A Glory Question (Buffy)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

A Glory Question (Buffy)

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

How powerful do you think she is at her full power, before she was banished to Earth? Here's a speculation thread, just post your theories. (It's something I've been podering b/c I am conceiving a little Return of Glory fanfic) From what I know she can't omnipotent b/c she was banished plain and simple, but might be close. Got anything to post let me know.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

She was a G-O-D
All powerful maybe?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

^ Damm no edit.
The only thing that was holding Glory back was her link to ben. If she hadn't had to devote her energies to supressing him and keeping control of her body she would have been unstoppable. Well, if she wasn't a thick as two short planks anyway.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Well it varies.

I mean Thor is a God but for the most part Norse Mythos don't exactly place him in what we would consider all powerful to any real extent.

Glory could be similar...she could go for either really strong immortal to creator of universes.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Crazedwraith wrote:She was a G-O-D
All powerful maybe?
I wouldn't think she was omnipotent she was contained, I doubt a true omnipotent could be contained, at best limit their powers. My guess is that she is like Zeus and the Olympians they ruled but their powers can be challenged and overthown. But that's a guess.

-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Gods have limits and discernable power level as well, you know.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Since we know absolutely nothing about her true power, your imagination is the limit. She seemed to have some connection with mental power or inducing insanity (with the whole brain-sucking thing) so you could play that up. You could make her capable of mind controlling lots of people or driving people crazy by just her presence or something similar and combine that with more stereotypical god powers like throwing around destructive energy, weather manipulation, near-invulnerability, etc. In the end, whatever you think will make the most effective story is best.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I think at her full power, Buffy would have died at the first few encounters. Glory herself states that it's the "niggling pinch of humanity that makes her go for the hurt instead of the kill". The writers and producers back this up. Though had she killed Buffy it's likely she would have not found out it was Dawn, but then again who knows.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Well thanks for all the speculation and ideas. Interstingly I was thinking of utilizing her mental abilities. Knowing that Buffy would easily lose to Glory at full power, I thought of ways that Buffy could at least hold her own, Willow would be of considerable help, but then I think introing a new character, with his own backstory, and filling in some gaps with Glory's backstory.

Thanks a bunch

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

If any one wants a synopsis I can post at a later time.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:Well thanks for all the speculation and ideas. Interstingly I was thinking of utilizing her mental abilities. Knowing that Buffy would easily lose to Glory at full power, I thought of ways that Buffy could at least hold her own, Willow would be of considerable help, but then I think introing a new character, with his own backstory, and filling in some gaps with Glory's backstory.

Thanks a bunch
Just be careful about the new character -- I can smell a Mary Sue or a Marty stu at 10 paces...just be careful with the new guy (and remember buffy's core theme of female empowerment).
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Considering that the Watcher's council considered Glory a god it seems to imply some sort of difference from a demon. If could be just a different classification due to origin but IMO the way they said it suggested to me that a god would be more powerful than a demon.

So, up to that point that would mean that at full power she'd be something worse than the giant snake demon that the Mayor turned into.

I'd be inclined to think she'd be greater than any of the demons we've seen on BTVS or Angel that have come after as well but that's just my feeling.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

I wonder who would win in a fight.....

Glory versus the Beast(from Angel season4)
both are tough SOB's
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Death from the Sea wrote:I wonder who would win in a fight.....

both are tough SOB's
If were talking "human" Glory I think the Beast can take her because it is so much harder to damage him. Then the question is whether he his blows would approximate those of the Slayer using a god-forged weapon (the Troll Hammer). It might be that Glory really couldn't have been hurt any other way than by something forged by a god. In that case the Beast is in trouble, although the fight is going to be pretty long.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Tsyroc wrote:
Death from the Sea wrote:I wonder who would win in a fight.....

both are tough SOB's
If were talking "human" Glory I think the Beast can take her because it is so much harder to damage him. Then the question is whether he his blows would approximate those of the Slayer using a god-forged weapon (the Troll Hammer). It might be that Glory really couldn't have been hurt any other way than by something forged by a god. In that case the Beast is in trouble, although the fight is going to be pretty long.
I disconcur, I think Glory could take him, albeit barely, she took hits from a Troll God's Hammer and just didn't die.
She slaughtered the Soldiers of Byzantium within seconds. Punched through rock (in a blatant Matrix homage.) She tore the front wall off a house and broke through a magical shield which Willow made and some monks were working for hours to bring down.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Majin Gojira wrote:
THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:Well thanks for all the speculation and ideas. Interstingly I was thinking of utilizing her mental abilities. Knowing that Buffy would easily lose to Glory at full power, I thought of ways that Buffy could at least hold her own, Willow would be of considerable help, but then I think introing a new character, with his own backstory, and filling in some gaps with Glory's backstory.

Thanks a bunch
Just be careful about the new character -- I can smell a Mary Sue or a Marty stu at 10 paces...just be careful with the new guy (and remember buffy's core theme of female empowerment).
Trust me I am a huge fan of female Heroines, for the most part it will do her justice. In the end she defeats the new character. As for Mary Sue or Marty stu care to elaborate?? He's a teacher of sorts. More info soon.

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

I'd say my main problem is how to better incorporate Xander and Anya into it there are aspects where I'd like to explore, but it might be risky. Plus I thought I'd have a problem with having the new character overshadow the others bc/ of the backstory he has but since he is going to be a mysterious person who gives up snippets of his story at a time, to the scoobs. Plus I bring back a character as well.

I'm very open to Suggestions!! :wink:

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote: Trust me I am a huge fan of female Heroines, for the most part it will do her justice. In the end she defeats the new character.
Excelent
As for Mary Sue or Marty stu care to elaborate??
Basically, think Wesley Crucher on "The Next Generation".

Here's a link to an article on the subject.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:I'd say my main problem is how to better incorporate Xander and Anya into it there are aspects where I'd like to explore, but it might be risky. Plus I thought I'd have a problem with having the new character overshadow the others bc/ of the backstory he has but since he is going to be a mysterious person who gives up snippets of his story at a time, to the scoobs. Plus I bring back a character as well.

I'm very open to Suggestions!! :wink:
Give them a scene or two where they are using their talents to their fullest (Carpentry and Demonology, respectably).

Another option would be a post-coital discussion of the events that are going on around them.

Those are just off the top of my head...
Browncoat

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Majin Gojira wrote:
THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote: Trust me I am a huge fan of female Heroines, for the most part it will do her justice. In the end she defeats the new character.
Excelent
As for Mary Sue or Marty stu care to elaborate??
Basically, think Wesley Crucher on "The Next Generation".

Here's a link to an article on the subject.
Interesting article, but kinda scary. For the most part I don't think the new character fits in with the Mary Sue classification, to a degree. Buffy sees him as untrustworthy and they clash on how to deal with evil. He sees Buffy as kinda juvenile and Idealistic. But the get along for a while and a trust is established.

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Actually This character is based on another fanfic, completely unrealated to the Buffyverse. Now what I reveal may cause problems, the character is an Immortal. My other Fanfic is loosely based on Highlander and could fit into either continuity (first movie TV series) but different character, mine is 11,000 years old and is a jaded (realist), but very powerful warrior. The concept came to me as I got back into wacthing Buffy a few months back. I think it could work which is why ideas in my head have been changing every day.

As for Glory I even refined her backstory more than what was given on show.

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Oh and thanks for the input.

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

As for refining Glory's Backstory and developing a conncetion to my new character. As said in the episode where they reveal her origins, she is cast out of her dimension, and is sent to Earth 100,000 (at the most 400,000) years in the past. She begins to rule the earth and the unfortunate Humans for many years along with her powerful minions. Of course the Human get tired of tyrany and some extreme cult try to develop ways to Stop her, it takes thousands of years but the Cults assemble some of the most powerful warriors witches, warlocks to combine their efforts. Ultimately their Armies reach to the Tens of thousands and they effortlessly crush Glory's powerful minions practically bringing them to extinction. They eventually fight Glory but are severly and hopelessly out powered, she kills all of them effortlessly with a huge glowing ball of energy, one of them berely suvives the attack and manages to contain Glory with a powerful spell, before he dies. Although Glory's attack is responsible for the start of the second Ice age and the near extinction of the Human race. Two Immortals know of the event, but one was there to see it.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Wouldn't it make more sense to have her in her dimension? Causing pain and the such for everyone.

- George Carlin
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Gandalf wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to have her in her dimension? Causing pain and the such for everyone.
That is her Backstory remember she gets kicked out of dimension sometime in the past and is contained in a Human body. I was merely trying to refine her backstory.