what happened to the tolkien Elves?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Straha
Lord of the Spam

what happened to the tolkien Elves?

Post by Straha »

Right, I'm reading the Hobbit, and the part where the Dwarves head into Rivendell (s.p.? Elrond's land though) and the elves act like complete jackanapes and run around singing songs, etc. Yet in LOTRs the elves are these old, serene, dignified things. So what the hell happened?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Re: what happened to the tolkien Elves?

Post by Iceberg »

Straha wrote:Right, I'm reading the Hobbit, and the part where the Dwarves head into Rivendell (s.p.? Elrond's land though) and the elves act like complete jackanapes and run around singing songs, etc. Yet in LOTRs the elves are these old, serene, dignified things. So what the hell happened?
Sarcastic answer: The elves started taking downers to deal with their manic disorder.

Real answer: The Hobbit was not, originally, connected to The Silmarillion. It was written as a children's book, as were the first few chapters of The Lord of the Rings (basically, up until the hobbits reach Bree). When he reached Bree, Tolkien realized that The Lord of the Rings was more than a sequel to The Hobbit but it was the culmination of the millennia-long war between good and evil that had started in the early pages of the Silmarillion. So he had to redact certain elements - like the behavior of the elves - to better fit their status with respect to the Silm.

Does this help?
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

The answer is that Elves are both. They do have fun, and if you see the first pages of LotR, you can find some elves that are merrily passing into the West. But they have a heart of steel, too.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

it depend on the type of elf i think. the wood elves or those not in high office dont need to be so depressed, they live in the world of the woods, not the world of middle earth politics.
Image"Iv got little devils running round the place eating socks and pencils, earlier tonight we sobered up someone who thinks hes a god of hangovers and half my wizards are trying to cheer up the cheerful fairy." -Terry pratchett, the hogfather
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Straha wrote:Right, I'm reading the Hobbit, and the part where the Dwarves head into Rivendell (s.p.? Elrond's land though) and the elves act like complete jackanapes and run around singing songs, etc. Yet in LOTRs the elves are these old, serene, dignified things. So what the hell happened?
The Ring was found and Sauron's about to shove his size twelve steel toed boots up thier poncy elven asses. That's enough to put a damper on things, I'd say.

As for their appereance in the Hobbit, that simple has a lot to do with the simple fact that it was good times for the elves. They had a lot to be happy about. And when they are they do tend to sing and be merry like that.

Heck, even in the bad times they sing like it's a freaking musical.
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

The Ring was found and Sauron's about to shove his size twelve steel toed boots up thier poncy elven asses. That's enough to put a damper on things, I'd say.

As for their appereance in the Hobbit, that simple has a lot to do with the simple fact that it was good times for the elves. They had a lot to be happy about. And when they are they do tend to sing and be merry like that.

Heck, even in the bad times they sing like it's a freaking musical.
well i was stuck in hospital for a week once and i was humming my way through it. after a few thousand years id be singing the life story of the fly on the windowsill!
Image"Iv got little devils running round the place eating socks and pencils, earlier tonight we sobered up someone who thinks hes a god of hangovers and half my wizards are trying to cheer up the cheerful fairy." -Terry pratchett, the hogfather
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

sorry that i stuffed that quote option up, im sleepy as well as tipsy, ill try harder when i nap and sober up :D
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Don't spam.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The Ring happened. The Ring is pure evil and it affects all those around it. Its hard to party if you know Sauron is watching and could atack at any moment. Ringwraiths on the outskirts of town Orcs becoming much more plentiful. Also many of the elves had already left Middle Earth by the time of the Lord of the Rings.

So someone is crashing their party and most of the partiers have left.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

They ran out of drugs. Seriously, Ein raided them and wham. :P
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.