W40K as Anime

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:And upon further consideration, I should point out that 40k is not exactly a "pretty" universe. We are talking about a universe where Space Marines routinely get impaled or limbs hacked off; daemons which burst out of some innocent sacrifice in a fountain of gore and viscera; officials, officers, and soldiers have crude cybernetic grafts from extensive campaigning; implants and psycho-conditioning that detonate the subject upon utterance of forbidden topics... I could go on.
Two words man. Koichi. Ohata.

If you want minimal cute (usually used right before someone is brutally slaughtered) and giblets there's your go-to-guy.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I usually roll my eyes at anime stills overlaid with text and used as "witty" messageboard barbs, but that image screams for a "PWNED!" or a "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" :lol:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Ah, Genocyber.

I forgot how gory that was. Another good example of gore-nime is M.D Giest...

No he isnt a doctor (M.D. stands for 'Most Dangerous Soldier', yes they did forget the S). He's basically a Space Marine already--a seven foot tall dude in uber power armor with a giant ass cannon-rifle-gun.
Kanye West Saves.

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

LordShaithis wrote:I usually roll my eyes at anime stills overlaid with text and used as "witty" messageboard barbs, but that image screams for a "PWNED!" or a "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" :lol:
I thought so to. I think I posted the OWNED version in the last Funny Pics thread.
Which was made by the same guy. But yeah, the first MD Geist is probably the least gory Ohata anime I've seen but even that had a guy getting his eyes popped out of his head.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:What about a more realistic style with a very drab color palette? Ala Witch Hunter Robin or the aforementioned Jin-Roh.
That would work out pretty well. I wouldn't mind it taking a page or two from Fullmetal Alchemist though. It played out some of the big cross-genre themes that 40k takes to extremes, such as loss of innocence, pretty well over the course of the series.

Actually, that might work out pretty well. A young but powerful psyker being trained in the Adeptus Telepathica is adopted into the retinue of an Inquisitor after defeating a daemon in a freak attack that severed his right arm. Story takes place in the Segmentum Ultima. We get to see the full range of the Imperium, from pastoral agri-worlds to the Tyrannid-scarred polar regions of Maccagre, to colony worlds near the Damocles Gulf where the Imperium and the Tau coexist tenuously.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

SylasGaunt wrote:
Which was made by the same guy. But yeah, the first MD Geist is probably the least gory Ohata anime I've seen but even that had a guy getting his eyes popped out of his head.
Last time I checked, MD Geist was a piece of junk, so I wouldn't call it a "good example". :P
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

It's heavy on action, light on plot. Kinda like your garden variety 80s action movie. He's right in that it's a good example of the kind of brutal, giblet-filled combat one can find in anime.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I would just like to add...

I watched 'Steamboy' earlier. I think that approximate style would be just about *perfect* for a 40K anime.

As you can see, the style would definitely work IMO... the movie itself wasn't too thrilling, but I couldn't help but see a strong resemblance between it and Imperium styles.

Just my 2c....
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Will the skulls still have the same gothic look?

In fact, will anime-gothic style need skulls?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Considering that the orbits in skulls are already surprisingly large even for real people, anime skulls rarely look unreal, imo.

That said, it isn't Warhammer if it doesn't have skulls everywhere. On the rank badges, on the shoulder patches, on the insignia, on the banners and on the refrigerator magnets.

It borders on a fetish :lol:

I've seen enough anime to attest it is possible to be anime without a single hint of super deformity anywhere. It can be done.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

My main concern with a hypothethical 40K anime regards not as much the aesthethics as much as whether or not the responsible people would try to "japanize" the 40Kverse itself either intentionally or as a subconscious result of being rather unfamiliar with the elements from Western culture which 40K is based upon (eg. the Roman Empire, Catholicism and whatnot).
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Do you have any examples in mind, or is this just an observation seen exclusively in Simonland?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The most common example of such a thing would be everyone, westerner and japanese alike bowing in the japanese manner rather than just shaking hands, even in otherwise well-researched shows like Planetes. But this is a rather minor gripe, imo.

For a counter-example, I point to Legend of Galactic Heroes, which pulls of what is essensially the Prussian Empire in space quite well.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

snicker, laugh, chortle, evil thought....

SAILOR CELESTINE!!!!

In the name of Terra and his immortal emproerer I will punish you!

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:snicker, laugh, chortle, evil thought....

SAILOR CELESTINE!!!!

It occurs to me, that the Lost in Space webcomic is sufficiently "anime-ish" to give us an idea of what a comedic WH40K anime would be like :P
I do know how to spell
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

AniThyng wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:snicker, laugh, chortle, evil thought....

SAILOR CELESTINE!!!!

It occurs to me, that the Lost in Space webcomic is sufficiently "anime-ish" to give us an idea of what a comedic WH40K anime would be like :P
so how does one remove a bolter shoved in sideways through someone's genetically superior posterior?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I think the best way to create a Warhammer 40,000 animated series is to use a style already present among the various printed materials. Make a few changes to bring the drawings to 'life', add colour (if necessary), and animate. It wouldn't really be anime, but I think that this is the best way to go about televising 40k.

Everything taken from the Games Workshop website.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/ulth ... arseer.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialgu ... rdsman.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialgu ... edfist.gif
http://uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/el ... ringer.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkeldar/ ... -art01.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/el ... ringer.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/m ... tealer.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/who-ar ... -cover.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/battle ... lesuit.jpg

There are a lot of different art styles in there, but there has to be something that could translate well into an animation of some sort.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
That was 10 kinds of awesome. I especially loved the music!
Chaos Gate - Ultramarine Chant. Fuckin' A!
Sweet. I don't mean to raise the dead, but I can't seem to find this cd.... or any way to get this music. (Is chaos gate a video game?) Can you tell me where I could get the cd, or maybe just an mp3 or wav file, please?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Seconded, I have "March into hell" and "Chaos gate" and it's fucking fantastic, can anyone tell me where I can also find it (Or Download it, if legal?).

Also is the first picture a Marine harvesting Geneseed?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
That was 10 kinds of awesome. I especially loved the music!
Chaos Gate - Ultramarine Chant. Fuckin' A!
Sweet. I don't mean to raise the dead, but I can't seem to find this cd.... or any way to get this music. (Is chaos gate a video game?) Can you tell me where I could get the cd, or maybe just an mp3 or wav file, please?
You know, you do have these wonderful little things called PMs...
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Peregrin Toker wrote:My main concern with a hypothethical 40K anime regards not as much the aesthethics as much as whether or not the responsible people would try to "japanize" the 40Kverse itself either intentionally or as a subconscious result of being rather unfamiliar with the elements from Western culture which 40K is based upon (eg. the Roman Empire, Catholicism and whatnot).
All the more reason the GW must be actively involved (The Last Unicorn, and Sin City level) in the project.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Rubberanvil wrote:All the more reason the GW must be actively involved (The Last Unicorn, and Sin City level) in the project.
I always figured their participation was always implied, or have some of you seriously been thinking that in the hypothetical situation where a WH40K anime was made, that GW would just hand their property over to a studio and not be involved in the production process or give a damn about the resulting product?

Last time I checked, that's generally not how it works...
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hey, you can't blame him for thinking that. Look at all the video game movies out there!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

AniThyng wrote:Considering that the orbits in skulls are already surprisingly large even for real people, anime skulls rarely look unreal, imo.

That said, it isn't Warhammer if it doesn't have skulls everywhere. On the rank badges, on the shoulder patches, on the insignia, on the banners and on the refrigerator magnets.

It borders on a fetish :lol:

I've seen enough anime to attest it is possible to be anime without a single hint of super deformity anywhere. It can be done.
Well, big eyes in anime are indicitave of innocence. If an anime studio "got" 40k, they wouldn't even try big eyes on most of the characters. Unless we see some citizens on a backwater agriworld getting slaughtered.

Or captured by Dark Eldar. That's the hentai series right there.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What? The Dark Eldar will rape the guys while they've been nailed to a giant spinning monolith that provides powers to their evil craftworlds? While the poor fuckers' are spinning so fast that their limbs and organs are flying off?

Hmmm... that'd be kinda cool to watch, though.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!