Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-14 11:10pm
Official Dave Barry Clone

CERC wrote:
nice
my favorite line of the entire collection is still:

"Speaking of philosophy," Kalib said, "anyone have a large object I can beat someone with?"

followed closely by:

"...and a handle was attached to a small fusion generator for him to power it, meaning that Kalib now technically qualified as mobile artillery."

Kalib is another fun character to write. :)

CERC wrote:
but both will be trumped with:

"and with a flurry of movement and a precise strike, the lightsaber sliced through that stupid bitch janeway's neck...." or something to that effect.

Well, we'll find out in a couple of hours. ;)

Chuck

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-14 11:15pm
Jedi Council Member

Well done, Sonnenburg. Many, many surprises in this story, but I've grown to expect the unexpected in your writing, which makes it great.

However, seeing the Borg as all business (...including the fruit baskets, that was just hilarious) was the most unexpected, and admittedly, I didn't see the death or Jorri or Morgan coming, and it interwove well with the plot.

I can't wait to see all the story parts in the Completed fanfic forum, you certainly deserve it!

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-15 12:44am

rhoenix wrote:
Well done, Sonnenburg. Many, many surprises in this story, but I've grown to expect the unexpected in your writing, which makes it great.

Thank you.

rhoenix wrote:
However, seeing the Borg as all business (...including the fruit baskets, that was just hilarious) was the most unexpected, and admittedly, I didn't see the death or Jorri or Morgan coming, and it interwove well with the plot.

I've often quoted David Gerrold when it comes to Sebastian's life, because his philosophy fits this poor guy's character: the hero has to hurt. Because if he doesn't hurt, why should we care?

rhoenix wrote:
I can't wait to see all the story parts in the Completed fanfic forum, you certainly deserve it!

Thank you very much. :)

The final part of the series is Dawn of Forever, of which the original is wrapping up in about twenty minutes, but I do plan to release a "redux" of it hopefully tomorrow, mostly cleaning up typos and also adding in things that I had to omit to avoid spoilers for the previous re-writes.

Chuck

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-16 03:59pm
Jedi Council Member

Just one more story left to read. Chuck, you've turned reading into a marathon!

Artillery. Its what's for dinner.

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-16 05:21pm
Emperor's Hand

Hey random question, but did you ever explain how Kalib survired assimilation in SotN? IIRC You finished a scene with a S8472 drone nanoprobing him and then the next time we see him he's fine and dandy.

Banner By JME2
EBC - The Limey Bastards

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-16 06:04pm
Jedi Council Member

Crazedwraith wrote:
Hey random question, but did you ever explain how Kalib survired assimilation in SotN? IIRC You finished a scene with a S8472 drone nanoprobing him and then the next time we see him he's fine and dandy.

At least in the redo, there's a scene where he injects himself with some sort of nanoprobe counter agent.

Artillery. Its what's for dinner.

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-16 08:28pm
Jedi Council Member

Arrow wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:

At least in the redo, there's a scene where he injects himself with some sort of nanoprobe counter agent.

I'm not going back to reread it so I could be wrong, but I'm sure Kalib crushed the hypospray before injecting himself, so it was his immune system alone that fought the nanoprobes off.

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-16 10:35pm

Arrow wrote:
Just one more story left to read. Chuck, you've turned reading into a marathon!

Hey, trying writing it, then you know what a marathon really is. :)

Chuck

Post subject:  PostPosted: 2006-06-16 10:37pm

bilateralrope wrote:
Arrow wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:

I'm not going back to reread it so I could be wrong, but I'm sure Kalib crushed the hypospray before injecting himself, so it was his immune system alone that fought the nanoprobes off.

What happened was that Kalib pulled out an instrument to help enhance his immune system (it's not a hypospray, though). He held it in place for a while, but he did accidentally break it, but fortunately it was enough to help his robust defenses eventually overcome the nanoprobes, although not by much.

Chuck