Lord of the Rings : Battle rediculous (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Lord of the Rings : Battle rediculous (spoilers)

Post by Omega-13 »

Just got back from the 10 pm show, after 3 and a half hours of watching the fat hobbit cry,
I couldn't help but squirm in my seat at the battle of Gondor.

How in the living shit, did the Gondor army not get crushed BEFORE the ghost army appeared?

Those elephants (which must have weighed 500 tons) were being taken down, the skin on them alone must have been a foot thick, nevermind the muscle and fat....

I think the entire battle was rediculous,
anyone else feel this way?
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Lord of the Rings : Battle rediculous (spoilers)

Post by Stofsk »

Omega-13 wrote:*snip*
Did you miss the thread in the Fantasy forum dedicated to this discussion?
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Omega-13 wrote:Just got back from the 10 pm show, after 3 and a half hours of watching the fat hobbit cry,

How in the living shit, did the Gondor army not get crushed BEFORE the ghost army appeared?

Those elephants (which must have weighed 500 tons) were being taken down, the skin on them alone must have been a foot thick, nevermind the muscle and fat....

I do, but only in the sense that I feel the complete polar opposite of that. and that the I felt the entire battle was absofuckinglutely amazing :P
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Sporkzen
Padawan Learner

Post by Sporkzen »

I think it was fanfuckingtastic personally. Over the top can be a very good thing sometimes when done right :D
Sweet jesus on a stick! Hey isnt that what we call easter?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I had to move this with my eyes closed so I wouldn't get spoiled ... *grumble*
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I did think that at least one of the Oliphants was taken down a little too easily (the one that Eowyn sliced with her sword; it's skin seemed a little thicker than that...), but overall the battle seemed pretty cool, even if it was just guys running into each other. It was certainly better than Helm's Deep, and CERTAINLY better than Matrix Revolutions.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Instead of the disciplined Uruk-Hai spear wall (which would have broken the charge of the Rohirrim cold if not for the fact that Gandalf broke the wall with his magic), the Mordor-orcs formed a loose, ragged wall of short spears which in no way was going to stop a horse charge. And they found out in short order what happens when infantry fights cavalry at such close ranges.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Iceberg wrote:Instead of the disciplined Uruk-Hai spear wall (which would have broken the charge of the Rohirrim cold if not for the fact that Gandalf broke the wall with his magic), the Mordor-orcs formed a loose, ragged wall of short spears which in no way was going to stop a horse charge. And they found out in short order what happens when infantry fights cavalry at such close ranges.
The Mordor-orcs were also rather undisciplined. I mean, they broke rather readily; the Uruk-Hai only broke after their lines were completely rent.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I would have watched, but I kept looking for Waldo....

No really I thought the ghosts merely running into people to kill them was pathetic, and the entire battle looked, fake, instead of the Battle of Helms Deep which looked cool, real, and had a dramatic background behind it.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Omega-13 wrote:Just got back from the 10 pm show, after 3 and a half hours of watching the fat hobbit cry,

Geesh, it's a fantasy film. LOTR never pretends to be anything but fantasy. I thought the movie was breathtaking and the battles key moments in cinema history, but that's just me.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

The battle and siege got tedious to watch and rather unbelievable at parts. It seemed neither side really had all that much discipline, there were so many scenes of Gondorian troops running like hell.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Iceberg wrote:Instead of the disciplined Uruk-Hai spear wall (which would have broken the charge of the Rohirrim cold if not for the fact that Gandalf broke the wall with his magic), the Mordor-orcs formed a loose, ragged wall of short spears which in no way was going to stop a horse charge. And they found out in short order what happens when infantry fights cavalry at such close ranges.
Wouldn't this highlight the superiority of the Uruk-hai over regular, undisciplined Orcs? I did think that some parts of the battle were hard to believe (Eowyn cutting down elephants with her sword, and beating the head Nazgul), but overall it was amazing.
m112880
Padawan Learner

Post by m112880 »

The battle and siege got tedious to watch and rather unbelievable at parts. It seemed neither side really had all that much discipline, there were so many scenes of Gondorian troops running like hell.
Cant say I blame them. Their leader was nuts.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Wouldn't this highlight the superiority of the Uruk-hai over regular, undisciplined Orcs? I did think that some parts of the battle were hard to believe (Eowyn cutting down elephants with her sword, and beating the head Nazgul), but overall it was amazing.
Eowyn beating the Lord of the Nazgul was in the book, silly hobbitses! In fact, that fight was filmed virtually as written (the dialogue was tightened up so it would make more sense in the span of a film fight, but that was virtually the only change I could spot).

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

I thought the battle was boring, useless, visually impressive, waste of my time. It had no direction, it seemed like the orcs just stood around for the battle while some artillery fired and trolls attacked the city. How many orcs were there? 60,000? They did NOTHING. They ran at the impact of 6,000 calvalry (umm no, that is about bullshit) without much of a fight. The Oliphants were a bit over the top the way they were depicted on screen. Helms Deep felt more real and awsome, Gondor was.. bleh :evil:
History? I love history! First, something happens, then, something else happens! It's so sequential!! Thank you first guy, for writing things down!

evilcat4000: I dont spam

Cairbur: The Bible can, and has, been used to prove anything and everything (practically!)
StarshipTitanic: Prove it.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

The Forces of Mordor were some forty-five thousand strong, to about five thousand defenders in Gondor, another six thousand Rohirrim reinforcements and a thousand rangers who arrived with Aragorn.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Iceberg wrote:The Forces of Mordor were some forty-five thousand strong, to about five thousand defenders in Gondor, another six thousand Rohirrim reinforcements and a thousand rangers who arrived with Aragorn.
Going by the book, at least. The movie battle differed considerably.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Is it just me (I doubt it is) or was the battle of Gondor closer to 60,000 men from Rohan fighting about two million Orcs, as opposed to the claimed 6000 men from Rohan against 200,000 Orcs?

As for the Oliphants, they indeed would have been near totally immune to arrows any everything else short of siege weapons. Though they also probably wouldn't have stomped through cavalry so willingly. It seemed like the things got way smaller in the close-ups, and espically after being killed.

But anyway the battle was okay, but it was dull comapred ot Helms Deep dispite all that battles stupidity, and the ending invincible swarm of undead warriors cleaning the fielding in less then two minutes was just stupid. They could have at least had to fight the Orcs, rather then simply wading through them.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Sea Skimmer wrote:It seemed like the things got way smaller in the close-ups, and espically after being killed.
I hella noticed that too. When they were first introduced in the charge (and in TTT too), they seemed freaking 4-5 stories tall, but in some scenes they were more like 2-3 stories tall. Maybe some were babies, but I fucking doubt it.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Is it just me (I doubt it is) or was the battle of Gondor closer to 60,000 men from Rohan fighting about two million Orcs, as opposed to the claimed 6000 men from Rohan against 200,000 Orcs?
It seemed that way, but the numbers should be accurate. IIRC, they fed two armies into their computer program and let them fight.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Straha wrote:No really I thought the ghosts merely running into people to kill them was pathetic, and the entire battle looked, fake, instead of the Battle of Helms Deep which looked cool, real, and had a dramatic background behind it.
I rather enjoyed the entire battle except for the Ghost part, here they were Gondor or Orc troops being flung around or crushed by huge stones, oilphants and trolls and this cheesy run through the field charging Ghost army saves the day with a damn pan out too and I'm like WTF?! If that ghost can make contact with Aragorn's sword they damn well should've stayed and fought them buggers.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Ghost thing was cool. It would only have been a copout if the last thing you saw was Aragorn going into the mountain and then all of a sudden he shows up with this huge ghost army out of nowhere.
They ran at the impact of 6,000 calvalry (umm no, that is about bullshit) without much of a fight
Do you know what happens when undisciplined, lightly armored infantry gets outflanked by charging heavy cavalry? They get fucking slaughtered, like in the movie.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Soontir C'boath wrote:I rather enjoyed the entire battle except for the Ghost part, here they were Gondor or Orc troops being flung around or crushed by huge stones, oilphants and trolls and this cheesy run through the field charging Ghost army saves the day with a damn pan out too and I'm like WTF?!
A touch is all that is needed for those dead to kill, so why would they bother doing more than that?
If that ghost can make contact with Aragorn's sword they damn well should've stayed and fought them buggers.
Aragorn's sword only made contact with the ghost's because he was the only person in the world who could command them. Anyone else would have died right then and there.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

There was at least one point where I couldn't help thinking that the defenders of Minas Tirith could have panicked the oliphants by releasing thousands of white mice onto the field. 8)
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Is it just me (I doubt it is) or was the battle of Gondor closer to 60,000 men from Rohan fighting about two million Orcs, as opposed to the claimed 6000 men from Rohan against 200,000 Orcs?
Not sure on the numbers for either, but the humans were rediculously out numbered in either case, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did, before the ghosts saved them.
As for the Oliphants, they indeed would have been near totally immune to arrows any everything else short of siege weapons. Though they also probably wouldn't have stomped through cavalry so willingly. It seemed like the things got way smaller in the close-ups, and espically after being killed.
probably just a CGI scaling error. Oliphants were so enormous, the feet would be so padded, and carrying so much momentum, why do you think they coudln't have stomped over the cavalry, it would be like us running over tomatos.
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299