Sci-Fi guns (Exotic & Futuristic)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Sci-Fi guns (Exotic & Futuristic)

Post by Warspite »

Started reading Redliners by David Drake yesterday, the weapons he uses gave me the idea for this post.

So, other than lasers, lead bullets and particle beams, what can soldiers use in the future (near and far) for ammunition?
Let's hear your ideas for maihem and destruction!
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Not my own ideas:

Ork Shokk Attack Gun (WH40K) : transports a bunch of snotlings (really small orks) into the target.

The Duke Nuke'm 3D Shrink ray.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

The Kai Gun (WH40K). It uses hate and malice as ammo.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Flechette guns, plasma guns, deathwands :twisted:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Force Staffs (Fires gouts of concentrated and Lethal magnetic force), various contact poisions and gases
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Railguns, with osmium hyperpenetrating rounds.

The ice gun from Paranoia has always been a personal favorite of mine... the evidence just melts away.

TK guns from Rifts for similar reasons: probably out of place in this forum, but I'm sure something similar could be devised with force fields.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Plastic slivers. From an aliens book there was a gun that shaved off slivers from a plastic block and shot them really fast.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

neoolong wrote:Plastic slivers. From an aliens book there was a gun that shaved off slivers from a plastic block and shot them really fast.
Flechette gun variant.

A high-tech flamethrower could be useful. Low-powered laser to charge air, then a small gout of plasma (the ionization to prevent beam dispersal). Protecting the user from the heat would be the hard part...
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

sonic weapons ( guns that use sound to destroy)

Electromagnetic Pulse Weaponry ( can take out electronics and destroy military hardware)
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

The powerguns from Deathworld which fired explosive shells at a high rate were cute.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

what did the railgun from Eraser used? Aluminum?
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Photon blasters are used in a story I wrote. They fire bullets containing tiny amount of anti-matter. When they detonate they release very intense light and radiation.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Given the usual sci fi, the weapons are either matter, force, wave or occasionally physics altering.....

My perfered weapon would be the cheese cannon, that kills its target by teleporting a trillion tons of cheese on top of it.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Line Guns, whatever they are, from Iain M Banks' novels. Or a single Lazy Gun. :)
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I thought Lazy Gun! straight after reading SWPIGWANG's comment about cheese as well. I wonder if that was the intent?
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Air displacement rifles? Microwave guns? Some sort of ninja-star throwing thing?

Maybe instead of making exotic impractical weapons, you could just make them look superficially different? Or modifying on existing concepts. Like anti-personnel pistol bullets with HE enough to tear limbs off, or pasma guns with EMP or with wacky substances which give out a helluva lot of electricity, or a railgun which fires slugs which while in transit meets a chemical reaction which turns it to a semi-plasmatic and highly caustic state. Or low velocity weapons like muskets, but instead of balls of lead, you have balls of high explosives.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Air displacement rifles? Microwave guns? Some sort of ninja-star throwing thing?

Maybe instead of making exotic impractical weapons, you could just make them look superficially different? Or modifying on existing concepts. Like anti-personnel pistol bullets with HE enough to tear limbs off, or pasma guns with EMP or with wacky substances which give out a helluva lot of electricity, or a railgun which fires slugs which while in transit meets a chemical reaction which turns it to a semi-plasmatic and highly caustic state. Or low velocity weapons like muskets, but instead of balls of lead, you have balls of high explosives.
Oddly enough, that ninja star thing reminds me of the Eldar basic rifle from 40K.

Fires monomolecular edged shriukens at a rate of 3000-6000 rounds per minute. Though it requires reloading rather quickly on full auto.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Since lead bullets are prohibited I suggest that the soldier of the future uses an ordinary assault rifle and non-lead bullets, such as Lapua Naturalis (linky, see the hunting ammunition section) or Barnes Solids (linky). Sure they would cost more then common FMJ rounds, but they would still be a lot cheaper then developing a totaly new type of weapon.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Well, I like the concept of overkill firearms.

By overkill I mean : bullets having their own thrusters, shields to fight PD lasers and interceptors, sensor jamming, molecular manipulators and penaids to get through shields and armor, the ability for each bullet to fire microdrones that can do secondary tasks. Rifles with shitloads of different ammos and firing modes, recoiless exhaust, which provide the initial thrust, have their own sensors to feed the bullets with data, auxiliary sensor jamming and defenses, off-axis fire, semi-sentient AI...

Mhh good.
Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

Post by Techno_Union »

Gun of Command

Built by the Hapans in the SW galaxy, it is a mind control gun that once fired into a person, makes them highly prone to taking your suggestions.
Proud member of GALE Force.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

A gun that fires liquified metal slugs at several km/s, much like HEAT rounds. It only needs a strong firing chamber to withstand the detonation that forms the slug, and a even stronger barrel to prevent wear (a coilgun might solve this problem though, if the slug doesn't touch the barrel).

How about firing supercooled pellets of a substance at c-fractional speeds? Of course, if it's c-fractional, the mere air friction would heat them up enough to vaporization...
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Bolter

20mm Rapid Fire RPG Launcher.
Something similer to this, all be it a bit less 40k uberwank could be made.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

In one of the 'series' i wrote (Blackstar Chronicles) the Terran Hegemony developed recoiless 30mm Battle Rifles that fired fallout-free 'atomics', more precisely micro-nukes, that half-kiloton warheads. They were unguided, but rocket-assisted, with a range basically to the horizon.

Before everyone points out how 'wankish' tht is, yeah i know. But if you had to fight a race of hundred foot giants with metres thick armor and near-kiloton yeild pistols, you'll beg for one. In the context, it's perfectly logical :wink:
Kanye West Saves.

SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Just blast their planet into smoke if one wants to fight such giants. Much easier. :P :)