fantasy cliches

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

fantasy cliches

Post by Jason von Evil »

List all fantasy cliches here.

Mine:

Elves - Always the goodie two shoes and mankinds best friend.
Orcs - Savage warmongers.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Swords that do uber things, especially derive the truth out of things.
Cliche'd blades of Occam one might say.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Dragons, wizards, the heroic band of explorers, etc.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Dorky zit faced fat guy wearing a dice bag on his belt while reeking of body odor.
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Typical fantasy book.

The dark lord threatens the peaceful people with his hordes and supernatural powers. An artifact garunteed to defeat him is bequeathed to a farmboy whose dad was a famous adventurer. After his home is attacked he sets off on a perilous quest aided by a wizard. Along the way he will visit a ruined city with an ancient evil, be chased across a wasteland, be captured and tortured, escape and grow into his powers.
The other major powers of the world will do little more than give advice that even the local tinker could provide and may give our hero some second hand magical artifacts.
At some point the hero recruits an army, but despite this army and the aforementioned hordes of the dark lord the final confrontation is a one on one event. The hero wins, gets a title, the dark lord is slain and everyone lives happily ever after.

With special thanks to an old friend. She once pointed out that it isn't totally cliched until the hero visits the ruin with the ancient evil.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Superman wrote:Dorky zit faced fat guy wearing a dice bag on his belt while reeking of body odor.
What books was that in?
delicious pies
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

The story is based around an epic quest to save the world/princess/land by finding the magical doodad and/or fighting the bad guy.

There was always some advanced super-civilization long ago which collapsed leaving plenty of their uber-artifacts for any adventurer needing find a magical doohickey to save the whatever.

Thieves are respectable in some weird way.

There are good, wise kings. There are evil kings. There is little to no gray area, and so group 1 and group 2 must fight each other endlessly.

Everything is really old to ancient, from kingdoms and castles to cool weapons. The key to beating new threats is to find awesome old stuff. New stuff is such a taboo that it is never mentioned and no one even thinks of it.

The technology is medieval European (pre-gunpowder) or lower.

I can think of many more.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Everybody has their thing. The one trait they have that is special and nobody else has.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Fantasy world is in centuries, perhaps millenia long period of stagnation with seemingly no developement. Said world also was once much more technologically advanced.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Shaidar Haran
Padawan Learner

Post by Shaidar Haran »

Elves - Always the goodie two shoes and mankinds best friend.
There are definitely some that go against that. And a lot more in which the elves are simply aloof and don't give a crap.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Strange shit will always happen every 500 years, and it will happen when the main character walks into town.

If your human and you have the hot's for an Elven hottie, be prepared to go through hell and back.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Mayabird wrote: Thieves are respectable in some weird way.
There can even be a thieves guild or better yet an assassin's guild. :wtf:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The total bastard currupt king will have a cool illegitamate heir raised by common folk...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Demiurge wrote:
Superman wrote:Dorky zit faced fat guy wearing a dice bag on his belt while reeking of body odor.
What books was that in?
I think it's called Life or The Book of Life. :D
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

World devastating war happened long time ago causing <enter effect>

Evil guy wants to revive/summon an evil thing/being/lord

Dwarves -> greedy great craftsmen in caves

Dragons -> ultimate baddie animals which must be slayed

Female main characters half nude.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Tsyroc wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
What books was that in?
I think it's called Life or The Book of Life. :D
Man was that ever a sucky fantasy novel.

I mean I read this one about the guy who gets a lot but has to deal with stupid shit like litter boxes and oh wait... :P

Still, my personal fave is nothing ever advances in either magical or technological in thousands of years of stagnation even though no more then whatever the past was, was an age of glorious invention in both parts.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Fantasy clichés?

1. They're all a very literal telling of the Hero's Journey. No-one can be bothered to think about their myth structure and what it's possible to do with it.

2. The main character is, in 90% of cases, a young man with a Special Power.

3. The world is threatened by one (or both) of either a Dark Lord, or Mysterious Dark Forces.

4. Lots of sex. Lots and lots of sex. Sex scenes are the new Elves.
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

When did sex enter the picture? :?
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Maybe he's thinking of a different use of the word "fantasy" (?)
:roll:
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

I mean I have noticed one new trilogy I've bought in the past few months that had sex breify described. But there's always a few that have some, I wouldn't be calling it the "new Elves". Unless of course he's looking on certain websites here and there for swords and socery fiction...
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Chicks in fuzzy underware and metal bra's. :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

Fantasy pretty much IS a Cliche' of it's own.
History? I love history! First, something happens, then, something else happens! It's so sequential!! Thank you first guy, for writing things down!

evilcat4000: I dont spam

Cairbur: The Bible can, and has, been used to prove anything and everything (practically!)
StarshipTitanic: Prove it.
Shaidar Haran
Padawan Learner

Post by Shaidar Haran »

Super-Gagme wrote:Fantasy pretty much IS a Cliche' of it's own.
The shitty stuff anyway. Good writers tend to have a more orginal and interesting take on things than just ripping off Tolkien for umpteen billionth time.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ghost Rider wrote: Still, my personal fave is nothing ever advances in either magical or technological in thousands of years of stagnation even though no more then whatever the past was, was an age of glorious invention in both parts.
One of the things I liked about Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series is that the people from our world were introducing ideas and technology from our world into a fantasy that has been stagnant for a long time.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.