be a beached whale on the ground, no landing gear could honestly support such a massive ship, even if you could find a large enough site to park her. Look at how much space Colonial One took up in the city shots, and then recall the size comparision when Galactica and C1 were flying side-by-side.

Somehow, I doubt Galactica could float like an Asgard Belisknor or a SW Acclamator.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Watched the episode last light, so a few things:
Holy shit, they did blow up Cloud Nine, and holy shit, that image with the toasters walking through the city wasn't a photoshop.
Good show overall in my opinion.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I'm endlessly amused about Tyrol:

He ends up fathering the child of and living with the same woman he nearly beat to death (accidentally) within a year or so of her shooting his ex-lover to death.

Outstanding!
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

LadyTevar wrote:.I think the ships still in orbit may have been those that were unable to make planetfall. The one with the ring, for example. How are you going to get that on the ground?
Even the Galactica would be a beached whale on the ground, no landing gear could honestly support such a massive ship, even if you could find a large enough site to park her. Look at how much space Colonial One took up in the city shots, and then recall the size comparision when Galactica and C1 were flying side-by-side.

Somehow, I doubt Galactica could float like an Asgard Belisknor or a SW Acclamator.
I was actually referring to the ships that landed on the planet. I saw a few people ask why weren't ships like those and some of the Raptors weren't scrapped for building materials.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I was under the impression that at least one of the Raptors (and perhaps more of them?) was used as a sort of planet-to-space comm station. It seemed as if the particular Raptor that Starbuck used to talk to Lee was at least partially intact, though evidently surrounded by the tent city and shacks. I need to watch that part of the episode again and check it out in detail.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I was under the impression that at least one of the Raptors (and perhaps more of them?) was used as a sort of planet-to-space comm station. It seemed as if the particular Raptor that Starbuck used to talk to Lee was at least partially intact, though evidently surrounded by the tent city and shacks. I need to watch that part of the episode again and check it out in detail.
Yeah, it looked like at least that Raptor had been used as a glorified phone-booth. Possibly could still fly, depending on how hell the things hold up just sitting on the ground in varying weather conditions. And if it was on the ground the full year.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

I ran into the first broadcast while I was flipping channels, and saw the male Cylon telling Baltar about detecting the nuke. I decided to turn it off until I could watch the whole thing from the beginning, and the whole time I was wondering how they detected radiation so quickly from more than a light year away.

Then I saw it from the beginning. :lol:

Gaius Baltar is the devil. The devil, I tells ya!

And it's nice to see the writers setting up such a monumental challenge for themselves next season.

~40,000 survivors...totally screwed. Or are they?

Oh, and losing Cloud Nine is pretty lame. I thought they'd off the Pegasus with that nuke.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I like how they've spent the last two seasons of nBSG building up Baltar's character; he's now an utterly irredeemable scumbag; it's far more realistic than evil twirling moustache Baltar from oBSG ordering cylons around from the start; and yes; I think he finally snapped with Cloud Nine's destruction.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Skylon wrote:I was actually referring to the ships that landed on the planet. I saw a few people ask why weren't ships like those and some of the Raptors weren't scrapped for building materials.
There's no reason to scrap a Raptor to build a tiny home out of it. As for the other ships, we don't know which can land and which can't. Unless someone can provide screenshots, I'm fairly certain only Colonial One landed.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

MKSheppard wrote:I like how they've spent the last two seasons of nBSG building up Baltar's character; he's now an utterly irredeemable scumbag; it's far more realistic than evil twirling moustache Baltar from oBSG ordering cylons around from the start; and yes; I think he finally snapped with Cloud Nine's destruction.
As an aside, it was a nice visual transition. He puts he head down on the desk after Adama leaves following the report of the stolen nuke, then when he lifts his head up again he's well into his presidency and living in rather luxurious conditions.

At the beginning one could argue that he was at best an unwitting accomplice of Six, giving her the technical details of the Colonial defenses, essentially in exchange for getting in her pants. But now, he is really in deep after handing another Six a nuclear weapon. Surely he did so anticipating it would be used against the fleet.
Skylon wrote:Yeah, it looked like at least that Raptor had been used as a glorified phone-booth. Possibly could still fly, depending on how hell the things hold up just sitting on the ground in varying weather conditions. And if it was on the ground the full year.
From the apparent crowding of tents and such around the Raptor, it would take awhile to clear all of that away so the thing could lift off without causing all kinds of havoc. It powered up fairly quickly with an audible sound, so whatever Starbuck turned on (batteries, some sort of generator?) in the back of the ship to use its comm gear, it probably isn't left on all of the time.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

David Eick's videoblog was updated on Friday (I just noticed). It certainly is an interesting one. :D
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Interesting. I was watching the 18th video blog and the prop guy mentioned why the season 1 pistol was taken out. He said the gun only held 6 rounds and it had to be taken apart to reload it.

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Damnit, ghetto edit: Specifically, the season 1 gun was a revolver, thus they had to remove all the dressing to reload.

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Damnit, ghetto edit: Specifically, the season 1 gun was a revolver, thus they had to remove all the dressing to reload.
Interesting. I wonder if we will see the Colonials building firearms, to explain any new prop gun designs. Especially if such weapons in universe are built in secret if the occupation of New Caprica is to turn violent. I suspect we may see the Cylons requiring all weapons to be surrendered.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Damnit, ghetto edit: Specifically, the season 1 gun was a revolver, thus they had to remove all the dressing to reload.
That's too bad. I really liked the season 1 sidearm. Reminded me of the gun from Blade Runner.
-A.L.

Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

StarshipTitanic wrote:There's no reason to scrap a Raptor to build a tiny home out of it. As for the other ships, we don't know which can land and which can't. Unless someone can provide screenshots, I'm fairly certain only Colonial One landed.
More than just Colonial One:

http://www.galacticastation.com/Galacti ... cap503.htm
-A.L.

Calrissian
Youngling

Dramatic...and worthwhile

Post by Calrissian »

As someone who felt deeply let down that missy president didn't die of cancer, BSG has ended it's second season well.

Just where the hell are we headed in this story though? An utter minefield lies ahead for Moore, hopefully he will listen to at least a few of his 'fans', and it'll at least be good for another year or two.
---

Best part of the show...
Seeing Adama get the hell outta there at the end.
---
I had initially hoped he'd just continue on the Earth search, but that seems not plausible since the two Battlestars are running on barely enough crew to function. So, Adama et al will have to come back...if only to pick up a few thousand people.

*ohh, and WTF do people still believe the teasers are good? As many have said, they are stupid and are playing to the idiots. To actually show a glimpse of cloud'9 being blown to bits at the start, jeez, what sorta dumb ass really thinks thats a good idea? If the producers of the DVD sets had any sense, they'd edit out the stupid teasers.

October seems a very long way away.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Skylon wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:There's no reason to scrap a Raptor to build a tiny home out of it. As for the other ships, we don't know which can land and which can't. Unless someone can provide screenshots, I'm fairly certain only Colonial One landed.
More than just Colonial One:

http://www.galacticastation.com/Galacti ... cap503.htm
Thank you! Interesting, they stuck both the new and old shuttle in. I was hoping the old one would make an appearance outside the miniseries!

The ship on the left looks vaguely like the Astral Queen's stern from what I remember in the original series. Baltar did mention throwing the striker's ringleaders into detention.

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Thank you! Interesting, they stuck both the new and old shuttle in. I was hoping the old one would make an appearance outside the miniseries!

The ship on the left looks vaguely like the Astral Queen's stern from what I remember in the original series. Baltar did mention throwing the striker's ringleaders into detention.
At least one or two of those shuttles have been seen in a landing bay of the Cloud 9 just outboard of the large translucent dome in this episode (as well as some others--it appears to be a stock shot).
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Anyone notice the religious fanatic who tried to steal the election has her name in red on the board, while her opponent is in blue?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

FSTargetDrone wrote:At least one or two of those shuttles have been seen in a landing bay of the Cloud 9 just outboard of the large translucent dome in this episode (as well as some others--it appears to be a stock shot).
The original shuttle? I think the ones aboard the Cloud Nine were the new versions.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

RedImperator wrote:Anyone notice the religious fanatic who tried to steal the election has her name in red on the board, while her opponent is in blue?
Hey now, the religious fanatic was RIGHT! She was correct that if baltar was elected; everything would be fucked up!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote:At least one or two of those shuttles have been seen in a landing bay of the Cloud 9 just outboard of the large translucent dome in this episode (as well as some others--it appears to be a stock shot).
The original shuttle? I think the ones aboard the Cloud Nine were the new versions.
Hm, good question. The one shot of some shuttles in the Cloud 9's bay seem to at least generally match the ones on the ground next to Colonial One on New Caprica in overall outline, if not size. Unfortuantely I cannot find screenshots of the same bay just now (I am fairly certain it is a stock shot seen in past episodes) nor can I grab any shots from the season finale because I only have it on crappy video tape for the moment.

Actually, don't the new shuttles generally follow the design of the shuttles seen in oBSG? Is that what you mean?