T-Rex versus Rancor...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

T-Rex versus Rancor...

Post by Robert Walper »

The T-Rex from "Jurassic Park" versus the Rancor from "Return of the Jedi".

For the sake of argument, let's utilize the said movies as source material only.

So, which human gobbling monster chews up the competition?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The Rancor's much longer arms would be a definite advantage, I think.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Re: T-Rex versus Rancor...

Post by mauldooku »

Robert Walper wrote:The T-Rex from "Jurassic Park" versus the Rancor from "Return of the Jedi".

For the sake of argument, let's utilize the said movies as source material only.

So, which human gobbling monster chews up the competition?
The Rancor is FREAKIN' SLOW.

T-Rex, on the other hand, is rather speedy (remember the little chase scene)?

My vote goes to the T-Rex on manuvarability issues.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Remember though that the Rancor was in a rather small space, which would restrict movement.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

If the Star Wars databank is to be believed, Rancor skin is tough enough to withstand blaster bolts. While I find it hard to believe, if it's true, I don't think the T-Rex can generate enough bite pressure to penetrate it, even if it charges the rancor teeth-first.

If the "blaster-proof skin" isn't just wankery, then the rancor wins. Otherwise, the T-Rex has better speed, more mass, and is more maneuverable.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

RedImperator wrote:If the Star Wars databank is to be believed, Rancor skin is tough enough to withstand blaster bolts. While I find it hard to believe, if it's true, I don't think the T-Rex can generate enough bite pressure to penetrate it, even if it charges the rancor teeth-first.

If the "blaster-proof skin" isn't just wankery, then the rancor wins. Otherwise, the T-Rex has better speed, more mass, and is more maneuverable.
Either blasters are suddenly insanely weak (mountains of evidence against) or someone has made some überwank skin for that beastie.

I never really liked rancors anyway, T. rex looks cooler and after that bullshit fight with the spinosaur in JP3, it needs a decent win.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

I think the T-Rex would probably drown from all the slobber that the Rancor drools out of its mouth.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Zaia wrote:I think the T-Rex would probably drown from all the slobber that the Rancor drools out of its mouth.
Xenomorphs are the kings of drool, though. Don't you forg...

Oooh, ooh!

Rancor + Face Hugger = FUN!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I just want to see the Rancor rip the T-Rex's head off, or at the least, break its back. :)

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I just want to see the Rancor rip the T-Rex's head off, or at the least, break its back. :)
I want Rex to bite Rancor's balls off, or at least make it soprano. :P
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Zaia wrote:I think the T-Rex would probably drown from all the slobber that the Rancor drools out of its mouth.
Xenomorphs are the kings of drool, though. Don't you forg...

Oooh, ooh!

Rancor + Face Hugger = FUN!
Now all you would need is the deep voice of Barry White crooning to them...and sweet, sweet lovin begins
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

According to JK:Jedi Academy, a charged disruptor rifle shot that would INSTANTLY vaporize a human is shrugged off by a Rancor.
Rex is fucked.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The comic book verison o RotJ also says something about the Rancor's skin being blaster proof. Kind of makes me wonder why it felt any pain when Luke smashed it's poor little pinky winky with a skull. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:According to JK:Jedi Academy, a charged disruptor rifle shot that would INSTANTLY vaporize a human is shrugged off by a Rancor.
Rex is fucked.
Game mechanic.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

:roll: Blaster proof skin. Because if a giant animal is dangerous to a single unarmed man trapped in a cage, it must be dangerous to an armed man in a universe where hand pistols blast craters the size of human torsos in concrete walls.

Not disputing the fact, mind you, just the idiocy of the writers who came up with it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Wild Karrde
Jedi Knight

Post by Wild Karrde »

RedImperator wrote:snip
It's not just limited to the Rancor, the SW Enyclopedia says "Hutt skin is impervious to most weapons and all but the harshest chemicals. " :wtf: :?
GALE FORCE/BOTM member and all around forum lurker.Image
Equinox2003
Jedi Knight

Post by Equinox2003 »

I hope the T-Rex would win.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

I'm supporting the local team.

GO T-REX, GO!
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Wild Karrde wrote:It's not just limited to the Rancor, the SW Enyclopedia says "Hutt skin is impervious to most weapons and all but the harshest chemicals. " :wtf: :?
:wtf: Jabba was blasterproof? Why does this sound as the worst wankfest ever?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Robert Walper wrote:For the sake of argument, let's utilize the said movies as source material only.
No blaster proof (fapfapfap) skin for you mi'laddy.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

okay, let's think about this logically, now, I'm no physicist or physiologist. but, what do we know? We know the rancors bite was enough to break in half the thighbone of some other thing. we can perhaps use this to establish some kind of comparitive bite force.

we also know that the door fell on the rancor's head, handily eliminating it from the food chain. did that door spike pack as much force/energy as a blaster bolt? (I don't remember the size of the door, but I'm sure someone has the day off and can scan the laserdisc or something.) We could maybe from that determine a sort of....limit as to what the Rancor can resist. Perhaps using postulations on T-Rex's bite strength, vs. that, we can determine if the T-Rex bite can penetrate the (fapfap)'s skin.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Oh god, dont even go their. My money is on which one gets it teeth/arms abround the other one. If the T-Rex grabs the Rancor by the neck, it can probably choke it to death or break its neck.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Some pics that might help:

Keep in mind it's from a crapy bootleg DVD that's why everyting is so dark.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Robert Walper wrote: For the sake of argument, let's utilize the said movies as source material only.
:roll: Why is it that my OP can have three simple lines in it, and half a dozen posters here can miss/ignore the second one? *sigh*

Anyhow, in regards to the matchup, I'm not entirely certain who'd win. The T-Rex is obviously faster, but the Rancor does have arms. Depending upon strength of said arms, it may have a advantage there. Bite pressure for either is undetermined by myself, although the bone the Rancor crushed in ROTJ may give us a lower limit. Noticeably, the Rancor snapped the bone lengthwise, and bones are evolved to be highly resist this way. But then there is the question of the how decayed the bone was as well.

Presumeably the first one to get a hold with it's jaws would win the battle. If that is the case, the T-Rex's speed may provide victory. On the other hand, if the Rancor manages to get a hold of the T-Rex with it's arms, could be game over for T-Rex.

Damn, I think it's a close match. Hard to tell.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Robert Walper wrote:
Robert Walper wrote: For the sake of argument, let's utilize the said movies as source material only.
:roll: Why is it that my OP can have three simple lines in it, and half a dozen posters here can miss/ignore the second one? *sigh*
Because no one likes playing by TOWNMBS rules, and everyone understands Lucasfilm's policy. Duh.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter