Just saw the Animatrix on Cartoon Network

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Seggybop wrote:They censored out a lot of 2nd Renaissance's coolness. Relatively annoying.

How can Detective Story not be liked? Do you also dislike Cowboy Bebop?
Bebop is overrated~ most of the series involves everyone going out of their way to be stylish. Detective Story is the same way, only worse. Little substance.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Hamel wrote:Bebop is overrated~ most of the series involves everyone going out of their way to be stylish. Detective Story is the same way, only worse. Little substance.
Considering the source of this comment.. I'd say justifying your claim that Bebop makes style out to be so important is something you should be doing.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

I really didnt like any of the Animatrix shorts.

The biggest problem is that they are 'serious', yet the sheer stupidity and bullshit makes it imposible to take them as such.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

kojikun wrote:
Hamel wrote:Bebop is overrated~ most of the series involves everyone going out of their way to be stylish. Detective Story is the same way, only worse. Little substance.
Considering the source of this comment.. I'd say justifying your claim that Bebop makes style out to be so important is something you should be doing.
Source of the comment? I watched the entire fucking series, I know what I'm talking about.

Are you one of those that worships everything Watanabe touches?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Source = Hamel, Kojikun means.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Source = Hamel, Kojikun means.
I know that. What the purpose of that backhanded comment was, I have no idea.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

What he means is that most of your posts often have more style than substance.

*myan*
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I liked The Second Renaissance... ;)

*myan*
It wasn't terrible, but the idea that the machines would be sensitive to an EMP yet immune to nuclear weapons leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. ;)

Aside from The Second Rennisance, I liked Detective Story, FFoTO and the Samurai one.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Hamel wrote: Bebop is overrated~ most of the series involves everyone going out of their way to be stylish. Detective Story is the same way, only worse. Little substance.
Hamel, I like you, but how anyone could possibly hate Cowboy Bebop is beyond me...
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What he means is that most of your posts often have more style than substance.

*charles*
So he means my posts are like Coyboy Bebop. Rock on
Kernel wrote:Hamel, I like you, but how anyone could possibly hate Cowboy Bebop is beyond me...
Saying it's overrated doesn't mean you hate it. There's only a select few anime that I despise, and Bebop isn't one of them.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Hamel wrote: Saying it's overrated doesn't mean you hate it. There's only a select few anime that I despise, and Bebop isn't one of them.
Let me rephrase that: How anyone could not love Cowboy Bebop is beyond me...

I mean hell, even my parents love Bebop and they HATE anime.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

The Kernel wrote:
Hamel wrote: Saying it's overrated doesn't mean you hate it. There's only a select few anime that I despise, and Bebop isn't one of them.
Let me rephrase that: How anyone could not love Cowboy Bebop is beyond me...

I mean hell, even my parents love Bebop and they HATE anime.
CB has a distinctly western flavor, like a biscuit filled with american cheese. A good dub only makes it easier for the uninitiated to watch the series.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I actually thought the premise for Matriculated was pretty cool (humans convincing machines to join them via immersion in a dream-state reverse matrix) but the style isn't very easy on the eyes...
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Matriculated was crap. The premise was interesting, but that whole fake Matrix part was just....ugh. And what the fuck was the end of that about?

I liked Program, the noir one, and the one with the "haunted" house.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Additionally, I didn't like the Japanese Samurai one, but's that's only because I'm not a fan of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work.
Yeah, that one was kind-of wierd. However, I did get a kick out of her decking him for it. :D

Kid's Story was pretty sad though. So was Matriculated. All those people died just to convert two damn robots to their cause. (And their designs look like something out of Descent 3 and Red Faction.) What suprised me was that they clearly showed nippiles and vagina lips in some scenes. Didn't bother me at all that they did it, but I was suprised that the FCC let it go...especially with it being on CN.

"World Record" was nothing but a waste of time. What a fucking stinking shit that one was. The detective one was just slightly better than WR, but not by much. It was just plain stupid. Why the hell would someone use DUAL 50's ERA MONITORS to hunt down a "master hacker" on the internet with a fucking TYPEWRITER?!
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Vertigo1 wrote: Kid's Story was pretty sad though.!
No it wasn't. The Kid is the same fucking Kid in Reloaded and Revolutions.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Vertigo1 wrote: Kid's Story was pretty sad though.!
No it wasn't. The Kid is the same fucking Kid in Reloaded and Revolutions.
I was thinking of the one with the little girl looking for her parents...and we end up seeing her still plugged in.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

I didn't mind the Matriculated style that much, but I've been watching a lot of Reign: The Conqueror recently and I guess I'm used to it. It's still very weird.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

My thoughts:

FFOtO had nice animation and action, but little more, kindda built for the eye candy, the sparring scene was quite pointless.

Second Renaissance was nicely animated and entertaining to watch once, but it was just too stupid and dumb to be taken seriously, just like the movies.

Program had the fighting and that, very matrixy, it made me yawn, I wanted the guy to win because of how predictable it all was from the beginning.

Beyond I thought was very nice, but very pointless as well.

World Record I actually liked, in part because it’s the first matrix related thing that doesn’t directly appeal to the 1337 katana philosopher h4x0r crowd, the animation could have been better, though.

Detective Story I liked, but if I watch it again I’m going to start liking it less.

The Kid, 1337 h4x0r who “believes” finds the matrix, blah, blah, blah.

Matriculated was awful, “deep” dialog, annoying character design, and shows how dumb the humans are, they say they can reprogram the machines but they don’t because of some bullshit dilemma, the machines want to kill us, so we make them believe we are so much better than themselves and make them fight against their own kind, which is the only real thing we want from them, not slaves, oh no, just guard dogs. So why not just copy the “believing” part from one to another and spare the hypocrisy?. Bullshit.
Strider119
Youngling

Post by Strider119 »

I liked final flight of the osiris

And i liked that fact that it carries over into the video game which in turn ties into the movies

I just thought that was a pretty cool bit of marketing on the devil brothers part.

As far as the mini-movies themselves, I liked second renaissance once i suspended a good portion of my disbelief, and i liked detective story and the samurai one

On a side note, did anyone else realize the kid in the one story where he skaeboards through the school and then frees himself from the matix was the kid from reloaded and revolutions? He is the one who thanks neo for freeing him when they first get to Zion, and Neo tells him that he freed himself.

Also did anyone read the comics? They are pretty good. Like the anime, they get into some pretty weird concepts of matrix and reality and whatnot. Much better than actaully watching the tripe known as Revolutions and Reloaded.

fit to be tied
strider119
Think you can cook? I got a grappling hook
Let's make this quick cuz I'm really booked
I'm a devious degenerate, defender of the devil
Shut down all the trash compactor's on the detention level

My backpack's got jets
I'm boba the fett
I bounty hunt for jaba hut
To finance my vette
I chill in deep space
A mask is over my face
I deliver the prize but I still narrow my eyes
Cuz my time I don't like to waste.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

ggs wrote:I really didnt like any of the Animatrix shorts.

The biggest problem is that they are 'serious', yet the sheer stupidity and bullshit makes it imposible to take them as such.
Damn right. The couple I somehow sat through are best summed up as FUCKING TERRIBLE. Even ignoring the dialogue and plot as my friend suggested, they sucked and watching other channels commercials was preferable.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Final Flight - Liked it, if only for the graphics. But it also bothered me, and led me to wonder why the Zionists use machine guns for weapons rather than some type of "emp mines."

Second Renaissance- I liked it- even though several parts were unbelievable(ex. why did they make all the robots to look the same- as if they were an enslaved human race or Marx's laborers? Why, as many have mentioned, don't the nukes work, in spite of the fact that they would probably level anything at ground zero and the emp would fry electronics within hundreds of miles), including the often-mocked Dark Storm, and (my question) why is it that they don't have robots( not necessarily intelligent) of their own fighting the robots? Plus of course the minor problem as to how the robots got resources for their war machine if they were blockaded.

But besides that, it was ok- except for the disturbing end part: The soldier in the mecha screaming "Oh god! Somebody help me!" after the machine weapon exposes him out of his mecha; the weird naked human crying as the machine shoves something into his head; and the little girl in the Matrix.

Kid's Story- Alright(once) but the graphics were kind of lame.

I can't remember the titles for the ones after it other than Detective Story and Matriculated, but I liked the Haunted House one with the star-cheeked girl.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

it was ok- except for the disturbing end part: The soldier in the mecha screaming "Oh god! Somebody help me!" after the machine weapon exposes him out of his mecha;
They censored the worst part of that-- the machine tentacle ripping the dude's torso out while his appendages remain stuck in the armor.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Strider119 wrote: On a side note, did anyone else realize the kid in the one story where he skaeboards through the school and then frees himself from the matix was the kid from reloaded and revolutions? He is the one who thanks neo for freeing him when they first get to Zion, and Neo tells him that he freed himself.
Imho he's useless character in Reloaded and Revolutions which screen time shouldn't have been wasted on him.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Seggybop wrote:
it was ok- except for the disturbing end part: The soldier in the mecha screaming "Oh god! Somebody help me!" after the machine weapon exposes him out of his mecha;
They censored the worst part of that-- the machine tentacle ripping the dude's torso out while his appendages remain stuck in the armor.
Did they censor the people tearing that robot woman apart?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin