Elves vs Drow

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Elves vs Drow

Post by Kuja »

What are the differences between the two races?

I've heard of drow as being dusky-skinned elves and I've heard that there are other differences. What?
JADAFETWA
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Re: Elves vs Drow

Post by SirNitram »

Kuja wrote:What are the differences between the two races?

I've heard of drow as being dusky-skinned elves and I've heard that there are other differences. What?
Originally, the Drow were merely another subset of elves who developed blue-black skin and white hair. When their patron pissed off the ruler of the Elven pantheon in the murky depths of prehistory, all Drow were cursed and the newly renamed Lolth led them underground. Exposed to the lethality of the races living down there, they understandably became a twisted, evil race.

Currently, they are ruled by priestesses of their cursed Goddess, and are more innately magical than any other subset of elves. They are universally reviled, but lately, more and more are turning away from evil and being accepted.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

What literature can they be found in?
JADAFETWA
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Kuja wrote:What literature can they be found in?
The Drow are exclusively a D&D race, though some fantasy has picked up on the idea of a 'cursed' race of elves. If you don't mind an author all-but-worshipping the main character, look for RA Salvatore's novels of Forgotten Realms, most are about a guy called Drizz't, a Drow who rejected evil. Just be careful.. Drizz't is written as sickeningly good.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

SirNitram wrote:
Kuja wrote:What literature can they be found in?
The Drow are exclusively a D&D race, though some fantasy has picked up on the idea of a 'cursed' race of elves. If you don't mind an author all-but-worshipping the main character, look for RA Salvatore's novels of Forgotten Realms, most are about a guy called Drizz't, a Drow who rejected evil. Just be careful.. Drizz't is written as sickeningly good.
That is why I believe that his best book in that series is Servant of the Shard. Drizz't never makes an appearance in it.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Drow are specifically D&D, but there are "dark elves" of some form or other in pretty much everything with elves.

They're a primarily evil bunch of bastards, but you can barely throw a stone on Faerun these days without hitting a chaotic good drow ranger...
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

To be even more precise, the Drow are specifically a Forgotton Realms race, not just a generic D&D one.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

How about the Dolf Alfar (sp) from Viking Legends?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Keevan_Colton wrote:To be even more precise, the Drow are specifically a Forgotton Realms race, not just a generic D&D one.
I would say no, because of, you know, The Vault Of The Drow in Greyhawk.

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Drizz't? Did 8-bit theater's Drizz'l parody that?
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Setzer wrote:Drizz't? Did 8-bit theater's Drizz'l parody that?
Yep.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

For another good look at the Drow Society (Forgotten Realms based), check out Daughter of the Drow, and it's sequel, which I can't recall the name of at this point in time, dammit!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Morality rant split. Still in the same forum.

Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I would say no, because of, you know, The Vault Of The Drow in Greyhawk.
Its very odd - the Drow started out in Greyhawk, including some very specific sites. However, as it happened, it seems that authors lifted the Drow wholesale - cities and all - and placed them in Forgotten Realms, where they have comfortably stayed, much to the dismay of Faerun and the joy of Greyhawk. Oddly, they picked up and took their entire history with them, which they cheerfully inserted into the annals of FR.

For another look at the Drow, try the "war of the Spider Queen" series. I've read the first two and found them happily full of conspiracy, adventure, violence, and the usual Drow depravity, and I'm told the third is much the same. RA Salvatore, who actually created much of Drow society by virtue of being the first one to really write in detail about them, built the plotline of the story and then got a bunch of promising authors to write each book. So far its impressively coherent and tightly written.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Most of the generic Greyhawk rules are designed to be leverable into any D&D setting. Even more so now that it's all gone a bit D20, as the rules are all interchangealbe.

In fact, the current sourcebooks are written specifically with as little setting information as possible, to help you define them in whatever setting you so please.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Vendetta wrote:Most of the generic Greyhawk rules are designed to be leverable into any D&D setting. Even more so now that it's all gone a bit D20, as the rules are all interchangealbe.

In fact, the current sourcebooks are written specifically with as little setting information as possible, to help you define them in whatever setting you so please.
Which annoys me. I miss Planescape already; it was such a rich and detailed setting, with so many interesting things. At least you can import most things from 2nd rather painlessly.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

planescape was awesome. and unlike most other campaign worlds things weren't quite so black and white on whether or not someone was good and evil. at least not in the city of Sigil anyways.

plus the whole guild thing really was icing on the cake. too bad more D&D settings don't incorporate something similar.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Vampire killed it, so I blame White Wolf. I blame White WOlf for many other things, too, but this one the actually deserve.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

White Wolf did not killed it- TSR is full of their own mistakes...
Dark Sun was a very interesting setting they killed...Dragonlance...this new edition sucks and is offensive...Planescape was awesome - the artwork then...I remember the first time But they need money, so anything that did not sold and was not traditional hack and slash (because the dumb audience only likes it - this killed White Wolf Games also) was left over and sometimes even erased from continuity...
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

SirNitram wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Most of the generic Greyhawk rules are designed to be leverable into any D&D setting. Even more so now that it's all gone a bit D20, as the rules are all interchangealbe.

Which annoys me. I miss Planescape already; it was such a rich and detailed setting, with so many interesting things. At least you can import most things from 2nd rather painlessly.
Yeah, but if you've already got the 3e/3.5e rulebooks, and the manual of the planes, it's the work fo about five minutes to create D20 versi0ons of anything you need to run Planescape.

It'd be nice if they did reissue the setting, but until then, you can make do...

(The DM I play with makes up his own settings anyway, as do I whan I'm DM, so I don't really care.)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Kitsune wrote:How about the Dolf Alfar (sp) from Viking Legends?
Norse "dark elves" are the Svartalfar (literal: Black Elves)
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Smiling Bandit wrote:For another look at the Drow, try the "war of the Spider Queen" series. I've read the first two and found them happily full of conspiracy, adventure, violence, and the usual Drow depravity, and I'm told the third is much the same. RA Salvatore, who actually created much of Drow society by virtue of being the first one to really write in detail about them, built the plotline of the story and then got a bunch of promising authors to write each book. So far its impressively coherent and tightly written.
Yeah, this is a good series, must-read for anyone into Drow society. New book comes out every 6 months, the 4th is this January.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Isn't there a webcomic out there involving Drow?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Dalton wrote:Isn't there a webcomic out there involving Drow?
Well, several involve Drow, but you're probably thinking of Drow Tales. It's got good art, but for some reason I've never been able to get into it. :|
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

On The Subject Of The Drow
Gamerjargon.Com wrote: drow, Drow Elf, Drow Elves; Drow,The, p.n., D&D-ism
1. in Scottish folklore, a small maleovelent creature (possibly a gnome or a fairy) which lives in the water; there is a land dwelling equivalent called a trow. [LM]
2. in D&D, the Ultima series, and many other fantasy milieux, a race of
evil elves, often with black skin, or with blue skin and white hair.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"