Anybody know anything about this new show on Sci-Fi?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Anybody know anything about this new show on Sci-Fi?

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, I was channel surfing while waiting on SG-1 (damn, that show's addictive!), and lo and behold, I come up on this new show on Sci-Fi...

It's called Andromeda; apparently it was based upon a concept by Gene Roddenberry, and it's being produced by his wife and another guy. I only saw chunks of today's ep (I was watchin' some TNG too...), but i was intrigued.

I was wondering what y'all think...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Watched the pilot movie last week and part of tonight's episode. Didn't really pirk my interest much.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

Post by GoldenFalcon »

It's actually a show that was once on the WB, but have no idea how it got to Sci-Fi. The first two seasons are pretty cool, but many say that the third season and beyond sucked...

Hmm.
Babylon 5: In the Beginning quote:

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

Coming soon: Firebird Productions
Kerneth
Jedi Knight

Post by Kerneth »

I caught the pilot and this first "new" Sci-fi episode. It's...interesting, but a bit hard to follow since I didn't see the intervening UPN seasons.

Has utterly ridiculous weapons as standard-issue for the "High Guard" troops, these cylindrical things that extend into a quarterstaff-type weapon but also shoot energy bolts. I begin to suspect that Gene Roddenberry had a rule that required that the standard weapons for the "good guys" be as poorly-designed as possible. On the other hand, the Andromeda Ascendant is sure a pretty ship, which I've also come to expect from a Roddenberry series.
"The best part of losing your mind is not missing it."
Mr. Sinister
Padawan Learner

Re: Anybody know anything about this new show on Sci-Fi?

Post by Mr. Sinister »

Elheru Aran wrote:Well, I was channel surfing while waiting on SG-1 (damn, that show's addictive!), and lo and behold, I come up on this new show on Sci-Fi...

It's called Andromeda; apparently it was based upon a concept by Gene Roddenberry, and it's being produced by his wife and another guy. I only saw chunks of today's ep (I was watchin' some TNG too...), but i was intrigued.

I was wondering what y'all think...
Enjoy it now, because come the second season it all goes down hill. A real shame though. It had a lot of potential.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

The show was on WB for its entire lifespan (is it even dead yet?) and is now on Sci-fi. Much like E:FC. It's a good show, in the beginning. A bit kitsch, but overall it was good. Then the writer quit and the thing turned to shit.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
m112880
Padawan Learner

Post by m112880 »

its been on a few different stations. I userally watch it sunday night on WGN. Its a good show. The first season was good but i missed about half of the second and have been lost since.
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Andromeda was never on the WB or UPN. It is on WGN and Fox.
The first two seasons are pretty cool, but many say that the third season and beyond sucked...
There were about 3 (+/- 1) episodes in Season 3 that were extremely good (some of the show's best), but otherwise S3 and S4 have been terrible so far.
Has utterly ridiculous weapons as standard-issue for the "High Guard" troops, these cylindrical things that extend into a quarterstaff-type weapon but also shoot energy bolts. I begin to suspect that Gene Roddenberry had a rule that required that the standard weapons for the "good guys" be as poorly-designed as possible. On the other hand, the Andromeda Ascendant is sure a pretty ship, which I've also come to expect from a Roddenberry series.
They're the side arms used by security forces, not main combat weapons (they've got things like gauss machine guns for combat). Also, they don't fire energy bolts. Well, they can shoot plasma bolts or discharge electricity, but they are primarily used to launch effectors. Effectors are explosive, hypersonic homing bullets. They are exceptionally fast and accurate, and can even intercept other hypersonic gauss gun rounds. The Force Lance has a holographic sight, so that's why you don't see a physical sight on the F-Lance. Also, if someone does want to use a Force Lance in combat for whatever reason, it has a pistol-like grip for use in those situations.
(is it even dead yet?)
No. The show has been greenlighted for a fifth season.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The first season was good and the first half of the second season was good. What went wrong after that? Hercules, I mean Kevin Sorbo complained that he didn't like continuity so they fired the executive producer who had been writing the plots and keeping things in order and opted for episodes that are entirely self contained and have little bearing on anything else.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Actually, season 4 is heavily arc based. That doesn't help anything though, since the show lost its three best writers and hired a new show runner who is utterly incompetant. The edicts from above that they focus on action at the expense of interesting characters didn't help matters, either.
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

Wait so let me get the straight The one on sci-fi is different from The one that use to come on the WB?
"The point of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Gen. George Patton.
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Tragic wrote:Wait so let me get the straight The one on sci-fi is different from The one that use to come on the WB?
No, its reruns of the episodes that originally aired on WB(and it was on WB where I lived)
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

justifier wrote:
Tragic wrote:Wait so let me get the straight The one on sci-fi is different from The one that use to come on the WB?
No, its reruns of the episodes that originally aired on WB(and it was on WB where I lived)
Sci-Fi is also airing the current season.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
justifier wrote:
Sci-Fi is also airing the current season.
Well, yeah but it's still the same show
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Like everyone said, started out good, then started to suck ass. Which is a damn shame. Damn Kevin Sorbo. Damn him to hell.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Andumbeda is a cobbled-together recycling of two of Gene Roddenberry's old series concepts: Genesis II and Starship. Mostly the former. Dylan Hunt was orignially a NASA astronaut in G2 who volunteered for a cryonics experiment located in a government lab in San Francisco —which was subsequently struck by the Big One everybody's been predicting since 1906 and Hunt in his cryotube is buried in the rubble. Come 300 years later, Hunt is revived by scientists of the Pax organisation. Pax are one of the few remaining enclaves of technological civilisation in a world which was wracked by a series of wars not long after the Big One buried Hunt and which resulted in the world falling into barbarism. Hunt joins Pax and their mission to try to rebuild global civilisation and put man back on the path to the stars. The first pilot attempt was made for CBS in 1974 and starred Alex Cord as Dylan Hunt and Mariette Hartley. Needless to say, the series didn't sell. Around 1980, a second pilot was mounted —this time retitled Earth II— following the same basic plotline and this time starring All Time Evil Actor John Saxon in the Dylan Hunt role. Pilot II bombed as well.

Starship didn't even make it beyond the conceptual stage. A precusor to Star Trek: The Next Generation, it centred around a crew of Gene's Perfect Utopian Humans™ exploring strange new worlds and meeting new civilisations and lifeforms aboard a starship with a sentient central computer. You may have seen drawings of this craft: featuring a long, spindly hullform surrounded by two large rings which connected to the main craft via a long cantilevered pylon (in the Decker/Ilia rec room scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture the concept drawing of the Spinnaker is featured as a previous space vessel carrying the name Enterprise).

These had been mouldering away in Roddenberry's files when Majel found them, dusted them off, and had Robert Hewitt Wolfe kludge them together and wedded this Frankenstein's monster to a generic galactic war vision. Andumbeda was yet another product of the Roddenberry Recycling Programme —that is until its braindead star Kevin Hercules got control and remade the show in his own image; rendering it similarly braindead.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Patrick Degan wrote:Starship didn't even make it beyond the conceptual stage. A precusor to Star Trek: The Next Generation, it centred around a crew of Gene's Perfect Utopian Humans™ exploring strange new worlds and meeting new civilisations and lifeforms aboard a starship with a sentient central computer. You may have seen drawings of this craft: featuring a long, spindly hullform surrounded by two large rings which connected to the main craft via a long cantilevered pylon (in the Decker/Ilia rec room scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture the concept drawing of the Spinnaker is featured as a previous space vessel carrying the name Enterprise).
Perhaps Roddenberry recycled the design for Starship, but the ship you speak of is one of the very early concept designs for the original Enterprise done by Matt Jefferies for TOS.

But of course, you already knew that. :P