Superfriends vs. Justice league

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

Superfriends vs. Justice league

Post by GoldenFalcon »

This one should be better than my last.

Yall are familiar with the Superfriends and the Justice league. Who would win, the Old-fashioned Hanna Barbera superheroes or the Neo-WB ones?
Babylon 5: In the Beginning quote:

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

Coming soon: Firebird Productions
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

WTF?!

Superfriends get wiped. No contest... I have always maintained that guys do NOT look good in tights!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

They're about the same, but the Wonder Twins are the deciding factor here.

"Wonder Twin powers, activate! Form of: incestuous couple!"
delicious pies
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Uhhhh...Superfriends have cosmic Superman, the JL is in serious poodoo.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Oddysseus
Padawan Learner
Location: Operating secretly in the heartland of the Homeland.

Post by Oddysseus »

Stravo wrote:Uhhhh...Superfriends have cosmic Superman, the JL is in serious poodoo.
Yeah this is the SUperman who once grabbed the Earth and pushed it out of a black hole (imagine those 2 factors). Heck, just imagine the physics involved in placing your hands against the Earth's surface and pushing it against the gravity curve, and have some affect...has your brain overloaded yet?
- Odd Jack, Jaded Skeptic
--- jadedskeptic.blogspot.com
- "The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."
"The universe is a strange and wondrous place. The truth is quite odd enough to need no help from pseudoscientific charlatans." - Richard Dawkins
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Oddysseus wrote:
Stravo wrote:Uhhhh...Superfriends have cosmic Superman, the JL is in serious poodoo.
Yeah this is the SUperman who once grabbed the Earth and pushed it out of a black hole (imagine those 2 factors). Heck, just imagine the physics involved in placing your hands against the Earth's surface and pushing it against the gravity curve, and have some affect...has your brain overloaded yet?
some of Superman's powers are explained by the fact that his body emits a kind of forcefield (explains the ineffectiveness of energy-weapons against him as well as kinetic weaponry)
ArchMage
Youngling

Post by ArchMage »

well if voyager can blow a hole in the event horizon of a blackhole, im sure superman can easily push the earth out of one :P
when someone starts talking about good and evil, keep one hand on your wallet

There is no problem so insurmountable that cannot be solved with the proper application of high explosives
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Given Superfriends used Silver Age Supes...it's all over...I don't care if you arm yourself with uber-Kryptonite gun.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Speaking of the "superfriends" did anyone catch those cartoon network spoofs that were on a year or two ago? I always got a kick out of brainic's pleading "All I'm asking for is a pair of pants.... a DECENT pair of pants!.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Yeah, that was like some kind of promo, wasn't it?

BTW, JLA would lose. It's like everyone else is saying, Silver Age Superman would own all.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I once had this comic from the centerfold of a Wizard magazine. Due to some strange metaphysical vortex, some of the League were swapped with their equivalents of the Superfriends.

In the Superfriends' universe: "look, those guys are all dark and mean, they must be supervillians. In the form of... a gerbil!"
"In the form of... an ice eggbeater!"
"Oh no, they're immune to our superpowers!"

At this point "dark" Green Lantern proceeds to kick their asses (without using the ring), meanwhile, "light" Superman was in the League's universe, and a similar thing was happening. So he faces the "fourth wall" and says "remember kids, violence is wrong, yadda yadda yadda" :)

Very funny, I'd kill for a scan of that thing.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Oddysseus wrote:
Shouldn't the Earth fall to pieces or something under the tremendous stresses? :roll:
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Trogdor wrote:
Oddysseus wrote:
Shouldn't the Earth fall to pieces or something under the tremendous stresses? :roll:
The basic concept of Superman is that he can do anything.
delicious pies
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Something to do with special powers so that it's not just his hands exerting the pressure or something. Don't take my word for it though.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

Post by GoldenFalcon »

Demiurge wrote:
Trogdor wrote:
Oddysseus wrote: Yeah this is the SUperman who once grabbed the Earth and pushed it out of a black hole (imagine those 2 factors). Heck, just imagine the physics involved in placing your hands against the Earth's surface and pushing it against the gravity curve, and have some affect...has your brain overloaded yet?
The basic concept of Superman is that he can do anything.
If Superman can do anything, then why does he not go about as a lone ranger?
Babylon 5: In the Beginning quote:

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

Coming soon: Firebird Productions
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Trogdor wrote:
Oddysseus wrote:
Tactile TK is the most common factor of why.

Course then again this is ranging in the near insane given you're asking the far lesser of the two insanities.

I would be asking how is Superman defying a Black Hole...let alone moving the Earth.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

GoldenFalcon wrote: If Superman can do anything, then why does he not go about as a lone ranger?
I prefer him that way, to be truthful. He's powerful enough on his own. No need to put him on a team with other gods.

And the what I wrote above was the writers' reasoning, not a justification.
delicious pies
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I guess it comes down to who conveniently forgets about superpowers in order to further the plot. Like in the JL episode where Grodd launched missiles at Gorilla City. Earlier in the episode, the Green Lantern had generated a force field to block rocket fire from the police, but when he took out one of the ICBMs, the debris knocked him out.
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

GoldenFalcon wrote: If Superman can do anything, then why does he not go about as a lone ranger?
With Superman around there was no point in having anyone else on the team. Name one problem that a bat-shaped boomerang could solve that Superman couldn't solve in one billionth of the time. Besides helping the elderly who want to have sex with a bat-shaped boomerang, and good luck finding one of those-- I've tried. If Chuck Norris' copdog sidekick had all its legs removed and then you glued its mouth shut, you have a vague understanding of how useful the rest of the team was to Superman.
Click here for a great comic.

And the rest of the article.