What else can the one ring do

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

the influence is the Myth's structure. We have similar sittuations in old myths as the Greeks. In those myths you can not avoid "fate". Destiny.
That is my opinion the case with Witch King - He is not invulnerable to the weapons (more than the usual need present in Tolkien's to have a magical weapon to hurt magical things). His fate is Only to be killed by a woman (this is I take off even the hobbit- The woman killed him).
So the destiry will take care to allow such sittuations to happens - Clearly- Gandalf was leaving to face him ,but was stopped by Deneathor's crazy attempt to burn Faramir - this is destiny working in the mythlogical sense, leaving Eowyn to face him "alone".
They had magical weapons that can hurt him - somewhere in the story they had access to those weapons by "chance".
Eowyn take the hobbit with her, again "chance" because it is the hobitt that would allow her time to strike the final blow.
(we can speculate that if there was a man there, something would happen to make him not make the final blow. In the dread Darth vs. Witch King treat, we can imagine a sittuation where Darth commands his Destroyer to blow a planet and by chance - working since ever - a woman to happen to press the final button - This is just a example, i have no interest to conduit this debate again, neither to be very precise about the details such "there would be no woman there")
So, "fate" have made , fate that WK can not avoid, to him to meet a woman with a weapon ready to kill him. Fate have made him to be able to "avoid" sittuations that could lead to the other result. Rather than WK invulnerability ,it is the "worlds" vulnerability to destiny.
And, that anyways, have little to do with the One Ring. That was not the one ring who created this fate (the one ring, Sauron, Gandalf are all powerless as they can not control fate was well).
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

lgot wrote:*snip*
I agree with you for the most part, except your assertion that events would by necessity play out that a women would end up doing him in in a versus scenario. If Darth Vader ever somehow came face to face with the Witch King, then destiny and fate have already been thrown out the window. Darth Vader is an unallowed for variable: he is outside the "fate" that is being played out on Middle-Earth. Claiming otherwise would essentially be the same as claiming that since we know Emperor Palpatine will end up dying in the throne room in RotJ, he will win any debate that takes place beforehand. Of course, if someone wanted to write a *story* about such an encounter, they could make it different.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I don't think the Witch King meant for that to be any kind of prophecy. He was just saying he didn't believe any mortal could stop him. Eowyn's reply was just, well, tough talk, and the end of it all was mean to be ironic, but not an example of prophecy.

The Witch-King's spells could have been undone by anyone with those short swords and someone to stab the Witch-King dead (well, more dead). While it was not exactly chance that brought that pair to kill the the Lor dof Angmar, it was not meant to be "Macbeth-like" moment. If Tolkein had, he would have mentioned that in Book I.

There was no sort of fate protecting the Witch-King, but rather, he'd woven spells over himself even stronger than his natural ethereal nature, such that any weapon turned against him would shatter and break, and hurt the wielder. That, and the fact that normal weapons could kill him, were pretty potent tools. But when hit by the Westernesse sword, his spells were undone and his spirit made vulnerable.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Re: What else can the one ring do

Post by Shrykull »

Johonebesus wrote:
Shrykull wrote:Besides make you invisible, I know that Sauron was able to transform the human king's into ring wraiths after he captured all thier rings.
Actually, Sauron did not make the Nazgûl into wraiths, that was simply an effect of their rings. It would have happened whether Sauron held them or not. The rings, including the One, had the effect of granting immortality to their possessors, but since it is unnatural for a mortal to never die, they eventually became wraiths, creatures caught in between physical and spiritual states.
Ok, so that explains why the human kings became ring wraiths, and why the elves who were given rings didn't become them, but why not dwarves who were given rings, they don't live eternal lives.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Ok, so that explains why the human kings became ring wraiths, and why the elves who were given rings didn't become them, but why not dwarves who were given rings, they don't live eternal lives.
The simple and literal answer is that Dwarves are tough and earthy. They are as hard as stone. The rings *tried* to affect them, but were unable to get much a grip. The only effect was to greatly increase their natural tendencies. So they mined and hoarded; the dwarf kings of that age saw fit to accumulate vast treasures. Since the rings enhanced their natural telents, their skill at craftsmanship was also increased, and they made many awesome treasures in that time, including Bilbo's mithril coat.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!