If you like MST3K, you'll love 'House of the Dead'

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

If you like MST3K, you'll love 'House of the Dead'

Post by Superman »

This is quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. Yes, I have seen "Ninja Cheerleaders," I have seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and I have even seen "The Invisible Maniac," but nothing could have prepared me for the tragedy that is "House of the Dead."

Let me give you a little rundown. Have you ever seen that shoot em up arcade game that costs 50 cents per play and gives you about 30 seconds before you die from zombies? That's what this movie is based off of.

See, there is this island where a bunch of ravers are partying... only they don't know about the zombies that are in this house. Anyway, four fashionably late teens arrive after getting a ride from Captain Kirk (don't make fun of him for that name either, he will pull a knife on you) in his fishing boat. They get stuck on the island. Oh, the hijinks that ensue...

Here is my favorite: Ever notice on movies and TV shows, there will be some mini scenes between the main ones scenes? Like on the old Batman show, we see the bat symbol and music play every time it switches between the scenes with Batman and the scenes with the villains. It's sort of like a non-verbal way of saying "meanwhile, over in this part of the city..." or something like that. Well, this movie shows really quick scenes of the video game zombies getting shot. That's right, it shows scenes FROM THE GAME, complete with flashes of missed shots, shooting zombies.

The worst part of this movie is how seriously it takes itself. Good horror often has some self-parody or the ability to realize how ridiculous it all is. Not this one. Uggg…
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Holy crap, I just read that this movie actually had a theatrical release!? :shock:

Jesus H Christ! This movie's special effects were clips from the video game!
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Don't worry, I think it only lasted a week in theaters
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Truly...it's a funny movie. I've seen it, and thought "If this was even begun to be meant to be serious this would rank with Manos: Hand of Fate." And yes it taking itself serious...truly you just gotta wonder what the fuck was the director smoking.

And as for the game I could go the entire run off of 50...it's basically memory based...which sorta disappointing, but I digress...the game has a better plot
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Ghost Rider wrote:but I digress...the game has a better plot
And considering how bad light-gun game plots are...
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Unfortunately, Uwe Boll seems to have gotten his hands on quite a few other video game licenses to make into "movies."
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Comic

Watch the formating, please ~ Stormbringer
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I saw the trailer...

Fast Zombies (trendy!)
Ravers! (So...)
SEGA plugs! (right...)
"Matrix" style SFX (ok...)
Video game clips (sigh...)

Ho hum, 28 Days Later was okay, Resident Evil was better than average.

Will "Dawn of the Dead: The Remake" be the one? Or will it be another stinking corpse better shot dead (again)? Heh...
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Dawn of the Dead is supposed to be pretty good.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

Superman wrote:Holy crap, I just read that this movie actually had a theatrical release!? :shock:

Jesus H Christ! This movie's special effects were clips from the video game!
I saw this in the theatres. Can you believe that? Hey, if its zombies, then i'm there. It was just a cheap dollar cinema because i knew for sure the film would be crap.

It was bad, but not the Troma bad, or the Ed Wood bad, it was Spice World bad.

But it had zombies and brains, so it was watchable. You wouldnt believe the crappy zombie films i've seen (i.e. Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town)
I'll swallow your soul!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Re: If you like MST3K, you'll love 'House of the Dead'

Post by SylasGaunt »

Superman wrote:This is quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. Yes, I have seen "Ninja Cheerleaders," I have seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and I have even seen "The Invisible Maniac," but nothing could have prepared me for the tragedy that is "House of the Dead."
Indeed. I rented it just to see how bad it truly was and I was not prepared in the slightest.
Here is my favorite: Ever notice on movies and TV shows, there will be some mini scenes between the main ones scenes? Like on the old Batman show, we see the bat symbol and music play every time it switches between the scenes with Batman and the scenes with the villains. It's sort of like a non-verbal way of saying "meanwhile, over in this part of the city..." or something like that. Well, this movie shows really quick scenes of the video game zombies getting shot. That's right, it shows scenes FROM THE GAME, complete with flashes of missed shots, shooting zombies.
The worst part was when they quit using these as scene transitions and just sorta started chucking them out at random.. anyway I docked the movie 50 points every time it used that damn transition... ended up losing count by the time the big gun battle came around.
The worst part of this movie is how seriously it takes itself. Good horror often has some self-parody or the ability to realize how ridiculous it all is. Not this one. Uggg…
True that does hurt it a lot.. though one that that really hurts it for me is the complete lack of sense throughout :D (like why is a cop toting around a shotgun, an M4, and a patrol boat that looks to have a browning M2 on the front?)
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

Do the female characters get their clothes ripped off at least? Or is that horror movie staple overlooked? :wink:
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Thag wrote:Do the female characters get their clothes ripped off at least? Or is that horror movie staple overlooked? :wink:
There's some titty...but given the crappiness of the film...it doesn't make up for a tenth of it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

The only decent part of that movie was the music video/gun battle and I really only liked it because I thought the music there kicked ass.
JADAFETWA
Sporkzen
Padawan Learner

Post by Sporkzen »

Thag wrote:Do the female characters get their clothes ripped off at least? Or is that horror movie staple overlooked? :wink:
No titty could make up for that movie... well.. almost

nice av kuja, kain kicks ass heh
Sweet jesus on a stick! Hey isnt that what we call easter?
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

I watched the movie, and I laughed so hard at it people stared. Of course, they may have been staring at me so their brains didn't explode from the movie.

Biggest problem I had in the movie:

8 humans, armed with explosives, small arms, and automatic weapons. Only 2 of which have had trainnig in weapons usage. 1 has HtH skills.

vs

lots of zombies (slow)

Mission: cross the graveyard, to fort up in a building (ammo concerns)

Tactic used by the humans: split up and fire in all directions. I'm surprised there were no friendly fire casualties.

But what they would do with each person is a 360 pan around, while in slow motion, showing off how 'tough' each person was. One thing that would have improved that series of pan-arounds is if someone had gotten jumped while it was happening.

They also split up while going across the graveyard, leading to defeat in isolation. (I think they lost 4 people getting across, to slow zombies because they couldn't support each other)

My tactic: Everyone get into a circle, facing outwards, with maybe 1 person in the center, holding ammo. If someone runs out, the one in the center passes a fresh weapon, and reloads. No blind spots, and everyone makes it across.

The 360 pan-around was bad though. I was laughing during that part.

Of course, the times you had someone swimming, and the camera crept up from underwater, like something was coming, I thought was good.