New Shinichiro Watanabe project!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Joe
Space Cowboy

New Shinichiro Watanabe project!

Post by Joe »

http://www.samuraichamploo.com/

This looks cool. It's all in Japanese, but you can still look at the images and view the short trailer.

Also, Mahiro Maeda (the guy who directed both Second Renaissance shorts) and Dai Sato, one of the guys who wrote Bebop, are both on board.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Great team, but I find the feudal Japan scene to be too common now along with giant mechas. I prefer it when talent like this goes about something more original.

I'll keep a look out for it, mind.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Great team, but I find the feudal Japan scene to be too common now along with giant mechas. I prefer it when talent like this goes about something more original.

I'll keep a look out for it, mind.
One of the characters has modern clothing on. I don't think it's in feudal Japan.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Read about this in Newtype. I'll post a transcript of the article if you guys want.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Read about this in Newtype. I'll post a transcript of the article if you guys want.
If it's not a bother, sure.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Definately can't be during the feudal eras (710-1333, roughly), as the girl's kimono is a more modern design within the last 300 years or so (at least the Edo [1603-1868] or Meiji [1868-1912] periods).

Looks like a modern setting to me, based on what limited information there is right now, though.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

It actually looks a bit like the anime sequence from Kill Bill; the character design of the younger female in particular somewhat resembles O-Ren as a little girl.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Durran Korr wrote:It actually looks a bit like the anime sequence from Kill Bill; the character design of the younger female in particular somewhat resembles O-Ren as a little girl.
Yeah I saw that resemblance too.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

It looks like the animation director is actually Nakazawa Kazuto, the same guy who was the Chief Animator for the Kill Bill anime sequence. I am one perceptive motherfucker.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Also, the turnover time for this series could be pretty quick assuming it's successful in Japan, because it would probably be very successful here.

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Definately can't be during the feudal eras (710-1333, roughly), as the girl's kimono is a more modern design within the last 300 years or so (at least the Edo [1603-1868] or Meiji [1868-1912] periods).
It could be an anachronism....
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Definately can't be during the feudal eras (710-1333, roughly), as the girl's kimono is a more modern design within the last 300 years or so (at least the Edo [1603-1868] or Meiji [1868-1912] periods).
It could be an anachronism....
It's not.

Clothing in Japan was very different during the feudal age when you compare it to that worn in the eras during and after the restructuring.

Seeing as the girl is wearing a fairly modern kimono, and that the men are also dressed in modern clothes, the series probably takes place within the last 200 years or so, which is far more modern than the feudal eras.

But my post was intended as more of a correction as to when the feudal eras actually were, as it appeared that a few of the others confused them with the later Shogun or post-unification eras.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Scratch that: definately withing the last 200 years, but more likely within 50. The character Mugen wears very modern clothes, and Jinn's glasses are modernly stylish.