10 best dystopias?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

MRDOD wrote:
Trytostaydead wrote: So, I must ask you. How is that any different from today's society?
No, like physically borderline mentally retarded, not ideologically or ignorantly. The caste system deprives oxygen to lower caste members to inhibit their growth and produce half-retarded slaves in the Epsilon and Delta castes, and then brainwashing repetition makes everyone happy to live in their caste- usually. If you aren't happy and you refuse to take Soma, you get shipped to a primitive Indian Reservation type of wild area.
I know what he was saying, I was just being a cynic.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Am I the only one who thinks that the society depicted in Gattaca is not really that bad when you take a less moralistic look at it, at least if you are one of the genetically enhanced?

I mean, some genetic diseases have been practically eliminated, the class system actually exists for a good reason and the best people are literally in charge...
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Peregrin Toker wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the society depicted in Gattaca is not really that bad when you take a less moralistic look at it, at least if you are one of the genetically enhanced?

I mean, some genetic diseases have been practically eliminated, the class system actually exists for a good reason and the best people are literally in charge...
A person's ability to lead cannot be estimated based simply on intelligence or other genetic qualities. For example, Patton, one of the greatest military leaders of WWII, was dyslexic. Carter, who had the highest IQ out of all of America's presidents, is widely considered to be the weakest president of the 20th century.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I like Heinlenn's ST dystopia. I like the idea of nation service for citizenship. And IIRC clear that military service was only one of the options available to those signing up.
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

weemadando wrote:I like Heinlenn's ST dystopia. I like the idea of nation service for citizenship. And IIRC clear that military service was only one of the options available to those signing up.
It's a little difficult to call that a "dystopia" because Heinlein didn't intend it as one.

And yes, you are correct that military service was not the only possibility:
Robert Heinlein wrote: In STARSHIP TROOPERS it is stated flatly and more than once that nineteen out of twenty veterans are not military veterans. Instead, 95% of voters are what we call today "former members of the federal civil service."

Addendum: The volunteer is not given a choice. He/she can't win a franchise by volunteering for what we call civil service. He volunteers ... then for two years plus-or-minus he goes where he is sent and does what he is told to do. If he is young, male, and healthy, he may wind up as cannon fodder. But there are long chances against it.
(From the afterword to "Who Are the Heirs of Patrick Henry?" in "Expanded Universe", p. 397)
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex