Godzilla Movie Hiatus?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Godzilla Movie Hiatus?

Post by neoolong »

KJB wrote:It looks like Godzilla may be getting ready to take a long break. The iconic movie monster may be making his last appearance later this year.

"We have done all we can to showcase Godzilla, including using computer-graphics technology. And yet we haven't attracted new fans," said Shogo Tomiyama, Executive Producer for Toho Productions in an interview with The Associated Press. "So we will make the 50th anniversary film something special, a best-of-the-best, and then end it for now."

By Hollywood standards, the films are a bargain. Even though the films have been reaching an increasingly narrow audience of children and die-hard fans, none of the films have cost over $9 million (although the budget for Final Wars is said to top that amount) and have managed to gross far more than that around the world in general release and on home video. The Japanese films have managed to resist the trend of replacing physical effects with computer-generated graphics, instead relying an ever-increasingly complicated suit to bring the monster to life. Hollywood's own attempt to bring the creature to film, 1998's Godzilla, was nothing short of a cinematic disaster that had none of the charm of the Toho films, one of the major factors cited by audiences and critics alike in their general disgust for the film.

This isn't the first time Godzilla has pondered taking a long vacation. When box office numbers began to slump in the late '60s, Toho planned to send the Big G out on a high note in 1968's Destroy All Monsters, a film that would see Godzilla battle almost every giant monster that ever made an appearance. When fans flocked to see the giant monster battle royale, Toho decided to keep the franchise alive. It's no accident that the film being touted as Godzilla's last for at least a decade is following the same formula. Godzilla: Final Wars is shrouded in secrecy but is rumored to feature the giant monster battle to end all giant monster battles. Set for release in December in Japan with a U.S. release to follow, could the fans keep the franchise alive again?
Source.

Damn it. That kind of sucks. Hopefully Final Wars is really good though.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Maybe if Tristar actaully released the 90s godzilla movies in the friggen 90s... :roll:

But hopefull Final War will spark interest. If not we only seen the last of him for 10 years. He'll be back.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Darth_Shinji wrote:Maybe if Tristar actaully released the 90s godzilla movies in the friggen 90s... :roll:

But hopefull Final War will spark interest. If not we only seen the last of him for 10 years. He'll be back.
If anyone would have bothered to show G vs Biolante in US theaters we wouldn't have had to wait so long for all the movies to hit video. I'm also still pissed that I missed Godzilla 1985 in the theater because I didn't go opening weekend. :x

I just had my parents and sister watch GMK this week. My Dad's comment was, "that was actually pretty good".

It's not my favorite of the newer G films but it is the best developed and produced.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.