Favorite Warcraft hero?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Favorite Warcraft hero?

Post by Lancer »

If you could become one of the many warcraft heroes (barring post-Warcraft III arthas and Demon Illidan), who would you be?
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I wouldn't want to be most of the WC III heroes because most of them are dumbasses who don't know what they're doing. The few heroes who do know what it takes to win have character issues or even turn evil.

I actually found myself agreeing with Arthas throughout most of the human campaign. Despite how it was portrayed, I thought he was justified in slaying the population of Stratholme, who would've turned into zombies anyway. Uther and Jaina were apparently too stupid to realize this little fact. However, Arthas ends up turning into a deranged psycho as the campaign goes on, so he's off my list of cool characters.

The Night Elves are just a bunch of dumbasses. Each and every one of them. We have Illidan, the magic-addict who holds no loyalty to anyone or anything. Tyrande actually murdered her fellow Night Elves to free that asshole, despite the fact that he had already betrayed them to the Legion long ago. Furion is a softy who repeatedly lets his brother go, even though he admitted in TFT that he was weak for doing so. The one Night Elf hero that wasn't stupid or soft was Maiev, but her one-tracked mind (Must get Illidan!!!) makes her unlikable.

The Undead and Burning Legion heroes are mostly mindless slaves or lackies. I did admire the deviousness of some of the Dreadlords, though I wouldn't want to be them.

That leaves the Orcs. Grom Hellscream was seduced by the Legion, but ended up redeeming himself. He also ended up dead. I guess the one WC hero I wouldn't mind being would be Thrall, who's neither a pussy, dumbass, or immoral bastard.
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

The Beastmaster. A loner but loyal to the Horde.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Jim Raynor wrote:I actually found myself agreeing with Arthas throughout most of the human campaign. Despite how it was portrayed, I thought he was justified in slaying the population of Stratholme, who would've turned into zombies anyway. Uther and Jaina were apparently too stupid to realize this little fact. However, Arthas ends up turning into a deranged psycho as the campaign goes on, so he's off my list of cool characters.
Actually, I don't think that uther and Jaina couldn't see Arthas' point about Stratholme, but that their morality made me refuse to do it. I know I felt like a First-Class monster during that mission, myself. I just found the whole idea to be abhorrent, even though had I been given that situation for real, I'd have probably done it too.
That leaves the Orcs. Grom Hellscream was seduced by the Legion, but ended up redeeming himself. He also ended up dead. I guess the one WC hero I wouldn't mind being would be Thrall, who's neither a pussy, dumbass, or immoral bastard.
What about Caire Bloodhoof?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

SAMAS wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:I actually found myself agreeing with Arthas throughout most of the human campaign. Despite how it was portrayed, I thought he was justified in slaying the population of Stratholme, who would've turned into zombies anyway. Uther and Jaina were apparently too stupid to realize this little fact. However, Arthas ends up turning into a deranged psycho as the campaign goes on, so he's off my list of cool characters.
Actually, I don't think that uther and Jaina couldn't see Arthas' point about Stratholme, but that their morality made me refuse to do it. I know I felt like a First-Class monster during that mission, myself. I just found the whole idea to be abhorrent, even though had I been given that situation for real, I'd have probably done it too.
What about Caire Bloodhoof?
Either Cairne or early Arthas- even though he was corrupted I still liked him.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Re: Favorite Warcraft hero?

Post by Lancer »

Matt Huang wrote:If you could become one of the many warcraft heroes (barring post-Warcraft III arthas and Demon Illidan), who would you be?
Since you all seem to be focused on the main caimpaigns only, I have to add that Rexxar & Mojo Stormstout also count as heroes.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Going just by W3, I'd have to say Thrall. He's the only character I liked. I wanted to like Jaina, but for some reason she came off as boring. Everybody else was fucking stupid; Arthas for being a little shithead (was anybody else reminded of Anakin Skywalker in regards to Arthas? Think about it...); the Paladins, Magi, High Elves and the King of Lordaeron being a bunch of shitheads; Medivh being the motherfucker who causes it all in the first place; the Night Elves being a bunch of shitheads etc.

The only people I actually liked and rooted for were the Orcs. Out of the 4 campaigns and races, those guys were the ones I wanted to succeed. The Alliance deserved to get exterminated for being stupid. The Undead... well, they're undead - what's to like? And the Night Elves - oh my fucking god - what a bunch of xenophobic fuckheads.

Thrall. He's cool, and a leader, and the only one who really wasn't a jerk. Jaina gets points for being the only Alliance leader who survives, and she at least made an effort at evacuation, so she's second place.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'd go for Uther myself. I still say that he had little reason to trust Arthas on the whole grain thing. He hadn't seen the plague victims turning into zombies, and Arthas had been extremely insubordinate immediately before.

After Uther, I'd say Thrall. He was a visionary leader, but I looooove paladins. :P
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Grom Hellscream may have been seduced by the Legion but at least he went down fighting and didn't go out like a bitch. Otherwise, Thrall or Uther are my favorites.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Deathwing. :twisted:
JADAFETWA
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I would choose either:

-Thrall. He kicks ass and also has chain lightning which i think rocks.

-Chen Stormspout. Also kicks ass, fights drunken master style, kicks more ass, carries around a load of booze and can breathe fire.
And if he gets the magic items that i have on him in the bonus campaign he can shoot death beams !
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

2000AD wrote:I would choose either:

-Chen Stormspout. Also kicks ass, fights drunken master style, kicks more ass, carries around a load of booze and can breathe fire.
And if he gets the magic items that i have on him in the bonus campaign he can shoot death beams !
Uh, technically it shoots beams of pain.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Matt Huang wrote:
2000AD wrote:I would choose either:

Uh, technically it shoots beams of pain.
Pain, death same difference, you get them just right and you can still cause them to explode in a shower of blood :twisted:
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

The Undead and Burning Legion heroes are mostly mindless slaves or lackies. I did admire the deviousness of some of the Dreadlords, though I wouldn't want to be them.
Although the Dead Elf Ranger was pretty cool.

Actually, I wonder whether they'll show the Forsaken as just being evil undead in the next game or if they'll make them sort of likable. I mean, why do the undead have to be evil? No reason I can think of.

"Y'know, hey, sure we're undead, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends!"

Maybe get some ghouls to march around with signs saying:

"Down with the Living Man!"

"Lifeism = Speciesism!"

"Equal Last Rites!"
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Considering that the undead are a playable race in the next game (World of Warcraft) you can be 2000% sure that they are not going to simply be a evil-bad-guys-doing-bad-things-because-we-are-bad-guys type of race.

My favourite characters: Thrall, and the NE bitch that gets turned into an undead and later creates the Forsaken. I also liked the Lich.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

:wtf: The Undead are playable in WC3 already. I assume you're talking about the Burning Legion?
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Considering that the undead are a playable race in the next game (World of Warcraft) you can be 2000% sure that they are not going to simply be a evil-bad-guys-doing-bad-things-because-we-are-bad-guys type of race.
Why not? Many MMORPG's have Dark Elves, who are always viciously evil for no apparent reason.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
Shaidar Haran
Padawan Learner

Post by Shaidar Haran »

Mine's probably Sir Lothar.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Arthas just after he'd been corrupted was pretty kickass....if only because I loved the fmv shots of the armour and such. Overall though, I'd say either Thrall or Grom Hellscream

They both kicked ass.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I gotta roll with Thrall or Rexxar
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

D.Turtle wrote:My favourite characters: Thrall, and the NE bitch that gets turned into an undead and later creates the Forsaken. I also liked the Lich.
Just to correct you, it was Sylvanas Windrunner who was turned into an undead Banshee by Arthas (to spite her), and who later created the Forsaken. She wasn't Night Elf though, she was "regular" High Elf.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Why not? Many MMORPG's have Dark Elves, who are always viciously evil for no apparent reason.
True, but if you play The Frozen throne, then they do now seem to be evil for evils sake. They are trying to raise their own civilization.
My favourite characters: Thrall, and the NE bitch that gets turned into an undead and later creates the Forsaken. I also liked the Lich.
Just to correct you, it was Sylvanas Windrunner who was turned into an undead Banshee by Arthas (to spite her), and who later created the Forsaken. She wasn't Night Elf though, she was "regular" High Elf.
Are you sure?
IIRC there weren't any High Elves in ROC.
The elves on Kalimdor were the Night Elves.
The elves in Azeroth and Lordaeron etc were the High Elves (until they were mostly massacred and renamed themselves the Blood Elves).
And IIRC, Sylvanas Windrunner was on Kalimdor and was a NE archer (who tried to defend against the assault of the undead).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

The elves in Azeroth and Lordaeron etc were the High Elves (until they were mostly massacred and renamed themselves the Blood Elves).
And IIRC, Sylvanas Windrunner was on Kalimdor and was a NE archer (who tried to defend against the assault of the undead).
No. Sorry, you're wrong. I cleary recall killing her in the assault on the High Elf civilization. Boy, she was outclassed, but did she ever fight.

Tyrande Whisperwind was the Dark Elf ranger-girl.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

D.Turtle wrote:
I wrote:Just to correct you, it was Sylvanas Windrunner who was turned into an undead Banshee by Arthas (to spite her), and who later created the Forsaken. She wasn't Night Elf though, she was "regular" High Elf.
Are you sure?
Great, now you've got me doubting myself! :P :wink:

There were High Elves in ROC, they were the guys Arthas and his undead buddies were busy raping. They, like the King of Lordaeron and the Mage council of Dalaran, were too busy being stupid fuckers to bother trying to deal with the Undead Scourge. Oh well, it's their bed and they have to sleep in it...

From what I recall, Arthas rapes Lordaeron and the Elven town of Kiltharas (or whatever); during his assault on the Elven stronghold he encounters a rather spritely young Elven lass who foils him time and time again (though always retreating, Arthas's legions are relentless). Arthas finally catches up to her, and in a display of villanous ingenuity, curses her to be a banshee rather than kill her.

As for her name, I seemed to recall hers was Sylvanas Windrunner. As for the Night Elves, Tyrande is the chick on the big cat and is one of the heroes. I also remember a Night Elf Ranger Chick, but I can't recall her name right now (I do remember she wasn't central to the story in any way, shape, or form - she was available at the final battle/mission, but she kept on dying and it didn't bother the map settings).
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

I'll replay the ROC campaign (with cheats ;) ) to check, because I really can't remember that campaign too well.

Get back to you tomorrow.