Best anime soundtrack

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Best anime soundtrack

Post by Bertie Wooster »

The past couple of years I've noticed more and more of my friends who are very much into music starting to buy/procure soundtracks to anime movies. This is somewhat surprising because some of them are musicians who listen to punk (some of it awful in my opinion) while others are into stuff like radiohead, Mary Timony, portishead, Flaming lips - very few of them are into anime however, which tells me that the anime genre is doing an exceptional job of creating some good music as well as visual art. What are some of the best anime soundtracks out there?

DOn't get me wrong- I've heard some horrible music watching anime movies, but some of it is pretty damn moving.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

The Cowboy Bebop soundtracks are pretty good.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

FLCL, Bebop, Lain and some others have exceptional soundtracks. The fact that they are becoming more famous is good, excellent.
*Places hands together under nose*
*Grins like an evil cat*
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Akira. Geinoh Yamashirogumi kicks total ass.

But I also think that Yoko Kanno is one of the best composers to ever live. Easily in the Top 25...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Anything by Yoko Kanno, I think that says it all.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Stand Alone Complex has a really stellar soundtrack, shows you just how far Yoko Kanno's range stretches.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Thanks for all the leads. I'll definately be checking out Kanno's stuff.

-Bertie
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Oh, Cowboy Bebop, definately. The sheer variety of genres (and the VOLUME of music) the series had was impressive alone, not to mention that they were all supurb. To date, there are 3 series OSTs, Vitaminless (a miniCD from the series), a two-disc OST from the movie, and a four-CD (plus a mini CD) boxset from the series.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Inu Yasha has one nice soundtrack. Well, actually two. Change the World is one of my favorite openings. Tribal themes throughout the OSTs. Fukai Mori is an excellent ending.

Uuchu no Stellvia has a soundtrack that should dissapoint no one. The opening/ending themes are the best of any anime from the past 5 years, no joke. If you don't care for the BGM, grab the singles.

I know that it's trendy to hate on DBZ, but you can't hate on the OSTs and other releases. Check out Vegeta-sama no Oryouri Jigoku (Vegeta's Cooking Hell) from the character song album, and hear Ryo Horikawa go insane. DBZ has some of the best BGM of any anime, but the best selections are scattered among the 10+ albums and OSTs.

I think Bebop is overrated as an anime, but the music is no joke. I don't have the OST, however, since everyone else loves it and I enjoyed the music from the series, I'd have to give it a recommendation.

.Hack is one boring anime. The soundtrack is what kept me watching the series. There is not one BGM from the anime that I wouldn't consider awesome. OST is highly recommended.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

FLCL, Stellvia, many of the pieces from Cowboy Bebop, the list goes on.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Cowboy Bebop had good music. I have to say that Hack/Sign had wonderful stuff, although I have no idea as to whether they have a soundtrack for that or not.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Hamel wrote:I think Bebop is overrated as an anime, but the music is no joke. I don't have the OST, however, since everyone else loves it and I enjoyed the music from the series, I'd have to give it a recommendation.
There are actually quite a few OSTs, including one for the movie. Not all of them are currently in print, either.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Exonerate wrote:Cowboy Bebop had good music. I have to say that Hack/Sign had wonderful stuff, although I have no idea as to whether they have a soundtrack for that or not.
It exists.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Shenlong_Mizuno
Redshirt

Post by Shenlong_Mizuno »

All my friends think I'm nuts but after watching Macross2 I rushed to buy both soundtracks. The songs are so pretty 8)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The soundtrack to Escaflowne: The Movie - hands down in my case. My reasons are as follows: The music is spectacular, with a combination of a John Williams-esque score with wonderful choral element.
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

Stellvia and Noir immediately pop in the mind. And everything by Yoko Kanno.
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

JME2 wrote:The soundtrack to Escaflowne: The Movie - hands down in my case. My reasons are as follows: The music is spectacular, with a combination of a John Williams-esque score with wonderful choral element.
Meh, the series' music was much better. Not much can surpass the twin glories of "Blaze" and "Gloria".
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Mr. Mister
Youngling

Post by Mr. Mister »

Presumably I'm the only one of us who's going to fess up to watching a shoujo series, else I can think of no other reason why this soundtrack hasn't been mentioned.

Revolutionary Girl Utena! Come on, people! One, you've got sweet just general background instrumentals ("Scarlet of the Campus", "Legend: The God's Name is Abraxus", "Overture"... ah!). But, more importantly... duel choruses. Oh sweet blissful orgasm of the ear! J.A. Seazer's duel choruses for the Utena series are simply excellent. They're surreal. They have menace and energy and mood. Ah. My. Perfection! The overly simplified description is what would have happened if a good 80's metal band (Kill 'em All-era Metallica, or Def Leppard around Hysteria, say) had co-written the Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi section of the Carmina Burana with Orff. But, that description so totally sells short the splendor of songs like "Internal Clock: Municipal Orrery" and "Magic Lantern Butterfly Moth 16th Century" (I'm assuming whoever translated that title used Babelfish).

Seriously. Yeah, it's a show that prominently features swordfighting lesbians, The End of the World, and deviant sexuality, and likes to induce the "What the Hell?" reaction at least twice an episode, but the music... Listen. To. It!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Full Metal Panic's opening song's good too. There's a full-version of it available for download on some site somewhere.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Exonerate wrote:Cowboy Bebop had good music. I have to say that Hack/Sign had wonderful stuff, although I have no idea as to whether they have a soundtrack for that or not.
They've included a .hack series soundtrack with each Special Edition release of .hack//SIGN. The first two volumes had .hack//SIGN OSTs 1 and 2, vol3 had the .hack//Liminality OST, and vol4 had the .hack//EXTRA OST.

They apparently released the first OST separately in the past week (or coming week), too.

Other great tracks:
Anything and everything by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Earth Girl Arjuna, Turn A Gundam, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
FLCL Soundtracks (or pretty much anything by The Pillows)
Sakura Diaries OP & ED
Full Metal Panic OP & ED
NieA_7 ED
Lain soundtracks (OST and Cyberia; Bootleg is entirely low-key BGM and most songs are barely a minute save one that's about 5 minutes long)
Angelic Layer OP & ED (plus mixes)
Noir OSTs (same woman who does the .hack soundtracks)
His & Her Circumstances OSTs (great mood-setting stuff)
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)