Starship Troopers (Movie version) Vs. Jaffa

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Starship Troopers (Movie version) Vs. Jaffa

Post by Darksider »

1. Replace the bug army attacking the outpost on planet P with 2 to 3 thousand Jaffa

2. 3 or 4 million Jaffa against the forces landing on Klendathu.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Distance weapons, and the ability and willingness to occasionally use cover, combined with a much smaller target profile. To counter those advantages, the Jaffa are going to be slower, more vulnerable to injury from the MI guns, and lack the ability to tunnel every damned place.
Do Jaffa even have any sort of scaling/seige equipment to breach the wall of the outpost?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

consequences wrote:Distance weapons, and the ability and willingness to occasionally use cover, combined with a much smaller target profile. To counter those advantages, the Jaffa are going to be slower, more vulnerable to injury from the MI guns, and lack the ability to tunnel every damned place.
Do Jaffa even have any sort of scaling/seige equipment to breach the wall of the outpost?
The Jaffa have more effective and substantial close air support than the Bugs did. And they do have heavy guns which may be sufficient to demolish the flimsy walls of that fort.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Didnt the Jaffa also got some sort of gun emplacement also?

I remember an episode where are group of Jaffa were guarding a stargate so SG-1 had difficulties to escape. Correct me if im wrong but i believe they had one.

Anyway i think it can be used as a siege weapon

If the MI uses on of them mini nukes on the Jafa that will be a hell of a lot less Jafa. Actually im wondering why they didnt on planet P (i guess they didnt had one with them)
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

wautd wrote:Didnt the Jaffa also got some sort of gun emplacement also?

I remember an episode where are group of Jaffa were guarding a stargate so SG-1 had difficulties to escape. Correct me if im wrong but i believe they had one.

If the MI uses on of them mini nukes on the Jafa that will be a hell of a lot less Jafa. Actually im wondering why they didnt on planet P (i guess they didnt had one with them)
You're thinking of the gun towers in the season 3 opener "Into the Fire". Those worked quite well and were quite powerful by comparison to MI small arms fire. :) MI die hardcore. Hell, I bet a single Jaffa with a glider could take on the entire TF fleet with no problems at all. :D After all, if they can be blown to pieces by bug farts, what's to stop a glider? Their sonic cannons? :lol:
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Vertigo1 wrote:

You're thinking of the gun towers in the season 3 opener "Into the Fire".
Nope something else. Its been a while i saw that episode so i can be wrong. It was the same eposide where they shoot down a glider after which Teal'c uses the glider's plasma gun as a portible cannon (It was a bit like Arnold armed with an E.M.-gun in erasor 8) )
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

wautd wrote:
Vertigo1 wrote:

The "fifth man"? The one with an anlien prentendnig to be the fifth member of SG-1: a man named Tyler.

You're thinking of the gun towers in the season 3 opener "Into the Fire".
Nope something else. Its been a while i saw that episode so i can be wrong. It was the same eposide where they shoot down a glider after which Teal'c uses the glider's plasma gun as a portible cannon (It was a bit like Arnold armed with an E.M.-gun in erasor 8) )
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fuck, i screwed that up.

Watd. Are you thinking of "fifth man"? The one with an alien pretending to be the fifth member of SG-1: a man named Tyler.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Crazedwraith wrote:Fuck, i screwed that up.

Watd. Are you thinking of "fifth man"? The one with an alien pretending to be the fifth member of SG-1: a man named Tyler.
aye thats the one
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Vertigo1 wrote: You're thinking of the gun towers in the season 3 opener "Into the Fire". Those worked quite well and were quite powerful by comparison to MI small arms fire. :) MI die hardcore. Hell, I bet a single Jaffa with a glider could take on the entire TF fleet with no problems at all. :D After all, if they can be blown to pieces by bug farts, what's to stop a glider? Their sonic cannons? :lol:
The nukes and lasers on those ships should do fine :p

And at least that Bug Fart seems reasonably powerful unlike a few instances of Goa'uld bombardment I can think of.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Do the MI or Bugs have anything to counter Gliders/Akleshs?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Do the MI or Bugs have anything to counter Gliders/Akleshs?
The MI have close support fighter-bombers, which in addition to air to ground bombs and napalm have a pair of machine guns, IIRC.

The bugs have those big flying beetles which could kamikaze themselves into the gliders.
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Machine guns and kamikazi bugs probably aren't going to be enough against Gliders, and against an Alkesh would just be patheticly funny.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

justifier wrote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Do the MI or Bugs have anything to counter Gliders/Akleshs?
The MI have close support fighter-bombers, which in addition to air to ground bombs and napalm have a pair of machine guns, IIRC.
Were these ever shown in the movie?
The bugs have those big flying beetles which could kamikaze themselves into the gliders.

I doubt their velocity would be enough to do damage (and the Glider's excellent performance means they can dodge).
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
justifier wrote:
The fighters were used to drop napalm on planet P, the second planet the MI attacked.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

They're on the decks of the fleet ships, during the collision that occured in the Klendathu attack you can seem them exploding on the flight decks. They're also in a quite nice looking scene on Planet P when they cook a shitload of bugs.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/