The Culture vs Cthulhu

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

The Culture vs Cthulhu

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Seeing as how, from what I know of them, they are polar opposites, who wins and why?
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Depends on whether or not Minds are affected by Cthulhus' insanity inducing prescence.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Depends on whether or not Minds are affected by Cthulhus' insanity inducing prescence.
Well... as I understand it, Cthulhu causes people to go insane by causing them to suddenly realize just hwo little they matter in the order of things. A Culture mind woudl already comprehend that, and just downright wouldn't care, so I'm not sure it would.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I thought they went insane because they were suddenly confronted with a 5-10 story tall demon who was hell bent on destroying the human race, but then that's just my take.
Either way Gridfire wins.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The body is destroyed, but the spirit lives on....
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

The spirit gets to deal with the culture drone that sublimed shortly there after. :twisted:
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

DPDarkPrimus wrote:The body is destroyed, but the spirit lives on....
Don't know about that. Was Cthulhu just a priest who happend to get some power form the Gods, or was he an actual Elder Thing?
Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

If Cthulhu only rises when the stars are right, then the Culture only has to do some creative demolition work on the right solar systems. Chalk this up as a win for the Culture.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Tatterdemalion wrote:If Cthulhu only rises when the stars are right, then the Culture only has to do some creative demolition work on the right solar systems. Chalk this up as a win for the Culture.
Bah, I can see the mythos being a good diplomacy scheme in the future.

"Join us... or we feed you to a giant squid head monster after you're mind is broken."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Cthuluhu gets hired for something by SC... :D
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

NecronLord wrote:Cthuluhu gets hired for something by SC... :D
ACtually... I can see that... *begins considering warped and demented fanfics...*
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

But what could the Culture possibly offer Cthulhu that would pursuade it to work for them? (Please assume that they would actually have to fulfill their offer.)
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Don't know about that. Was Cthulhu just a priest who happend to get some power form the Gods, or was he an actual Elder Thing?
A little of both, actually. He is an evil Elder Thing, but he's also an evil high priest.
But what could the Culture possibly offer Cthulhu that would pursuade it to work for them? (Please assume that they would actually have to fulfill their offer.)
Obviously, Cthuhlu is in desperate need of a hug. He must have had a very bad childhood, so we're going to help him get his life back in order, start a vegetarian diet, and pay for weekly psychotherapy.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:But what could the Culture possibly offer Cthulhu that would pursuade it to work for them? (Please assume that they would actually have to fulfill their offer.)
Survival....
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

DPDarkPrimus wrote:But what could the Culture possibly offer Cthulhu that would pursuade it to work for them? (Please assume that they would actually have to fulfill their offer.)
The souls of the damned!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
The souls of the damned!
That doesn't sound very ethical. :P
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The new ambassador to the Affront? :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

fgalkin wrote:
The new ambassador to the Affront? :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Well, that would remove problems with eating the weird food...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Cthulhu would probably fuck up a few culture vessels and eat a lot of people, but otherwise he's a minor irritation who can be blasted out of existance every now and then.

Nyarlathotep on the other hand would be a true challenge.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

weemadando wrote:Cthulhu would probably fuck up a few culture vessels and eat a lot of people, but otherwise he's a minor irritation who can be blasted out of existance every now and then.

Like I said, if he becomes a problem 5 or six humans and/or drones sublime and cluster fuck it.
The new ambassador to the Affront?
Lol, probably the best idea yet. Cthulhu might change sides though.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

What about THE COLOUR OF SPACE?!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:
weemadando wrote:Cthulhu would probably fuck up a few culture vessels and eat a lot of people, but otherwise he's a minor irritation who can be blasted out of existance every now and then.

Like I said, if he becomes a problem 5 or six humans and/or drones sublime and cluster fuck it.
Errrr... No. Cthulhu can be physically destroyed, but he reforms in a matter of minutes. Not really the best thing.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

weemadando wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:

Errrr... No. Cthulhu can be physically destroyed, but he reforms in a matter of minutes. Not really the best thing.
That's why subliming is involved. When you can become a God, you can handle some uppity high priest.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

weemadando wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:

Errr... No. To give an explanation of the Sublimed, a spiecies that the Culture were dealing with had a small portion of their race sublime for what seemed like no apparent reason. It was soon discovered, that these Sublimed had created an entire Afterlife for their (original?) spiecies. Subliming is often refered to as the "Hit the fuck-it-all button" (IIRC, paraphrased quote. Excession I think, when a drone (Chrut Lyn, IIRC) is explaining the history of the Affront. Their nearest neighbors sublimed, and I think she described it as such, adding that it was quite a rude thing to do, although it may have been when the Affront ambassador was talking with the sublimer cultists)