Can someone explain the finale of Big O to me?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Can someone explain the finale of Big O to me?

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Seriously, I'm at a loss...
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Everything gets reset.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Re: Can someone explain the finale of Big O to me?

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:Seriously, I'm at a loss...
Well, that makes two of us.

What is it with the Japanese and endings that don't give any answers, raise even more questions, and don't make sense? I mean, would it kill them to provide some answers in the series finale? The ending bugged the hell out of me, and I'm the guy who enjoyed both MGS2 and Serial Experiments Lain! I just wasn't expecting Big O to take the "ultra-pretentious, confuse the audience, couldn't think of a way to tie things together" way out. :evil:

Anyway, here's a page discussing the plot. I haven't read it myself, so I don't know if it gives any reasonable explanations.
Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear? My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labors to the entire world. Wake up! Don’t be afraid of knowledge! Humans who loose the capacity to think become creatures whose existence has no value. Think, you humans who are split into two worlds! Unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, YOU MUST THINK! - Schwarzwald
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

You think you're confused, I've seen ~6 of the 13 episodes that make up the second season, I'm just fucked.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Apparently Paradigm city (if not their entire world) is basically some sort of VR setup or something. Angel apparently is the one controlling things (either erasing things, or recreating them.)

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the apparent apocalyptic war that took place, the Megadeus' (and their apparent sentience), the "tomatoes" (which appear to be genetically engineered/artificially grown children, probbly to replace the depleted humanity I suspect with a more "perfect" kind...) and so on.

I half-suspect we're seeing some sort of "divergence" from the original storyline.