Hammer vs Sauron

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Hammer vs Sauron

Post by Kitsune »

I know this is a bit on the wierd side. Assume somehow the "Good" people of Middle Earth are able to get in touch with Hammer's Slammers with Middle Earth being a distant planet. The Drwaves offer huge piles of gold to pay them off, could Slammers defeat Sauron and how many units would Slammers need to take Sauron?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Tankers, right? I can't recall quite what the Slammers use, but if it's tanks, they will win provided:

1) They have supplies. Running out of gas and munitions just into the Black Gates means they are all badly, badly fucked.

2) They maintain excellent vigil at night. A Nazgul stabbing them in their sleep would end a campaign kind of quick.

3) They don't have to pass through any of the passes Sauron and Saruman kept filling with bad weather and mountainsides.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

So far, I've never read anything about the supertanks or combat cars of Hammer's Slammers (or Frisian Defense Force, depending on the time period) ever having to refuel their fusion bottles, though their jeeps and infantry skimmers do need to connect with those fusion bottles to recharge every so often. Munition wise, all of the Slammer's vehicles can carry quite a lot, not surprising given that they are basically 2cm and 20cm plastic discs.

The Slammer's shouldn't have much to worry about with Nazgul sneaking up on them at night. Their basic commo helmets IIRC have night-vision, infrared, sound-echo, and probably a few other nifty extras. The sensors of the tanks has all that at better quality and more.

As for getting to Sauron, rough terrain isn't as much of a problem for Slammer's vehicles as they would be for real-life tanks, because they are hover vehicles. Weather (as long as it's not flooding) is not much of a concern, as long as there is a fairly wide and flat path to their destination, they'll get there.

More on Slammer's capabilities:
-Recon drones, quite low speed and designed to fly low, but should still be able to avoid almost anything that Middle Earth tech level can throw at it. Which would complement...
-Artillery units. Shells range from anti-tank (not much use in this scenario), ground-penetrator, fire-cracker (releases bomblets which throws around glass threads, deadly to those not behind cover), smoke, to the red-pill (aka nuclear).
-Powerguns, the primary type of weapon used by the Slammer's, is lightspeed and LOS. This means that everything from satellites (not a concern here), to aircrafts (or dragons), to mortar rounds, to the head that is just visible over the horizon can be hit. Sitting a couple of companies of combat cars on the top of the highest mountain they can reach would allow the Slammers to pick off targets at will.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Oh Christ, you're putting hordes of orcs up against tanks, artillery, and nukes? What was the point of this thread? lol
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Oh Christ, you're putting hordes of orcs up against tanks, artillery, and nukes? What was the point of this thread? lol
What was the point of this post?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

To point out an obvious mismatch, oh thick-skulled one.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I guess the point would be to show how technolgy can beat even incredibly powerful magic. Also, I wanted to see if there was an equalizer in Saurons arsenal which I did not know of.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Kitsune wrote:I guess the point would be to show how technolgy can beat even incredibly powerful magic. Also, I wanted to see if there was an equalizer in Saurons arsenal which I did not know of.
LOTR has extremely little magic, and what it does have isn't all that powerful. It could be defeated by victorian era units with adequete support structure.

Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Kitsune wrote:I guess the point would be to show how technolgy can beat even incredibly powerful magic.
Things that are (like?) magic exists in the Hammer's Slammers universe. It has never stopped them yet, though. :D
I know, I know... no-limits fallacy and all that...
Also, I wanted to see if there was an equalizer in Saurons arsenal which I did not know of.
Unless he can somehow stop lightspeed plasma(?) cyan death, or has a nuke dampener handy, not likely.

... Also, forgot to mention in my last post, the Slammers also has assault dropships in their arsenal. Ouch. :wink:
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists