Ghostbusters - Favorite Tool of Trade

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Ghostbusters, over the course of 2 films, have presented an arsenal the like of which has never been seen before. Which ghostbusting tool is your favorite?

Proton Pack
74%
Ghost Trap
8%
PKE Meter
3%
Ecto-1
11%
Slime Blower
5%
Containment Unit/Storage Facility
No votes
Ghost-Sniffer
No votes
Geiga meter
No votes
ECto-Goggles
No votes

Total votes: 38

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

JME2 wrote:No man! God that's not what it does!

What happens is this:

The backpack generator provides the pack's power. It is a miniature nuclear accelerator, whose fuel cells have a half-life of five thousand years. Obviously, power is not a problem. The raw nuclear energy is then fed into the proton gun, where it is stripped of almost all of it's electrons. This creates a beam of positively-charged energy.

In order to keep the energy from dispersing, the proton gun also emits a thin beam of ordinary, negative electricity. The two working together form the proton beam. Since the negatively-charged electricity's effect is negligible, the proton beam retains it's strong positive charge. When this beam comes into contact with ectoplasm, the opposite charges attract and the ghost is "lassoed" in the proton beam.
Hey, my explaination is paraphrased straight from the first movie. Ghostbusters had some of the best technobabble. :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Indeed. Harold Ramis (Egon) maintains to this day that the crossing of the streams was not meant to be linked to urinals.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Here we got.

Egon: There is something very important I forgot to tell you.

Peter: What?

Egon: Don't cross the streams.

Peter Why?

Egon: It would be bad.

Peter: I'm a little fuzzy on the good/bad thing... what is bad?

Egon: Imagine for a second all life ending instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Ray: Total protonic reversal...

Peter: And that's bad. OK, important safety tip there.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

[geek]Actually, that should be "life as you know it...[/geek]

I like the Proton Pack. The stream is no doubt the coolest particle beam ever. The PKE-meter is also cool. I've built a PKE-meterish device that senses electrical fields and it has those wings that the PKE-meter has (not the flashing LEDs though). My physics teacher liked it. I would post a few pictures of it, if I could just get it working properly again...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Weird, tonight were perfoming a Haloween show in marching band at the game and the song is 'Ghostbusters'.

I vote for proton pack.
Equinox2003
Jedi Knight

Post by Equinox2003 »

I always liked the Goggles myself.
Off topic, but still in the GB world, I liked the first film better than
the second one. I still chuckle when Murray keeps zapping that guy
at the start of the movie.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Honestly, I probably paid more attention to Ghostbusters than Star Wars growing up. The first movie owned, and so did the cartoon. The toys kicked major ass too. And I had the game for Commodore 64.

The second movie was nowhere near as good as the first though. and the cartoon eventually started to suck. I learned to fucking hate Slimer...

I saw a couple episodes of Extreme Ghostbusters when it was on. I really wanted to hate it, but the animation and writing appeared to be up to snuff. I was particularly impressed to see that they were actually bent on keeping continuity with the old Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Honestly, I probably paid more attention to Ghostbusters than Star Wars growing up. The first movie owned, and so did the cartoon. The toys kicked major ass too. And I had the game for Commodore 64.

The second movie was nowhere near as good as the first though. and the cartoon eventually started to suck. I learned to fucking hate Slimer...

I saw a couple episodes of Extreme Ghostbusters when it was on. I really wanted to hate it, but the animation and writing appeared to be up to snuff. I was particularly impressed to see that they were actually bent on keeping continuity with the old Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
Indeed, from the return of old foes, like the Grundel and Surt, to the original Boys in Grey kicking ass once more in Back in the Saddle.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Gotta be the proton pack. It looks cool, it sounds cool, and when it's fired, it's just plain badass.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

RedImperator wrote:Gotta be the proton pack. It looks cool, it sounds cool, and when it's fired, it's just plain badass.
Here's a fun piece of trivia - in early drafts of the 1st film, after the hotel bust, a bystander asks Egon if Superman could withstand the proton pack. Egon says it would cut through him like a hot knife through butter.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

JME2 wrote:Indeed, from the return of old foes, like the Grundel and Surt, to the original Boys in Grey kicking ass once more in Back in the Saddle.
Do you have to sound like a promotional press release for everything you talk about? :wink:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster