River vs Beatrix Kiddo

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

River vs Beatrix Kiddo

Post by Enforcer Talen »

What do you think? Precog and training vs unreal survival skills and training.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Re: River vs Beatrix Kiddo

Post by Mobiboros »

Enforcer Talen wrote:What do you think? Precog and training vs unreal survival skills and training.
Beatrix Kiddo.

Beatrix took on the Crazy 88 (also highly trained martial artists) with a sword. Then took out their boss. Then went ahead and killed many other highly skilled martial artists.

River beat the hell out of a bunch of drunks and crazies.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Tarantino took reality and urinated on it. Even by the anime-standards he ripped off it was unrealistic.

The Bride.
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Stormbringer wrote:Tarantino took reality and urinated on it. Even by the anime-standards he ripped off it was unrealistic.
Have you see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? House of Flying Daggers? Hero? Tarantino was no more unrealistic than any other hong-kong styled action flick. Hell, at least no one could nearly fly in Kill Bill, or make daggers turn in mid air, of block thousands of arrows with a sleeves.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Mobiboros wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Tarantino took reality and urinated on it. Even by the anime-standards he ripped off it was unrealistic.
Have you see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? House of Flying Daggers? Hero? Tarantino was no more unrealistic than any other hong-kong styled action flick. Hell, at least no one could nearly fly in Kill Bill, or make daggers turn in mid air, of block thousands of arrows with a sleeves.
And I said that they're realistic when? The simple fact is they're not at all.

When you have a universe that has it's physics determined by what looks cool it's just not going to compare to a realistic or largely realistic one.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Wuxia is all about bending reality. Beatrix Kiddo could bitch River.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Beatrix all the vay. We've seen her slaying dozens of assasins at the same time (all of them with swords). She even lifted one in the air after stabing him with her katana, meaning that she is stronger than River. She has her five steps death touch.

River stands no chance
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I don't get it.

River shoots her.

Game over.

The sword lameness only works in the 'revenge/vendetta' idiom of the movies: call me nuts, but give me a shotgun and I'LL kill the Bride.

Remember, they're called the 'Crazy 88s' because they're IDIOTS.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

And, of course, River butchered a pack of vicious warriors without a scratch, who, although less numerous than the Crazy 88, also had guns.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Here's a thought, what if River had Access to Wu Xia physics?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Rules of wuxia universes, guns aren't worth shit. And plus, lets not forget that Beatrix Kiddo has lived through being repeatedly shot, and then "executed".
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

weemadando wrote:Rules of wuxia universes, guns aren't worth shit. And plus, lets not forget that Beatrix Kiddo has lived through being repeatedly shot, and then "executed".
She was also trained to use guns, she only preferred a sword to use in a vendetta against Bill because the guy who made tha sword (Hanzo) has a specific hatred of Bill. Plus, it was an homage to Lone Wolf and Cub.

I still maintain what River did wasn't that impressive. In the Fierfly context she was an ass kicking machine, but in the end she only beat up a bunch of drunks and some berserkers who evidenced no specific fighting skills other than being crazy.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

HemlockGrey wrote:And, of course, River butchered a pack of vicious warriors without a scratch, who, although less numerous than the Crazy 88, also had guns.
The Bride took on, as I recall, 43 Crazies at one time. She also fought two small groups of perhaps half a dozen of them seperately. I don't think there's any way to know how many reavers River killed.
delicious pies
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

weemadando wrote:Rules of wuxia universes, guns aren't worth shit. And plus, lets not forget that Beatrix Kiddo has lived through being repeatedly shot, and then "executed".
How is this relevant? The movies are about the Bride as the righteous retribution on those who 'killed' her: she is not fucking invincible. She's not going to get the 'avenge the evil traitors' quickening from a teenage girl. She got pwnzored by guns, she didn't laugh at them HA! HA! and cut her mates up: she went down like a sack of shit. At shotgun loaded with ROCK SALT floors her. A shotgun loaded with LEAD would have put a nice hole in her torso.

But hey, I didn't know vs threads took place under the rules of one of the offending universes. :roll: