Are Buffy vamps the weakest?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Are Buffy vamps the weakest?

Post by Demiurge »

Seriously. Take into account all the different levels. Weakling lamers, tougher ones like Angel, and the really old guys.

Are there any that are weaker?

Don't say Sesame Street vamps. We don't know how powerful they are.
delicious pies
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'd say the Dusk-til-Dawn vamps are the weakest. They don't have the speed of buffy vamps, and can't hide their appearance for the most part. Plus, their bodies are less durable.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Don't forget that The Count went out during Daylight, so he's more powerful then Spike or Angel.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

few other vampires will wither to ash at the simple touch of a stake to the heart. . .notice that the stakes rarely penetrate very deeply.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Blade vamps are on par with Buffy vamps. Any one of their weaknessess is basically an instant kill in most cases (See: Blade 2). That and new weaknessess keep being devised for them. One of the weaknessess of Biological vamps is that they get more biological weaknessess. (Also, Blade 2, anti-coagulants)
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Underworld Vampires are definitely below Buffy Vamps. Thank you Victor for providing a reall bad southern accent and showing that ANY damage to the brain will kill a vampire.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Majin Gojira wrote:Blade vamps are on par with Buffy vamps. Any one of their weaknessess is basically an instant kill in most cases (See: Blade 2). That and new weaknessess keep being devised for them. One of the weaknessess of Biological vamps is that they get more biological weaknessess. (Also, Blade 2, anti-coagulants)
Huh? No. They're faster and more durable.

Quinn was burned, impaled, and fell 10+ stories through the roof of an ambulence. He could still run after all this.

Worse yet he was completely healed after a few days.

Deacon Frost dodged bullets. Enough said.

Blade's also done some impressive things. As in firing the stake gun without arm-related injury, and grabbing onto a moving train without the same. Any reason why he would be stronger than a regular vamp?
delicious pies
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I think Blade vamps are definetly stronger than Buffy vamps, even though they may have more weaknesses, for the reasons all stated above.

I haven't seen Dusk-till-Dawn, so I figure the Underworld vamps take this one.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Darth_Zod wrote:few other vampires will wither to ash at the simple touch of a stake to the heart. . .notice that the stakes rarely penetrate very deeply.
magic effects here.

Although the Buffy-Dralcula kept on respawning after getting staked. That was a very funny scene:

*Buffy stakes Dralcula*
*Dralcula's ashes come back and reforms into Dralcula*
*Buffy stakes again, Dralcula gets dusted*
*dust respawns Dralcula a few more times*
*Buffy stakes Dralcula for the fifth or so time*
*ashes start to gather*
Buffy: "You know, I'm still here. . ."
*ashes drop back onto ground*
*Buffy leaves*
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Blade 1 vamps yes, they were tougher...

Blade 2 vamps are almost an entirely different species, and I'm not talking about the reapers.

Silver inserted into the bloodstream = Instant dusting (in multiple cases)

Total coverage sunlight = Instant Dusting (in several cases)

Then there was the Anti-Coagulant stuff. Didn't work on the reapers, but judging how they did react, we can extrapolate how a normal vamp would react.
Browncoat

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Actually, to quote the scene in question:

After the initial staking...
Shot of the bottom of the stairs. The fog appears and begins to converge.

As soon as Dracula has fully appeared, a hand appears and stakes him again. He gasps.

BUFFY: You think I don't watch your movies? (rolling her eyes) You always come back.

Dracula explodes into dust again. Buffy folds her arms and watches.

The fog begins to collect again.

BUFFY VO: I'm standing right here!

The fog dissipates.
man I love that scene...

Also, the minion vampires in the Universal series of films seem weaker/on par with Buffy vamps. I don't know enough about Hammer's vampires to accuratly comment on them, but the appear to be in the same boat...
Browncoat

Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

That's some seriously shitty continuity. In the first movie Blade said that only a shot to the chest or head would be effective. Hell, Quinn was shot in the shoulders with silver stakes. I think that would hit the blood stream. :roll:

I'll have to see the film before passing judgement.
delicious pies
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I should note that they now use Silver Nitrate rounds, so it will get to the heart and brain. (then, of course, we have Blade stake a poor vamp in the crotch for instant dusting, so bam to that)

Furthermore, in blade 1, I distinctly remember Blade snapping the neck of a vampire and killing him that way. (it was durring the temple scene).

I still think Blade 2 is a superior film, because the Reapers just rock. I love they're jaws!
Browncoat

Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Oh, I get it now. The silver has to reach the heart. Sure.

And yes, a neck was snapped. He disintegrated.
delicious pies
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Demiurge wrote:Oh, I get it now. The silver has to reach the heart. Sure.

Err, are you sure about that? I recall lots of them having necks snapped in the la magra temple, but none of them being dusted, just being tossed about by blade (presumably being incapacitated until they heal) but i can check again if need be.
Then there was the Anti-Coagulant stuff. Didn't work on the reapers, but judging how they did react, we can extrapolate how a normal vamp would react.
EDTA was the anticoagulant, and was used several times in blade 1, including to kill La Magra at the end. They blew up, much like one of the henchmen in Big Trouble In Little China.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Speaking of Dracula, I wonder how the Lugosi version would compare with Buffy's prince of darkness-bator. They're basically the same, as I understand.
delicious pies
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Rye wrote:
Demiurge wrote:Oh, I get it now. The silver has to reach the heart. Sure.

Err, are you sure about that? I recall lots of them having necks snapped in the la magra temple, but none of them being dusted, just being tossed about by blade (presumably being incapacitated until they heal) but i can check again if need be.
It took a second for him to dust. That could be the case with the others. Blade broke his neck and tossed him to the side. The camera panned as he fell to the ground and turned to dust.

Of course that was a fast-paced scene. I might have missed something.
delicious pies
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Just watched the scene again. Yup. Blade did exactly two things to the guy.

1. Punched him in the gut.
2. Grabbed his head and twisted.

The vamp then fell off the platform and dusted.
delicious pies
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Dusk Till Dawn Vampires are absolutely pathetic. The top 50 posters on this board could kick their asses with the proper weaponry.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Joe wrote:Dusk Till Dawn Vampires are absolutely pathetic. The top 50 posters on this board could kick their asses with the proper weaponry.
ROFL. Now there's a funny mental image.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Even having never seen the movie, I'll agree that DTD vampires are weaker. Anything that fragile would be in bad shape after falling from a 15th-story window, like Angel did.
delicious pies
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Silver shouldnt effect vampires anyway, if i recall they have something similar to telekinesis, shouldnt they just 'catch' the bullets in midflight like Neo or something.
Kanye West Saves.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

What the hell kinda vampires are you talkin' about? TK? Where did THAT come from?
Browncoat

SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

Probably one of those lame Anime vampires like Tsukime or Hellsing(or whatever they are called).
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

So tired of everything being compared to fucking anime masturbation.
delicious pies